Another new commuter

Resg

Another new commuter

Postby Resg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:20 pm

Hi all,

Just reading these threads after a few weeks of commuting.

I do a 36km round trip to work at Windsor NSW, which will continue until the kiddies are back at school, and maybe longer. I'm riding a 2007 Giant Boulder with slicks, which seems to give a half decent speed on the road while being able to handle the occasional venture offroad. I did ride my fixed gear old roadie in one day, but it's a little less flexible.

I have to say that I'm really enjoying commuting overall - even though the afternoons can get a little tiring. I started after doing the 'Ride to Work Day' which opened up the possibility of doing the ride regularly, after working up to longer rides on the weekends.

The roads are a bit of a worry sometimes, with vanishing shoulders, smatterings of glass and occasional incidents with drivers.

I find that I'm more excited about going to work because of the ride, and generally arrive feeling refreshed. A big contrast to driving, where I would turn up half asleep.

Anyway, I'm enjoying reading the experiences of others and am learning a lot !

Richard
"There is nothing whatsoever that is not made easier with acquaintance" - Santideva

Max

Re: Another new commuter

Postby Max » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:27 am

Welcome to the fold, Richard :D I love riding my bike to work. It's so much less stressful than driving.

:)
Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

DrJay

Postby DrJay » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:07 am

Yup, it's great, keep it up and keep enjoying.
Humans are not so much rational beings, as rationalizing ones.

2010 Giant Yukon with slicks and stuff.
2008 Salsa Casseroll
2010 SE Lager

silkishuge

Postby silkishuge » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:37 pm

Resg wrote:Hi all,

Just reading these threads after a few weeks of commuting.

I do a 36km round trip to work at Windsor NSW, which will continue until the kiddies are back at school, and maybe longer. I'm riding a 2007 Giant Boulder with slicks, which seems to give a half decent speed on the road while being able to handle the occasional venture offroad. I did ride my fixed gear old roadie in one day, but it's a little less flexible.

I have to say that I'm really enjoying commuting overall - even though the afternoons can get a little tiring. I started after doing the 'Ride to Work Day' which opened up the possibility of doing the ride regularly, after working up to longer rides on the weekends.

The roads are a bit of a worry sometimes, with vanishing shoulders, smatterings of glass and occasional incidents with drivers.

I find that I'm more excited about going to work because of the ride, and generally arrive feeling refreshed. A big contrast to driving, where I would turn up half asleep.

Anyway, I'm enjoying reading the experiences of others and am learning a lot !

Richard
G'day Richard, glad you are enjoying it.

Jon