Doncaster East to CBD commute

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Postby dstambou » Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:12 am

Hi all,

Am looking for any tips, experiences, etc. you folks have had on the Doncaster East to CBD route. I'll be looking at making it (return trip) 2-3 times a week for work. I live just near the Pines shopping centre (near corner of Reynolds and Blackburn Road) and work near corner of Little Bourke and Queen street, if that helps any? From google maps, seems to be about ~25km, depending on the route I go.

Have had a search around, and picked up a few hints, but would love your feedback if any! I'm guessing the freeway path is probably my best bet (although Doncaster -> High Street looks to be shorter, the traffic might slow things down, I imagine?).

Cheers!
dstambou

by BNA » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:12 pm

BNA

Postby caffeine » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:12 pm

In exactly the same situation as you, just south at Tunstall Square (so Blacky and Doncaster).
First commute tomorrow (although might be with a coffee stop as will have backup since rack/panniers still to be bought).

The freeway path isn't the best for commuting IMO. It adds a lot of distance. The patch between Doncaster and bulleen exits is great, before and after not so much.

Doncaster/high has some semi decent climbs but is actually quite nice and quick. I'll find out about traffic tomorrow.

Happy to compare notes, I plan to try a few different routes and your not far away.
Having gone along Reynolds today and remembering what that road is like I'm guessing you'll be heading down this way first anyhow lol.

Rankings page for BNA/ACF, 10K and 6K. Any issues with it post here.
caffeine

Re: Doncaster East to CBD commute

Postby dstambou » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:27 pm

How'd you go?! I planned to do the ride on Sunday with a friend, but decided that we didn't want to risk a flood without a spare ark on board. I'm away for two weeks now, so won't get a chance to try it out until then, sadly.

But - Reynolds road is a bitch and a half...! Some mighty hills along there
dstambou

Postby grnis200 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:28 pm

I ride from Mitcham to Port Melbourne and find Doncaster road to Burke road, then Kilby, Chandler, KewBlvd and through Collingwood a great ride with little traffic. There are a few hills but it's a nice ride. Of course on the way home this way has Doncaster Hill.

If you are looking for a long way to work then take Williamsons road across the Yarra, 1st left is Rosehill that becomes Banyule road and takes you to the bottom of Burgundy Street Heidelberg. Then you take Heidelberg road to the Chandler Hwy and either Kew Blvd or Northcote to the city.
Weekends: Giant TCR Advanced SL1 - Full carbon, Dura-ace, Custom 50mm tubulars
Commute: Giant TCR Alliance 1 - Carbon / Alloy Frame, full Ultegra G/set, Dura-ace 24mm CL rims, AYUP lights
grnis200

Postby DJIntegr8 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Given it a go yet?

I commute 1-2 times a week (need to order some more HTFU) from the same area (just behind Fuel Zone) to Cheltenham. I prefer to take the quieter roads/bike lane option so I don't have to deal with traffic and buses on Doncaster Rd. This is what I'd probably do - I normally head down Andersons Creek Rd, then Blackburn Rd - turn on to George St and power it down the hill. Turn left up Victoria St/Middleborough Rd, then jump onto the Freeway track - take it a short distance to Elgar Rd and jump off. Turn onto Belmore and head up the hill, then onto Union Rd (good bike lane). I would usually keep heading south through Camberwell, Ashburton, Bentleigh but to get to the city I'd turn onto Mont Albert Rd. Another good bike lane along here. At Burke Rd I might consider jumping onto Barkers Rd, though never gone through there at morning peak. Not sure which of Victoria St or Bridge Rd are better for getting into the city either.

So there's another option for you as well :)

Brendan
DJIntegr8

Return to Commuting