Door handle on parkiteer cage?

pugsly

Door handle on parkiteer cage?

Postby pugsly » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Hi guys,

I have a question for other cyclists in Melbourne who use the Parkiteer cages. I've posted this question on the BV forums as well, however I was hoping for a more balanced view from here. :)

I've been a semi-regular user of the Parkiteer cage in Glen Waverley since it opened. Something that the cage is lacking (and since I haven't used any other cages, I can't compare) is a door handle on the outside of the door.

It means sticking your fingers through holes only slightly bigger than my fingers to pull the door open. I recall calling the Parkiteer number about it when I first started using the cage, but nothing happened. This morning I managed to get my finger caught and will have that great black fingernail look happening.

I called again this morning to see if there are any plans to put a handle on the door and the answer I was given was there was insufficient interest to do so.

Cable ties and other plastic based forms of handle have been tried and failed (broken/removed).

So my question to you gentle reader: Would the Parkiteer cages be improved by the addition of an external door handle, or should I add a spoonful of concrete to my breakie?
sig goes here...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Door handle on parkiteer cage?

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:09 am

G'Day Pugs, nice to hear from you again.

I tend to agree with Ox here, make it a public safety issue and they should jump pretty quick, especially with your fingernail as proof.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:42 am

Mulger bill wrote:G'Day Pugs, nice to hear from you again.

I tend to agree with Ox here, make it a public safety issue and they should jump pretty quick, especially with your fingernail as proof.

Shaun
Hi Shaun,

Work and chasing after the little fella (who is now one) makes for not a heck of a lot of time spent on the forums. Now he's one though he's happy to be dragged around in the trailer, so I'm on the bike more.

As for my bike cage issue, I'll pursue the public safety side, I was just hoping for some other users to say "yup, good idea" or "HTFU".

Thanks.
sig goes here...

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:04 am

Not a HTFU thing Pugs, it's fair enough to accept a certain risk level but seriously, we're talking an outward swinging steel door, with no way to properly control it?
Asking for trouble...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:30 pm

I've found that using the words "children", "injury" and "liability" generally get people who don't see that there isn't enough interest to get their fingers out. Couch it in terms of the cage being a great resource but state that you are concerned by the lack of control and potential for injury due to their being no adequate handle. Also mention the fact that there have been temporary efforts to put a handle on the door.

You could also try having a chat to the local Council/State Member about it.

In your spare time (knowing you have plenty with a young child - not) get a survey together and spend an hour canvassing users of the cage and use that as added ammunition for your campaign.

pugsly

Postby pugsly » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:37 pm

goneriding wrote:In your spare time (knowing you have plenty with a young child - not) get a survey together and spend an hour canvassing users of the cage and use that as added ammunition for your campaign.
You know, it'd probably be quicker and easier to buy a handle from Bunnings and head down there with a cordless drill one day. :)
sig goes here...

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:29 pm

pugsly wrote:You know, it'd probably be quicker and easier to buy a handle from Bunnings and head down there with a cordless drill one day.
Probably, but then the managers of the cage will probably send someone down to take it off because it might be dangerous.