Commuting for beginners

jasonc

Re: Commuting for beginners

Postby jasonc » Sun May 29, 2011 7:30 am

elStado wrote: It happens. It's one thing I am actually quite worried about, as one of my bikes doesn't have a rear red reflector (has 2x LED red lights instead) and another doesn't have the yellow wheel reflectors (it has yellow tire reflector stickers on the side walls). You can imagine that a crafty lawyer could work that loophole and make it that you are liable for an accident because you were missing a reflector and some fool rear-ended you.. even if you have a couple of bright LED lights instead.. :shock:
from my previous reading of the ADRs (can't find the link now), but having lights is a requirement for night. For the rear it said a light or reflector.

I have no reflectors.
Remember - a warning device IS required. No warning device = easy fine!

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Commuting for beginners

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 29, 2011 3:56 pm

But in WA, bikes with mudguards are required to have the rear of said guard painted silver or white IIRC.
M'Lud, I respectfully submit that my client would not have rolled the stop sign in front of the deceased had his bicycle been fitted with an approved whitetail mudguard.
Don't laugh, some judge reduced liability for a smokebox clown rear ending a rider because the riders headlight did not throw a 200m beam.

Plastic reflectors are 1970s dross, the available tech is so far in front of the law that Bertie couldn't catch it after a dozen steaks.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011