Drafting while commuting

Myddraal

Re: Drafting while commuting

Postby Myddraal » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm usually on my way home from training for the last 2-3 hours as most people are commuting to work so I'm generally pretty happy to find someone to just tag on to for a few kms rather than battling a headwind and struggling along at < 30km/h.

jarrah-95

Postby jarrah-95 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:37 pm

Whats your thoughts on drafting a truck (about 10 meters behind) while their going at your speed, there is a massive gain from that!

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:59 pm

jarrah-95 wrote:Whats your thoughts on drafting a truck (about 10 meters behind) while their going at your speed, there is a massive gain from that!
In the words of a famous man... what could possibly go wrong?

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:18 pm

If ever I manage to hang onto the back of a peleton I fear that I will not be capable of then advancing to the front and doing my bit. I pray that you will forgive in the unlikely event. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Kenzo

Drafting while commuting

Postby Kenzo » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:21 pm

Comedian wrote:
jarrah-95 wrote:Whats your thoughts on drafting a truck (about 10 meters behind) while their going at your speed, there is a massive gain from that!
In the words of a famous man... what could possibly go wrong?
I drafted a truck along Kingsford Smith drive from Nudgee Rd to the ICB (Bris). he was doing over 60 and reaching 70 for quite a bit. I was definitely less than three metres behind him for nearly all of it.
I will never do it again...
It was way too much fun.
It was so bloody dangerous.
But it was FUN!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:03 pm

I doubt being 10 metres behind would help you much, if at all. Now a metre or two :wink:

Did it at the lights yesterday. Hung on to the back of a petrol tanker for as long as I could. Mind you I do just sit in from the left edge with enough room to dive left if I need to. Also the brakes are well and truly covered and it was dry.

Andrew

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Drafting behind a speeding car, truck etc sounds friggin dodgy if you ask me, would rather use my legs and lungs to give me the speed, not that I could do 70k. I can see the buzz in it but just not my cup of tea have seen an accident or two in similar situations. Must be getting old and cautious :shock: :D
Happy Days

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:46 pm

Trucksitting is a highly dangerous activity with a very high penalty for failure. :(

It is a blast tho' Not that I've done it... :wink:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

HillBilly

Postby HillBilly » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:44 pm

Livetoride wrote:Drafting behind a speeding car, truck etc sounds friggin dodgy if you ask me, would rather use my legs and lungs to give me the speed, not that I could do 70k. I can see the buzz in it but just not my cup of tea have seen an accident or two in similar situations. Must be getting old and cautious :shock: :D
Your screen name sounds appropriate then. It's better to "livetoride" than "ridetodie"!

Cheers

HillBilly

rustychisel

Postby rustychisel » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:16 pm

often, very often. Good legwork to tuck behind a bus at 50kmh. (errr and listen to the engine note carefully, observe the brake lights, and above all, know where the bus stops are)

skull

Postby skull » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:30 pm

Comedian wrote: I'm generally a bit reluctant to draft people myself as you don't know them and don't know what they are going to do. If they stop it's the guy behind that will go down so I don't need that.

This is why I also don't let ppl I don't know draft me (unless it is a sanctioned race or training ride)

I have told a few riders to either pass me or back off whilst riding, mostly only when commuting or training on my fixed gear bike. I don't know their ability and riding a fixed gear for training takes a bit more skill and effort so I I don't want them near me.

Stoo

Postby Stoo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Ive never been a fan of drafting in general. im of the opinion is that if your going to cycle do it right by pushing yourself not using the guy / girl in front to do all the work for you. i try to loose them by riding harder up hills.

it also bugs me when someone decides to draft.....takes it easy for a while....passes you after their rest..... then can't maintain the speed so you get stuck behind them until you pass them....then it starts all over again.
2004 Argon 18 Radon
2012 Argon 18 krypton
2010 Argon 18 Gallium Pro
2013 Argon 18 E-116

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:27 pm

Isn't that called "taking turns at the front"? :P

Kemp

Postby Kemp » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:55 am

Sometimes I find I fall into it by coincidence. I was riding beach rd the other day when two guys passed me (very slowly) and sat right in front of me. I was quite happy to plod along at 30km/h as there was a 30km head wind. I was only on their wheels for about 5 minutes, though. They turned off and I was left alone in the wind!

Another time (beach rd again) I came up behind a female cyclist who was kitted out in her club knicks and jersey. We were both enjoying a tailwind and averaging about 40km/h. I wasn't so much drafting as I was using her to pace myself. I probably sat 4-5m behind her so not close enough to coast along. I stayed with her for a good 20 mins until she turned off. By that stage we had caught and passed quite a few other cyclists.

I've never had anyone try to stick to my wheel. I think at the moment I ride in between pace groups. Not as slow as the plodders who you wizz by but not as quick as the really hardcore folks.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:12 pm

The problem I find with drafting or not drafting is when you come up behind a bike going slightly faster than you would normally go. Because of the draft you can maintain the same speed, but to pass would mean slowing them down. I tend to err on the side of not passing another bike unless I know I will not hold them up. I'm not real fast, I generally ride at between 26 and 30 KM/h, generally close to 28 when on a flat with little wind, so I am a bit reluctant to pass a quicker looking bike.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Stoo

Postby Stoo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:08 pm

trailgumby wrote:Isn't that called "taking turns at the front"? :P
not if they're slowing you down. :wink:
2004 Argon 18 Radon
2012 Argon 18 krypton
2010 Argon 18 Gallium Pro
2013 Argon 18 E-116

goneriding

Postby goneriding » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:33 pm

DavidS wrote:so I am a bit reluctant to pass a quicker looking bike
Where is your sense of adventure? Just about every bike I pass is better than my commuter (BSO's notwithstanding). There are those who have also made that the basis for their judgement and paid for it :twisted:

That said, there are a couple of guys I know who, if I judged their ability by their bike, would leave me crying/puking in their wake!

Judge the engine not the bike!

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:39 pm

goneriding wrote:
DavidS wrote:so I am a bit reluctant to pass a quicker looking bike
Where is your sense of adventure? Just about every bike I pass is better than my commuter (BSO's notwithstanding). There are those who have also made that the basis for their judgement and paid for it :twisted:

That said, there are a couple of guys I know who, if I judged their ability by their bike, would leave me crying/puking in their wake!

Judge the engine not the bike!
+1 well said, just this morning I saw a rider a fair bit ahead of me on Beach road, needless to say I gave chase. As I got a bit closer I was trying to make out what kind of bike it was, couldn't really tell but they were movin.. Got a bit closer, closer was a rider (An attractive Lady) on a MTB and she was movin, over took with a nod and I noticed she stuck to my tail too.

Proof of the pudding :D
Happy Days

maDKient

Postby maDKient » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:04 pm

How close would you have to be to gain any benefit from drafting?

Right on the wheel? That sounds awfully dangerous.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:11 pm

maDKient wrote:How close would you have to be to gain any benefit from drafting?

The pro's are just about touching sometimes, but within a wheel does the trick, the closer the better, following their every move also. You shouldn't (in my opinion) draft unless either your very quick and handy with your reflexes and/or know the rider in front (as in know his/her) riding style etc.
Happy Days

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:41 pm

maDKient wrote:How close would you have to be to gain any benefit from drafting?

I'd suggest at (road) cruising speeds of >30km/h if you were to sit with 2 metres between your wheel and the wheel in front of you there is enough benefit ... especially if it is a headwind. Cross winds are a whole other ball game.
Dangerous? Yes, but as soon as you see or hear the rider in front giving warnings (e.g. glass / hole / move right or left)... then you are likely in good enough hands. Perhaps if you feel they are not doing as good a job as you lke, then take the front let them know they can tag on and show then what you expect.

If you don't want to draft or have a draftee, then wave them on and don't sit them.
Livetoride wrote:she was movin, over took with a nod and I noticed she stuck to my tail too.
I was just wondering if you look like your avatar...

maDKient

Postby maDKient » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:44 pm

I think I'll skip the drafting, there's too much dependant on trust with a stranger. No thanks.

Livetoride

Postby Livetoride » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Kenzo wrote:

I'd suggest at (road) cruising speeds of >30km/h if you were to sit with 2 metres between your wheel and the wheel in front of you there is enough benefit ... especially if it is a headwind. Cross winds are a whole other ball game.
Dangerous? Yes, but as soon as you see or hear the rider in front giving warnings (e.g. glass / hole / move right or left)... then you are likely in good enough hands. Perhaps if you feel they are not doing as good a job as you lke, then take the front let them know they can tag on and show then what you expect.

If you don't want to draft or have a draftee, then wave them on and don't sit them.
Livetoride wrote:she was movin, over took with a nod and I noticed she stuck to my tail too.
I was just wondering if you look like your avatar...
I'm not as handsome as Homer :(
Happy Days

m@

Postby m@ » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:28 pm

Kenzo wrote:If you don't want to have a draftee, then drop them on the next hill.
Fixed :twisted:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:07 pm

:lol: That is what I typed initially...