smoking while commuting

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

smoking while commuting

Postby mekore » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:00 am

any law against this? in some morning when i waked up a bit late, i really wanted to smoke on the road.
mekore

by BNA » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:12 am

BNA

Re: smoking while commuting

Postby Max » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:12 am

You know, I was not at all surprised to see your name attached to this thread. That "drafting while commuting" thread put your name on the radar :P

I don't know if there's a law against it, but I really wish there was. I've encountered a few smokers on my rides to/from work. It's absolutely disgusting. Their smoke hangs around forever, and I'm forced to breathe it because they're so addicted they just can't wait until they've stopped somewhere. I want to be clear: I hate smoking. I hate the smell. I hate the smoke. I hate the resultant litter of roadside cigarette butts. I hate how the smoke and smell hang around forever and ever. I hate that smokers seem to think that their smoke just vanishes, wafts away and affects no-one. It doesn't. It lingers and, because of that, smokers impose their own filthy habits onto people who would rather breathe clean air.

Do you understand that I don't like smoking? If you want to fill your lungs with carcinogens, fine. Knock yourself out. But don't force it on me by puffing away whilst riding along, leaving a long, lingering trail of filth in your wake.

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Oxford » Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:43 am

Max, I'm not sure I understand your POV, can you elaborate a bit. :mrgreen: Image

To answer the OP, on some paths in Brisbane it is illegal to smoke and like Max I find it disturbing that people are on a shared pathway in the open and somehow feel the need to smoke and inflict the carcinogenic crap on others, I hate it.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:28 am

Nice work Mekore. Need some posts to shake things up around here, bit too stodgy sometimes.

I look forward to you posting in Summer, where I imagine you will complain about being too hot and wonder aloud whether it is okay to cycle naked :wink:
ft_critical

Postby Max » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:19 am

LOLZ, Oxford :mrgreen:

ft_critical wrote:Nice work Mekore. Need some posts to shake things up around here, bit too stodgy sometimes.

I look forward to you posting in Summer, where I imagine you will complain about being too hot and wonder aloud whether it is okay to cycle naked :wink:

And LOLZ to you too, ft :mrgreen:

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby igstar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:47 am

The only reason I don't like seeing cyclists with cigarets is because i know that butts will end up on the road - i feel the same way about cyclists throwing the gel and bar wrappers all over the place. However I don't buy the carcinogenic second hand smoke in this case, especially when everyone seems happy to ride in traffic behind all the exhaust pipes.
igstar

Postby m@ » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:25 am

Max wrote:Do you understand that I don't like smoking? If you want to fill your lungs with carcinogens, fine. Knock yourself out. But don't force it on me by puffing away whilst riding along, leaving a long, lingering trail of filth in your wake.

On the upside, at least it's easy to overtake the smoker and get into the clean air in front :mrgreen:
harmonix1234 wrote:Forecast for Hobart next week is rain, sleet, ice and all kinds of hell.
HTFU harmonix.
m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:30 am

mekore wrote:any law against this? in some morning when i waked up a bit late, i really wanted to smoke on the road.

proper control of the vehicle
public nuisance :)
jules21

Postby Max » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:38 am

igstar wrote:The only reason I don't like seeing cyclists with cigarets is because i know that butts will end up on the road - i feel the same way about cyclists throwing the gel and bar wrappers all over the place. However I don't buy the carcinogenic second hand smoke in this case, especially when everyone seems happy to ride in traffic behind all the exhaust pipes.

I suppose I'm a little spoiled, in that I'm very rarely near exhaust-spewing vehicles on my commute. RE the second-hand smoke, you'd be surprised how long cigarette smoke can hang around. I can be several hundred metres behind a smoking cyclist and still be able to smell their smoke. Yech. :(

Max
Max

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:41 am

car exhaust emissions are remarkably clean these days. it's apparently very difficult to gas yourself with a modern car (there's a useful piece of trivia).
jules21

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:46 am

jules21 wrote:car exhaust emissions are remarkably clean these days. it's apparently very difficult to gas yourself with a modern car (there's a useful piece of trivia).

Now there's a challenge for mekore :wink: :lol:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:48 am

jules21 wrote:it's apparently very difficult to gas yourself with a modern car (there's a useful piece of trivia).

Sure about that?
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:09 pm

sogood wrote:
jules21 wrote:it's apparently very difficult to gas yourself with a modern car (there's a useful piece of trivia).

Sure about that?

no. there's a few people i'd like to try it out on but none have agreed thus far :D
jules21

Postby cp123 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:58 pm

I pass one area that's a popular bus stop for a lot of routes so there are always people clogging around there or dribbling over the "shared recreational" path that happens to be there. this morning i was zooming through in the crisp cold air and i think 3 folk standing on each side must've exhaled right as i was there gasping air in with a big open mouth and I copped it all from each of them. gag....

gross!
cp123

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:04 pm

Max wrote:I don't know if there's a law against it, but I really wish there was. I've encountered a few smokers on my rides to/from work. It's absolutely disgusting. Their smoke hangs around forever, and I'm forced to breathe it because they're so addicted they just can't wait until they've stopped somewhere. I want to be clear: I hate smoking. I hate the smell. I hate the smoke. I hate the resultant litter of roadside cigarette butts. I hate how the smoke and smell hang around forever and ever. I hate that smokers seem to think that their smoke just vanishes, wafts away and affects no-one. It doesn't. It lingers and, because of that, smokers impose their own filthy habits onto people who would rather breathe clean air.

Do you understand that I don't like smoking? If you want to fill your lungs with carcinogens, fine. Knock yourself out. But don't force it on me by puffing away whilst riding along, leaving a long, lingering trail of filth in your wake.
:lol: Tell us what you really think Max...
Nobody

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:09 pm

cp123 wrote:I pass one area that's a popular bus stop for a lot of routes so there are always people clogging around there or dribbling over the "shared recreational" path that happens to be there. this morning i was zooming through in the crisp cold air and i think 3 folk standing on each side must've exhaled right as i was there gasping air in with a big open mouth and I copped it all from each of them. gag....

make sure you feign a major coughing fit :)
jules21

Postby cp123 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:23 pm

damn near did...

as a asthmatic rider trying to cope in minus degree temperatures i cough and splutter at the top of every hill i get up. Trouble is, this was on a downhill bit where I can usually breathe. :lol:
cp123

Postby Chanboy » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:02 pm

I have to say, when your got your heart rate up, you're breathing hard, cigarette smoke is particularly annoying and disgusting.

jules21 wrote:car exhaust emissions are remarkably clean these days. it's apparently very difficult to gas yourself with a modern car (there's a useful piece of trivia).

A modern well tuned car produces very little carbon monoxide, which typically is what kills you when you try to suicide by car exhaust. A lot of carbon dioxide is still produced though... which while wont poison you, will eventually suffocate you. You can certainly still die from car exhaust if you really put your mind to it... It takes a lot longer with C02... in which time usually someone will notice a hose connected to the exhaust etc etc...

I certainly prefer to ride behind a few modern cars, breathing in their exhaust than a pack of cycling smokers!
Chanboy

Postby uncle arthur » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:19 pm

Only, and I repeat ONLY, if you can look as cool as this while doing it:

I strongly suspect you cannot. 8)
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!
uncle arthur

Postby ZepinAtor » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:32 pm

I'm always smokin when I ride my bike.

My partner says it's coming from my bum though.
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.
ZepinAtor

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:41 pm

Of course, when you join the local club bunch ride, there is some peer pressure to smoke that might be applied:

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:43 pm

ZepinAtor wrote:I'm always smokin when I ride my bike.

My partner says it's coming from my bum though.

I think this might be a Castelli accessory, but I am not sure :idea:

[Mod=mikebytes] Inappropriate image removed [/Mod]
ft_critical

Postby sogood » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Don't get up in arms over smokers. Smokers are good for the society and country as smoking induces incurable early deaths (of many forms). The end results are,
1) Less long term drain on health resources and costs.
2) Less time hanging around in retirement and drain on the pension.
3) Early transfer of wealth to beneficiaries.
4) Each packet of cig includes a nice tax overhead which is of benefit to us all.

So give smokers room when they want to express their democratic right to do all of above and more. :mrgreen:
Last edited by sogood on Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.
sogood

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:08 pm

daddy, what's that?
jules21

Postby lethoso » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:36 pm

It's only acceptable if you're smoking a pipe.
lethoso

Next

Return to Commuting