precious commuters

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: precious commuters

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:44 pm

CommuRider wrote:C'mon, half of the men I see don't bother nodding.
There you go. At least half the men aren't trying to "pick you up" or stalk you. Be happy. :mrgreen:
Nobody
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

by BNA » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm

BNA
 

Re: precious commuters

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 pm

This thread got OT quickly because of @gpftvcycler's preciousness. That's all I can say. Anyway, why does he want women cyclists to greet him when he has a wifey waiting for him? Not sure if wifey will want to know he's been greeting and nodding to all these female cyclists (but will be relieved to know it's not being reciprocated!)
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: precious commuters

Postby Nobody » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:52 pm

CommuRider wrote:That's all I can say. Anyway, why does he want women cyclists to greet him when he has a wifey waiting for him? Not sure if wifey will want to know he's been greeting and nodding to all these female cyclists (but will be relieved to know it's not being reciprocated!)
So even you think that the casual wave of cyclists to the opposite sex may not be innocent. You're not helping your pro-wave cause.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: precious commuters

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:57 pm

Hahahahahah

It's all to do with personality. If you choose to ride, you won't be grumpy as someone who has to cycle because s/he lost his/her driver's licence. I'm a pretty happy person when I'm on the bike (oh those endorphines) so I have no compunction greeting my fellow brethren :-P

On the other hand it's 0.5 second to nod so don't know what the big deal is.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: precious commuters

Postby goneriding » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:59 pm

Based on this:
CommuRider wrote:I always give my greeting nod to my fellow cyclists


and this

CommuRider wrote:The little old ladies on their nice cruiser bikes do nod back.


Self description, perhaps? :twisted:
Image
User avatar
goneriding
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Strathfield

Re: precious commuters

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Yup, I'm 80, I have arthritis and my hubbie who is 85 is right behind me. So watch it young fella. If you say hello to me, he'll chase you down on his cracking old Malvern Star.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: precious commuters

Postby gtfpv cycler » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:53 pm

i dont care who waves back , but when people wave at me in a cyclist greeting sense . it makes me feel good . i only took up cycling this year , and was amazed at the recognition and greet that cyclists give each other . so i adopted the greeting , then i noticed women dont do that . however i dont want to be discriminate , and not wave at women because they are female , so i wave at all . this doesnt mean i'm out there waving 500m away from you , nor will i wave on the return passing , often i am not the 1syt to wave , often i am , not one women has waved or nodded back , some have given a shy smile , most have looked in horror , kind've like how dare you look at me i'm a princess and your not worthy . a little bit like school days .
we have found a reason for this arttitude that makes sense . if it isnt that , then it is rudeness .
this maybe just a sydney female thing , or a youth of today thing i dont know , as you dont see many women 30 plus on a bike .
gtfpv cycler
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: precious commuters

Postby jet-ski » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:43 pm

Hm, just cos you ride a bike doesn't mean you have to greet every other cyclist! Do you see people in cars waving at each other? Pedestrians?

I maintain that greetings are for long, empty country roads. If someone waves I suppose I'd wave back, but I aint seen anyone wave except for the 80 year old lady on the electic gopher I see often.
Xtracycle, Surly Long Haul Trucker, Bike Friday New World Tourist, Giant TCR, 9:zero:7
http://www.perthcyclist.net/blog
User avatar
jet-ski
 
Posts: 1404
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:51 pm
Location: Perth WA

Re: precious commuters

Postby gtfpv cycler » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:49 pm

jet-ski wrote:Hm, just cos you ride a bike doesn't mean you have to greet every other cyclist! Do you see people in cars waving at each other? Pedestrians?

I maintain that greetings are for long, empty country roads. If someone waves I suppose I'd wave back, but I aint seen anyone wave except for the 80 year old lady on the electic gopher I see often.


i see what your saying . i guess it all depends on perspective , if i go for a 2 hour ride , i may see 3 other cyclists on the trip . or not one . if i was in the city i would probably get picked up and arrested for obstructing traffic , or riding dangerously LOL . MY posts in this thread have run there course . RANT OVER .
gtfpv cycler
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: precious commuters

Postby jules21 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:49 pm

jet-ski wrote:I maintain that greetings are for long, empty country roads.

+ 1

it would get very tedious waving to every cyclist on the Main Yarra Trail and difficult to operate the bike.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8649
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: precious commuters

Postby goneriding » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:01 pm

jet-ski wrote:.... except for the 80 year old lady on the electic gopher I see often.


Must've been CR :twisted:
Image
User avatar
goneriding
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:14 pm
Location: Strathfield

Re: precious commuters

Postby CommuRider » Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Now, now sonny....back in my day, when men were men and the sheep were scared...sorry you're Kiwi aren't you? :-P
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: precious commuters

Postby lethoso » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:02 pm

jules21 wrote:particularly on shared paths.


Ride on the road like a real man and you wouldn't have these problems :wink:
Image
lethoso
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:56 pm
Location: brisbane, 4101

Re: precious commuters

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:04 pm

gtfpv cycler wrote:...not one women has waved or nodded back ... most have looked in horror ... a little bit like school days


Could it be that this was just your unique high school experience gtfpv? :idea:

I hear they have made tremendous advances in counselling recently
User avatar
ft_critical
 
Posts: 1529
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:06 pm
Location: Slowing and Fattening :-)

Re: precious commuters

Postby Xplora » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 pm

This is an epic LOL thread, for sure. The fact that jules can't stand people telling him what to do and yet is such an ardent supporter of mandatory helmet laws just makes me shake my head. It's all the same kettle of fish - you either accept people telling you how to live, or you embrace freedom. You CAN'T have it both ways.
Xplora
 
Posts: 5916
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: precious commuters

Postby lovemybike » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:15 pm

Nobody wrote:
il padrone wrote:I have little doubt that it's the old fear of ulterior motives. A bloke waving to another bloke is OK - equals. But a bloke waving to a woman (stranger) is just a bloke trying some sort of 'come-on' approach. Sad, but it is the ways of our world.
I can't see how since I'm going 30+ in one direction and she is going in the other. Unlikely to see them ever again too.

:lol: Funny!

I had a bit of a sook sometime ago about people waving/not waving. :roll: I wave/smile/nod etc at everyone and if they're friendly/physically able etc they'll wave back. Most people wave if they can/if they see me and I'm the same. Does it really matter?!
Image
lovemybike
 
Posts: 924
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:19 pm
Location: Mt Annan, NSW

Re: precious commuters

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:06 am

lovemybike wrote:
Nobody wrote:
il padrone wrote:I have little doubt that it's the old fear of ulterior motives. A bloke waving to another bloke is OK - equals. But a bloke waving to a woman (stranger) is just a bloke trying some sort of 'come-on' approach. Sad, but it is the ways of our world.
I can't see how since I'm going 30+ in one direction and she is going in the other. Unlikely to see them ever again too.

:lol: Funny!

I had a bit of a sook sometime ago about people waving/not waving. :roll: I wave/smile/nod etc at everyone and if they're friendly/physically able etc they'll wave back. Most people wave if they can/if they see me and I'm the same. Does it really matter?!
Do whatever you choose. I'm unlikely to notice these days as I'm not waving or looking for any recognition of my presence. I generally look past cyclists coming the other way and concentrate on what I'm doing. I used to be a pro-wave person, but I'm more content not waving.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: precious commuters

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:37 pm

These days I find I'm kinda self-absorbed while climbing, focussing on my breathing, core stability and pedalling technique as I try to improve this lower back issue, and a couple of times on the Epping Rd cycleway have been rudely awakened by someone unexpectedly waving or nodding at me :lol:

"What?! Oh, erm, hi! -> :shock: :oops: :D "

As to the previous poser riding no-handed and yakking on a mobile phone, they'd cop a big mouthful from me. We complain about motorists behaving exactly like that, and then go and do ... exactly the same. :roll:

If it was that important you had to take the call, get off the damn bike. I saw some fool do exactly that (on phone, no hands) on the Sydney Harbour Bridge 6 months ago. Nice wide straight bike notwithstanding, there have been some nasty prangs and daily near misses there over the last 6 months.

So who's being precious? Seems to me the one who doesn't like being told. Well, boo hoo. :lol:

One of the reasons I got my ayups was because of stupid cyclists who think the laws don't apply to them.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10272
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: precious commuters

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:39 pm

Edit: Actually that was meant to be "previous poster" but I think the typo is an improvement so I'm going to leave it :wink:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
User avatar
trailgumby
 
Posts: 10272
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:30 pm
Location: Northern Beaches, Sydney

Re: precious commuters

Postby gtfpv cycler » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:16 pm

i guess not giving a wave is becoming acceptable , so is stepping over dead people on the footpath , not rendering assistance in an accident, and leaving the scene of a crime , driving unregistered unlicensed etc . yet it doesnt change the fact that women wont wave like men do ! i wonder if that has anything to do with single women far outnumbering single men , when they are over 35 , and thier looks arent there number one attractiveness in life .
puts flame suit on NOW .
gtfpv cycler
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:00 pm

Re: precious commuters

Postby Nobody » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:23 pm

gtfpv cycler wrote:i guess not giving a wave is becoming acceptable , so is stepping over dead people on the footpath , not rendering assistance in an accident, and leaving the scene of a crime , driving unregistered unlicensed etc .
You can't group not waving with crime. One is far from the other.

gtfpv cycler wrote:...yet it doesnt change the fact that women wont wave like men do !
I think this has been covered well already. :wink:

gtfpv cycler wrote:i wonder if that has anything to do with single women far outnumbering single men , when they are over 35
I think you'll find it is the number of women versus the number of available men in that age group. Men who are looking. I get the impression from speaking to some middle age men that once they have been married at least once before, they aren't as keen to go through it all again. They may be already hocked up to the eyeballs with child maintenance etc. But that is just the impression I get. Anyway this is getting seriously off topic, so this is my last comment on it.

Edit: Grammar.
Last edited by Nobody on Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody
 
Posts: 6637
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: precious commuters

Postby TimW » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:37 pm

lovemybike wrote:
Nobody wrote:
il padrone wrote:I have little doubt that it's the old fear of ulterior motives. A bloke waving to another bloke is OK - equals. But a bloke waving to a woman (stranger) is just a bloke trying some sort of 'come-on' approach. Sad, but it is the ways of our world.
I can't see how since I'm going 30+ in one direction and she is going in the other. Unlikely to see them ever again too.

:lol: Funny!

I had a bit of a sook sometime ago about people waving/not waving. :roll: I wave/smile/nod etc at everyone and if they're friendly/physically able etc they'll wave back. Most people wave if they can/if they see me and I'm the same. Does it really matter?!



I remember that post Julie!!! My how things have changed for the better!!!

I acknowledge all That come toward me,be it a nod or a hand wave, and if I pass someone I say "Hi", if they choose not to wave or reply to me, thats their perogative, I used to get the tom tits when people did not reciprocate, now i have no problem whatsoever with it.Tim
Image
User avatar
TimW
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:37 pm
Location: Near the M7C

Re: precious commuters

Postby CommuRider » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:49 pm

Nobody wrote:
gtfpv cycler wrote:i guess not giving a wave is becoming acceptable , so is stepping over dead people on the footpath , not rendering assistance in an accident, and leaving the scene of a crime , driving unregistered unlicensed etc .
You can't group not waving with crime. One is far from the other.


ROFL

gtfpv cycler wrote:...yet it doesnt change the fact that women wont wave like men do !


:roll:

Someone here seriously needs to build a bridge.

gtfpv cycler wrote:, and thier looks arent there number one attractiveness in life .


Wayne Rooney's hair transplant is all I can say. And the pot/beer belly. And the...oh, nevermind. Shallow attracts shallow. So if you surround yourself with people who judge you by your (lack of) looks, then that's your problem.
Amateur oenologist and green-friendly commuter.
User avatar
CommuRider
 
Posts: 5053
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: precious commuters

Postby lethoso » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:05 pm

gtfpv cycler wrote:i guess not giving a wave is becoming acceptable , so is stepping over dead people on the footpath , not rendering assistance in an accident, and leaving the scene of a crime , driving unregistered unlicensed etc .


are you really equating not waving to the rest of those things? :lol:
Image
lethoso
 
Posts: 1565
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:56 pm
Location: brisbane, 4101

Re: precious commuters

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:55 pm

lethoso wrote:
gtfpv cycler wrote:i guess not giving a wave is becoming acceptable , so is stepping over dead people on the footpath , not rendering assistance in an accident, and leaving the scene of a crime , driving unregistered unlicensed etc .


are you really equating not waving to the rest of those things? :lol:


Well, if you want to use it as an analogy for the loss of "community spirit"*, why not? I doubt gtfpv is actually suggesting that people who do not wave while riding would partake in the other quoted anti social acts. IMO, inferring such displays a preciousness totally unrelated to the central premise of the thread.

*Definitely not the best choice of words, I'm open to suggestions here.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 25702
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit