Why do you commute by bike?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Why do you commute by bike?

Postby Livetoride » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:50 am

Comedian wrote:
dino_onabike1969 wrote:a year ago my car packed up...i decided to purchase a bike and commute to work...the look of disbelief people's faces was comical![it is a 54km round trip commute and i work as a chef so the work hours are long and tiring!]i can honestly say i went through the whole denial process of "you won't catch me in lycra" etc...blah blah blah...this lasted about two weeks!!lol!
i have commuted in all weather conditions this year and there have been some tough days!however the feeling of riding and experiencing the freedom of the road etc..is incomparable!i have ridden around 13000km to date and if the gods are smiling on me i will continue on!!!love my bike!see you out there!!Black Giant TCR 2 Composite....dino... :D

Great story Dino :)

+ 1 :mrgreen: thats a good feel good story and yes I love the Giant TCR's too :D
Happy Days
Livetoride

by BNA » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:21 am

BNA

Postby goneriding » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:21 am

westab wrote:This morning I was wondering why I commute - the answer today is because I must.

My validation this morning came from the long line of cars at every intersection that I cruised past. Herring Rd between Bridge Rd and Epping Rd was a complete car park to the point where some geniuses had blocked a couple of the roundabouts.

Last night one of the caged ones had even managed to completely miss the roundabout and was parked in the guard rail blocking traffic.

No further questioning required!
goneriding

Postby westab » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:35 am

goneriding wrote:
westab wrote:This morning I was wondering why I commute - the answer today is because I must.

My validation this morning came from the long line of cars at every intersection that I cruised past. Herring Rd between Bridge Rd and Epping Rd was a complete car park to the point where some geniuses had blocked a couple of the roundabouts.

Last night one of the caged ones had even managed to completely miss the roundabout and was parked in the guard rail blocking traffic.

No further questioning required!

+1 same answer different road - Sunnyholt road Blacktown
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:14 pm

When people talk to me about bike commuting I really don't think they get it. At some point in the conversation when the focus switches to how it's quicker than catching the bus (50m on the bus tonight compared to 35m on the bike - max) they usually ask what time I leave. When I say "whenever I like - traffic doesn't matter to me" the lightbulb usually goes on.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Why do you commute by bike?

Postby Max » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:50 pm

Comedian wrote:When people talk to me about bike commuting I really don't think they get it. At some point in the conversation when the focus switches to how it's quicker than catching the bus (50m on the bus tonight compared to 35m on the bike - max) they usually ask what time I leave. When I say "whenever I like - traffic doesn't matter to me" the lightbulb usually goes on.

It's still a relevant question though, because it's not like you get to work instantly. It still takes X number of minutes to get there, plus time taken to get changed, organized etc. If you have a set start time for work, you need to understand the time taken to commute. If I asked someone that question, I would find the "it doesn't matter when you leave" response very frustrating. Why not just say something like "I leave at X o'clock, and that gets me sitting at my desk by Y o'clock"?

Sorry, I didn't intend that as a rant. I envy you CBD workers!

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy
Max

Postby Comedian » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Max wrote:
Comedian wrote:When people talk to me about bike commuting I really don't think they get it. At some point in the conversation when the focus switches to how it's quicker than catching the bus (50m on the bus tonight compared to 35m on the bike - max) they usually ask what time I leave. When I say "whenever I like - traffic doesn't matter to me" the lightbulb usually goes on.

It's still a relevant question though, because it's not like you get to work instantly. It still takes X number of minutes to get there, plus time taken to get changed, organized etc. If you have a set start time for work, you need to understand the time taken to commute. If I asked someone that question, I would find the "it doesn't matter when you leave" response very frustrating. Why not just say something like "I leave at X o'clock, and that gets me sitting at my desk by Y o'clock"?

Sorry, I didn't intend that as a rant. I envy you CBD workers!

Max

Sorry... probably lost in the translation. The question is like if it takes you 35 minutes to get in do you have to leave at 6 am so you don't have any traffic. I then have to explain to them that it's 35 minutes anytime as traffic is not a factor for me. :)

Comedian

Postby dino_onabike1969 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:16 pm

:D :D too true "Comedian" :wink:
Giant TCR 2 Composite 2011
dino_onabike1969

Postby blossy84 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:20 pm

dino_onabike1969 wrote:

It technically takes me longer to travel by bike to work than it does by car...BUT!!! Normally I'd ride on my exercise bike for about 30mins to an hr or go for a 30 min run before leaving for work and then drive in. Now even though it takes me a but longer to ride in than driving, I am still saving time because my journey in is also my morning exercise. 8)
i love my bike(s)

blossy84

Postby tmurray » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Best thing about commuting to work is taking an extended lunch break and going for a quick spin around the river on a lovely sunny afternoon. Can't beat that :)
tmurray

Postby Comedian » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:34 pm

erin wrote:
dino_onabike1969 wrote:

It technically takes me longer to travel by bike to work than it does by car...BUT!!! Normally I'd ride on my exercise bike for about 30mins to an hr or go for a 30 min run before leaving for work and then drive in. Now even though it takes me a but longer to ride in than driving, I am still saving time because my journey in is also my morning exercise. 8)

And afternoon exercise too!

Comedian

Postby Mububban » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:16 pm

My commute is 13km each way, and it's a 13-20 minute drive, or a 35 minute ride. I've got 2 young kids so finding time on my own to do fast paced exercise is difficult, so riding to work 1-3 times a week only costs me 15 minutes of time with the kids in an afternoon, and none in the morning as they are still asleep when I depart.

Plus my work has a shower/change room when I can lock my bike up too, I'm on a PSP for half the ride and going across traffic not straight into the CBD, so traffic danger is much lower than when I worked in Nedlands.
Mububban

Previous

Return to Commuting