NSW: Afternoon/Evening - Dee Why to Middle Cove

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

NSW: Afternoon/Evening - Dee Why to Middle Cove

Postby JustJames » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:13 pm

Hi All

From next week I will try out commuting between Middle Cove and Dee Why/North Curl Curl. I've got a bunch to ride with in the morning (from Middle Cove).

As a recent-ish arrival in Sydney - and Aussie for that matter - I'd appreciate any tips on the route. I figure riding from Dee Why via French's Forest would be nigh suicidal. How would riding via Spit Bridge and Military Rd, and back in to Middle Cove via Strathallen Rd and Eastern Valley Way be?

If anybody does this route, I'd be keen to ride with them. I'll be on a road bike, but really, I'm more interested in getting miles under my belt than speed at this stage.

Thanks in advance.

James
JustJames

by BNA » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:24 am

BNA

Re: NSW: Afternoon/Evening - Dee Why to Middle Cove

Postby simonn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:24 am

Riding via The Spit is friendlier. I can't help you from Middle Cove, but from around Naremburn, this is the lowest traffic route:

http://www.bikemap.net/route/1095685
simonn

Postby trailgumby » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:21 am

Going via The Spit is definitely doing it the long way around. If that suits your training goals, then all is good, but Warringah Road and Roseville Bridge aren't bad if you know the ways of avoiding the worst intersections. I go via Frenchs Forest to Sydney Olympic Park, and so routinely cover what most would consider "the worst" sections. It's not that bad.

Did you know there is a shared use path that gets you out of the traffic across Roseville Bridge?

And if you duck down Allambie Road, turn onto Aquatic Drive and go through the Warringah Aquatic Centre car park there is an overbridge that gets you over Wakehurst Parkway and around the Forest Way intersection?
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby simonn » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:12 am

Trailgumby, I don't suppose you have a map of a route from ~ Warringah Rd/Forest Way to somewhere that links up with the Epping Rd cycle track and/or Macquarie Park/North Ryde in general?

I'm not too keen on riding on Warringah Rd and across the Roseville Bridge with the other traffic. I have seen toooooooooo much scary behavior by drivers around there.
simonn

Postby JustJames » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks for the responses. I know about the shared use bridge at Roseville, but the rest was all ne's to me. Thanks.

James
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/
JustJames

Return to Commuting