Where do you commute from to

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Where do you commute from to

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Tuedays and Thursdays: Frenchs Forest East to Sydney Olympic Park. 29km each weay

I go via Roseville Bridge, Mowbray Rd, Epping Rd briefly, Pittwater then Badajoz Rd, continuing pretty much in a straight line WSW to cross Victoria Road to the Parramatta River foreshore. I then go across and turn back under Concord Rd bridge to head north west through to Rhodes before finishing with a nice dawdle through the SOP parklands.

In the evening, reverse. :D
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

by BNA » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 pm

BNA

Postby Chris249 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:36 pm

Wow, the distances some of you guys do make me feel so wimpy I'm not going to post on this thread.

Good stuff, guys.

PS; Mike I crossed you a few weeks back in Ultimo, but we were going opposite directions; no CCR action for us, but you'd certainly have the edge anyway.
There are many types of racing cyclists. There is the sprinter, the rouleur, the stagiaire, the danser, the descender.... sadly, I'm a mediocre. :-(

2003 Cervelo P2K time trial bike
2010 Merida Cyclocross 4
2008 Giant SS/track
2008 Vivente Como roadie
Chris249

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:08 pm

Every working day - Bateman to Train at Bullcreek. Mostly I hop off at Canning Bridge and then ride to east Perth via Como PSP, Riverside Drive and Plain Street. Going home I am more inclined to either take the trian most of the way or ride all of the way. It averages out at somewhere over 15km per day every day though I am doing far more atm. I cannot do less than 10km a day if I take the train the max.

Conditons are pretty easy along the route until the Freo Doctor starts up over summer when it can get quite hard to pedal home.

Weekends are reserved for really BIG rides.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:05 am

Chris249 wrote:Wow, the distances some of you guys do make me feel so wimpy I'm not going to post on this thread.

Good stuff, guys.

PS; Mike I crossed you a few weeks back in Ultimo, but we were going opposite directions; no CCR action for us, but you'd certainly have the edge anyway.

I was commuting North Sydney to Burwood on Thursday mornings at about 8am after having a couple of coffees with my mate at North Sydney, or earlier say 7.30 if coffee wasn't on. Now I'm not doing that that particular route.

Strawburger commutes in the same direction at around the same time as you
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby blossy84 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:09 pm

Chris249 wrote:Wow, the distances some of you guys do make me feel so wimpy I'm not going to post on this thread.

ditto :oops:
i love my bike(s)

blossy84

Postby A_P » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:51 pm

I have possibly the shortest commute, Labrador to Southport, about 4.5k each way. Takes about 10 minutes if im in a hurry. Usually go via the broadwater which is just the best way to start the day. Cant really justify driving such a short distance. Occasionally i do Labrador to Robina , which is about 20k.
Not a hill in sight on either of them :D
A_P

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:54 pm

Just finished my first round-trip commute, Ashfield to Macquarie Park, 24km each way. Averaged 20kph there and 21kph back but I was carrying a backpack with a weekends worth of clothes and toiletries with me. Can be pretty hilly in some places but it's mostly cycleways which is good. Looking to do it again this wednesday.
AndrewBurns

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:51 pm

Andrew, what route did you take?
A helmet saved my life
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:13 am

Mike, I'm at the very end of Ashfield, near Ashbury, so I rode down to the cooks river cycleway. Take that through to Strathfield, take a few streets to the start of a Bicentennial park cycleway. Follow that cycleway to Rhodes, cross the river on the rail bridge to Meadowbank. Go through a few more streets to get to Quarry road and take the cycleway from there all the way into work on Waterloo road.

Still working out my route from Meadowbank to Quarry road, the first route I took lead me to this enormous hill that I couldn't possibly ride up, think I'll take a different route next time.
AndrewBurns

Postby fenn_paddler » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:03 am

Assume you're referring to Melville St. If you find that too steep, turn right instead of left at the end of Bowden St. Then from there (parkes st), turn left onto Devlin which then takes you onto Blaxland Rd. That first bit of Blaxland Rd near the fire station may be more safely navigated on the footpath. Once near the tafe there is a safe lane to ride in and at after another block you'll be at the same point you would have been if you'd taken the too-steep-to-ride hill (Melville).
fenn_paddler

Postby AndrewBurns » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:25 am

No I don't take Melville though I've been told I should. I was talking about Anzac ave, from Hermitage I take Wattle St to Anzac ave and then take Anzac ave all the way to Blaxland road. The last bit of anzac ave is so steep that I had trouble even walking the bike up with my tired legs.
AndrewBurns

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:48 am

I have started commuting to work in the last 3 weeks or so. Small town called Greta -> Newcastle

I am only doing it one way at this stage as I need to work up my abilities for the ride home. One way is 45k's with a few hills thrown into it.

The whole trip is along major highways as well. Once I get the legs used to it I will throw a return trip in and slowly build up that return journey part.

I am enjoying the ride though, at this stage.
gretaboy

Postby fenn_paddler » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:40 am

AndrewBurns wrote:No I don't take Melville though I've been told I should. I was talking about Anzac ave, from Hermitage I take Wattle St to Anzac ave and then take Anzac ave all the way to Blaxland road. The last bit of anzac ave is so steep that I had trouble even walking the bike up with my tired legs.

I go Bowden, Parkes, then Melville to get to Blaxland Rd when riding gears, and the longer & less steep route I mentioned earlier when riding single speed.

I would be interested to hear your feedback if you get a chance to test either of those two alternatives to Anzac Ave.
fenn_paddler

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:00 am

Rode in this morning as well, with the new mudguards and rear rack, felt a lot nicer to ride without a back pack.

Took Hermitage to Parkes to Melville, still found it too hard and had to hop off about half way up. I'm sure I'll get there one day!
AndrewBurns

Postby queequeg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:11 am

AndrewBurns wrote:No I don't take Melville though I've been told I should. I was talking about Anzac ave, from Hermitage I take Wattle St to Anzac ave and then take Anzac ave all the way to Blaxland road. The last bit of anzac ave is so steep that I had trouble even walking the bike up with my tired legs.

I find that Anzac Ave is easier than Melville St, but turning right onto Blaxland Rd at Melville St is easier because the traffic lights are not that far away and you can do the right turn into Blaxland Rd, then left into North Rd quite easily.
At some point you have to climb up to Blaxland Rd, and most options are steep. You can follow the trainline from Meadowbank to Eastwood, and this avoids all the nasty hills. The downside is that it places you further away from your destination (but it is a downhill run from Eastwood to Quarry Rd). The most direct route is Mellville St. Anzac Ave or Parkes Rd/Deviln St/Blaxland are your alternatives

What's the gearing on your bike? You can always look at changing the cassette to give you a few extra gears, in which case Melville might not be so bad. My daily commute has some nasty hills (worst peaks at 27% gradient), and I was doing it on 53/39 + 11-28 gearing. I am now on a new bike with 50/34 + 11-32, and it really smooths out the hills!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby AndrewBurns » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:25 pm

I have no idea what the gearing is, I'll have to go have a look but it's an Aldi hybrid cobbled together from about as many different parts as possible ("thousand birds returned to nest"). If I had to guess though I'd say the gearing is already as low as I could go. It weighs about 18kg now with the rack and mudguards which doesn't help with hill climbing...

First commute in the rain today, rode home through the storm and got completely soaked. Waterproof rack bag worked fine and kept everything dry though so at least that's positive.
AndrewBurns

Postby Livetoride » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:55 am

Monday - Friday
To work - Oakleigh East - Caulfield - St Kilda - Port Melb via beach road - CBD
Home - Reverse of the above.
Happy Days
Livetoride

Postby SCF » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:47 pm

Nunawading to Melbourne CBD.

So far just Tuesdays and Thursdays (weather permitting).
SCF

Postby dungee » Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Thornlands to Spring Hill, It's about 33k's each way. I try to do 3 days a week but lately I've needed the car a bit for work so I'm getting fat quickly.
dungee

Postby joomz » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:45 pm

Meadowbank to Sydney, 20km each way. The best bits are the quiet roads, the worst bits are the dedicated cycle paths. Still trying to work out a way to avoid them.
Been averaging 25-27 km/h on a Trek Hybrid. Lashing out on a Specialized Tarmac tomorrow, looking forward to trying that out on the route 8)
joomz

Postby elStado » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:44 am

Hrm, I am considering working in the western suburbs (Claremont) but it's a 15km commute each way from where I live.

About 11km of that is along a pretty decent shared path, but the last 4km is along a busy multilane road with no cycle facilities. Won't be very fun to ride on with a flat bar urban bike.

15km each way is a bit of a hike (especially if the on-shore's blowing), but if you older bloke/sheilas are doing 20km+ each way, each day then I think I should be able to hack it after a while.
Check out my practical cycling and cycle touring website: VELOPHILE AUSTRALIA
elStado

Location: Riding somewhere around Perth on my Vivente World Randonneur!

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:42 pm

elStado wrote:... but the last 4km is along a busy multilane road with no cycle facilities. Won't be very fun to ride on with a flat bar urban bike.

What road are you referring to? There may be other options.

15km each way is a bit of a hike (especially if the on-shore's blowing), but if you older bloke/sheilas are doing 20km+ each way, each day then I think I should be able to hack it after a while.

My commute from Joondalup to Fremantle is 42 km in the afternoon ... 15 km is hardly an issue :wink: Plus if you are heading to the city first, then it will be more a of tail/crosswind for awhile anyway.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby blossy84 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:48 pm

Aushiker wrote:
elStado wrote:... but the last 4km is along a busy multilane road with no cycle facilities. Won't be very fun to ride on with a flat bar urban bike.

What road are you referring to? There may be other options.

My commute from Joondalup to Fremantle is 42 km in the afternoon ... 15 km is hardly an issue :wink: Plus if you are heading to the city first, then it will be more a of tail/crosswind for awhile anyway.

Andrew

Except when summer arrives with those damn hot easterlies.
i love my bike(s)

blossy84

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:59 pm

erin wrote:Except when summer arrives with those damn hot easterlies.

They are in the morning generally so will favour the ride to Claremont.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby blossy84 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:03 am

Aushiker wrote:
erin wrote:Except when summer arrives with those damn hot easterlies.

They are in the morning generally so will favour the ride to Claremont.

Andrew

Sorry I made a silly assumption... When you mentioned riding to the city first, I just assumed in the morning, sorry :oops:

But back to those easterlies...they can be not so nice when it's hot.
i love my bike(s)

blossy84

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting