First ride to work on Monday - wish me luck!

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: First ride to work on Monday - wish me luck!

Postby Orion » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Well, I've finished my first week of commuting by bike. What have I learned so far:

I really need somewhere to store a few things at work like shoes and clothes. There are a couple of lockers so I will have to see if one is available.

I feel so much better during the day compared to driving. This alone is a good reason to stick with riding.

Getting changed into work clothes and then back into riding clothes later is a little inconvenient but I suppose I'll get used to that.

Above all, I love the fact I'm doing something "alternative". Nobody around here rides to work and I've gotten a couple of funny looks from other staff when I rock up in cycling attire.

I'm saving money on fuel, tyres, brakes, etc on the car. I'm not polluting (except for an occasional burst of methane :wink: ), it's quiet, I see things I wouldn't normally see in the car (like a family of wood ducks - Mum, Dad and half-dozen bubs).
Overall, what's not to love about it? Thanks for the encouragement and advice this past week.
See you out there :)
Orion

by BNA » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:12 pm

BNA

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:12 pm

:)

Mission accomplished then.

'onya! :D
Do you enjoy talking in circles? Love arguing over silly semantics with like minded people?
Try an online forum today!
HappyHumber

First ride to work on Monday - wish me luck!

Postby Comedian » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Wohoo!
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby Lizzy » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:13 am

Excellent!

No idea what your work environment is like, but if you have a desk or workspace that's 'yours', at a pinch, everything could go in a lidded basket / tub or something that you could just slide out of sight under the desk. Or, the bottom drawer of a filing cabinet if there's one going spare. That plus a hook on the back of a door somewhere for a towel and you're sorted.

At work, I keep two pairs of shoes, toiletries and chamois + microfibre towel and two jackets in case I need to be presentable at short notice. That means I only need to transport undies + mid-layer and lunch, which goes in my trunk bag with enough room to spare to pick something up for dinner on the way home 8)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby Orion » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:50 pm

I work at a "hot desk" which means it's not "my" space. I work only 3 days a week ATM and other people use the desk on days I'm not there.
I hang my towel off a filing cabinet next to me so at least it dries. I keep my riding clothes in my (open) bag under my desk.
No doubt I'll fine tune things as time goes on.
Orion

Previous

Return to Commuting