noob question for commute (tyres and rims)

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

noob question for commute (tyres and rims)

Postby jheeno » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:26 pm

Hello all
some background
I'm really keen on riding to work using my road bike
Right now its got
Wheels Bontrager SSR rims and
Tyres Bontrager R1, 700x23c

Question 1. Today I hit a pot hole ... will these regular occurrences damage my rim ?
Question 2. Don't care about my tyres wearing but are my tyres suitable for commuting ?

It's a 20km ride generally from Bexley to the City.

Thanks heads and sorry if the questions are a bit noob.
jheeno

by BNA » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 pm

BNA

Re: noob question for commute (tyres and rims)

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:19 pm

Yes.
Probably.

Too many impacts will damage any wheel eventually, it's usually better to avoid potholes if possible. For the ones you can't miss, learning to bunnyhop or at least unweighting the bike will make life easier for both your wheels and body.

I've no idea about the grip or longevity of your tyres but will assume that they do a passable job of holding you up when not commuting. When they wear out, you will have dozens of choices, there's more than one thread discussing what the posters think is best for them.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Crawf » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:54 am

23's are not ideal tyres for commuting, but a great deal of people still use them. Come wet weather they can get a little hairy.
Moving to a 25/28/32 tyre would result in a more comfortable ride and arguably better handling in bad weather, but fitment would depend on frame clearance.
As far as your wheelset goes, generally speaking - the more spokes you have, the more durability and strength you have. Your weight will be a big factor also.
Crawf

Postby lethoso » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:34 am

jheeno wrote:Question 2. Don't care about my tyres wearing but are my tyres suitable for commuting ?

I'd really look at getting some heavy duty tyres. Those will be ok, but if you're doing a lot of commuting miles on them, you will puncture, and it will usually be when it's least convenient. I had some continental GP4000s I was commuting on, punctured every 800km or so. Switched to fatter schwalbe marathons, done over 5000km without any flats so far. I wouldn't let it stop you though, you should be fine to commute on those for a bit, just expect to puncture sooner or later.

as for wheels/potholes, depends on what you weigh and how you handle the bike. If you're not too heavy or too rough on them, those will probably hold up fine for quite a while.
lethoso

Postby westab » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:53 am

I agree with Crawf regarding 23mm wide tyres (even though I ride with 23mm). I do carry a fair amount of gear (including a laptop which is 4kg most days)in panniers. My average weight on the way to work is 9kg in the bags (it is lighter on the way home by about 2kg) the 25mm tyres on my old bike do make for an easier ride.

I have not used any other sizes crawf mentioned as the 25mm tyre do the job well. Also if your rims will fit a 23mm tyre most of them will also fit a 25mm.

Regarding the wheels my current bike (a four year old Cell Blade - Sora 8 speed) has got low end twin wall rims and joytech hubs with both front and rear having 32 round spokes. These are good; reasonably tuff, and more importantly get me home if I do break a spoke. This happened on my rear yesterday and I could "nurse" my machine home (and replace the spoke last night as I carry spares in the back shed). If you are going to carry any sort of weight I would recomend at least 32 spoke wheels or higher (with good quality spokes and nipples). I am currently re-building my 20y.o. Repco Superlite with 36H wheels & 25mm wide tyres.

The last thing I do is also have a spare wheelset ready to go in case I walk out to a flat in the morning - I just swap it out and GO. (I don't have a car - Mrs Westab needs it).
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby lethoso » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:55 pm

westab wrote:Also if your rims will fit a 23mm tyre most of them will also fit a 25mm.

Rims aren't the issue, it's the frame clearance. I'd struggle to fit 25s on my roady, let alone anything fatter.
lethoso

Postby westab » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:26 pm

lethoso wrote:
westab wrote:Also if your rims will fit a 23mm tyre most of them will also fit a 25mm.

Rims aren't the issue, it's the frame clearance. I'd struggle to fit 25s on my roady, let alone anything fatter.

You are correct - both my bikes don't have any issues with it wider tyres :) . One of my mates who has a higher spec road bike (Trek Madone with 105) doesn't have an issue either but we should always check. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Return to Commuting