Crossing main roads

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Crossing main roads

Postby eeksll » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:51 pm

I got this in my email today
http://maps.sa.gov.au/cycleinstead/

had a play and its suggested route for me is to cross 3-4 busy main roads (not at traffic lights).

I never liked doing this in a car and I find it much worse on a bike. Those little left onto main roads then first right across the other sides are not much better. I prefer to ride on the main road than to take back streets and have to cross main roads. If I didn't have to cross I'd probably take back roads more often than I do.

What are other peoples opinions on cross main roads/turning right on to main roads? Anyone do/like it and have opinions how to navigate it well?
eeksll

by BNA » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:27 pm

BNA

Re: Crossing main roads

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:27 pm

It's only a suggestion, you have to do what you feel works best for you.

Each crossing point, each intersection, each obstacle to a smooth, hassle free ride has to be taken on its own merits or lack of them. From a personalised, generalising pov, keep your head on a swivel, assume you are invisible and cover your brakes. Be alert for a gap and be ready to hammer when one appears.
In some cases, a little legally grey behavior may be your safest option, but again, that will depend on the location and the traffic circumstances prevailing at that place and time. Something nobody else can really advise on as your situation is unique.

Not really helpful I know but it's the most specific I can be without knowing and experiencing your route.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:13 pm

Statistics I've seen on bicycle collisions show that certain situations are of greater risk. Number one in urban areas was, I think, "entering the roadway" but soon after that came "at intersections". All intersections have hazards but uncontrolled intersections are worse. I find it much safer, predictable and convenient to deal with traffic at controlled intersections. At all intersections I will always treat them like I would driving a car.

Many people have this fear of being hit from behind. Generally in the city it is fairly low risk. Lots of other situations are more dangerous. On rural roads however this is the number one collision situation, and usually the deadliest :(
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby teamdanby » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:15 pm

il padrone wrote:Statistics I've seen on bicycle collisions show that certain situations are of greater risk. Number one in urban areas was, I think, "entering the roadway" but soon after that came "at intersections". All intersections have hazards but uncontrolled intersections are worse. I find it much safer, predictable and convenient to deal with traffic at controlled intersections. At all intersections I will always treat them like I would driving a car.
Many people have this fear of being hit from behind. Generally in the city it is fairly low risk. Lots of other situations are more dangerous. On rural roads however this is the number one collision situation, and usually the deadliest :(

lucky me i'm in a rural area and for my communte there are NO controled intersections not even the one to get onto the pacific highway

but doing as il padrone typed i find it is easyest and it also make you be more seen
so just like in a car i will wait and watch both ways untill i have enoght of a gap i feel happy with and then go like a bat out of hell
i will also comand the whole turning lane so to make myself seen easyer and lets face it over short distances a bike can out accelirate a car
this is working for me but you need to work out what make you feel right and works for yourself

one thing is for sure but city riding is alot diffrent to country riding and even thou we have less room we do have less cars to deal with and on the most they do seem to give alot more respect
Daily comuter
Gaint XTC mtb
city slicker wheels for the week
kenda nevegal for the tracks on the weekends
teamdanby

Return to Commuting