2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Livetoride » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Well this year is nearly finished and it's been good fun with the commuter cup challenge so we're going again for 2012. Its simple to join, just put your hand up in here and join Endomondo. Its a free membership based site that allows you to log your rides through your phone (via a free app) or garmin. You can either log your commuter rides by using Endomondo (which logs it automatically for you) on your phone or garmin or log them manually.

Endomondo provides a number of different data analysis points including split times (e.g., by the kilometre) so you can see how fast you where each kilometre of the ride, what your fastest kilometre was, your slowest and so on. There is other data analysis available as well.

Please only log your commuting rides rather than your sporting rides.

Start date - 01-01-2012

Endomondo site - http://www.endomondo.com/login
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

by BNA » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:35 pm

BNA
 

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:35 pm

User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby simonn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Livetoride wrote:Please only log your commuting rides rather than your sporting rides.


Just for some clarification, you can log sporting rides in Endomondo because this competition only counts the value of "Cycling, Transport" in the "Sport" field.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3449
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Livetoride » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:51 pm

simonn wrote:
Livetoride wrote:Please only log your commuting rides rather than your sporting rides.


Just for some clarification, you can log sporting rides in Endomondo because this competition only counts the "Sport" value of "Cycling, Transport".


Yup you can log both sporting and transport rides on Endomondo but for this challenge you can only log your cycling transport rides.
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby simonn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:15 pm

Livetoride wrote:Yup you can log both sporting and transport rides on Endomondo but this challenge will only take account of the rides you log as Cycling, Transport.


FTFY. Sorry, I am being a pedant, but I had this discussion with another member when this year started and it was pointed out I logged an Audax ride on Endomondo and I had to explain how it all works.
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3449
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Livetoride » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:17 pm

simonn wrote:
Livetoride wrote:Yup you can log both sporting and transport rides on Endomondo but this challenge will only take account of the rides you log as Cycling, Transport.


FTFY. Sorry, I am being a pedant, but I had this discussion with another member when this year started and it was pointed out I logged an Audax ride on Endomondo and I had to explain how it all works.

Ahaa... but now you've got me again with FTFY.. Doh I'm not with it...
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:32 pm

http://www.internetslang.com/acronym.asp

You can log whatever you want to Endomondo - but if you enter the challenge, you need to keep in mind the 'Cycling Transport' workout description affects these results.
IMO, a touring ride would indeed count as 'Cycling -Transport'. AUDAX however, is a competition and perhaps 'Cycling Sport'.

EDIT: typos, poorly writen lines... :roll:
Last edited by Kenzo on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby simonn » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:43 pm

Livetoride wrote:Ahaa... but now you've got me again with FTFY.. Doh I'm not with it...



http://lmgtfy.com/?q=FTFY

(original meaning of course)

:)
Image
User avatar
simonn
 
Posts: 3449
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 am
Location: Sydney

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby lethoso » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:22 pm

I might give it a miss next year - currently using strava & endomondo, but I think I'd prefer to use just one site for tracking, and strava's my current preference :)
Image
lethoso
 
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:56 pm
Location: brisbane, 4101

2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:37 pm

Woohoo... I'm currently #1!
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Livetoride » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 am

Kenzo wrote:Woohoo... I'm currently #1!


Enjoy it while it lasts :twisted: :twisted:
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby gretaboy » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:29 am

Im in...will give me added incentive to ride through winter
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1164
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby J-Tim » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:16 pm

Signed up!
Image
User avatar
J-Tim
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Livetoride » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:36 pm

So who's gonna be the first cab off the rank in Jan.... I'm not back till Jan 16th so that might give some of you a head start (you'll need it LOL) :D :D
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby TailWind » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:39 pm

I'm in & should be back in the saddle on the 9th of Jan!
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1128
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby J-Tim » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:44 pm

I should start riding to work on the 2nd, as long as temps aren't above 30.
Image
User avatar
J-Tim
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby westab » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:48 pm

Livetoride wrote:So who's gonna be the first cab off the rank in Jan.... I'm not back till Jan 16th so that might give some of you a head start (you'll need it LOL) :D :D


I'll be joining the challenge - Thanks for doing this LTR. I also will not be back at work till the 16th but will be doing some commutes to swimming training with my daughter and to the shops as well.

Also just one other note - I don't have a bike computer / smart phone witha GPS but I can log my rides manually (usually weekly) using Endomondo - it's easy so please don't be put off is this is an issue for you.

See you out there. :D
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Blacktown, NSW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Livetoride » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:03 pm

westab wrote:
Livetoride wrote:So who's gonna be the first cab off the rank in Jan.... I'm not back till Jan 16th so that might give some of you a head start (you'll need it LOL) :D :D


I'll be joining the challenge - Thanks for doing this LTR. I also will not be back at work till the 16th but will be doing some commutes to swimming training with my daughter and to the shops as well.

Also just one other note - I don't have a bike computer / smart phone witha GPS but I can log my rides manually (usually weekly) using Endomondo - it's easy so please don't be put off is this is an issue for you.

See you out there. :D


No issue at all mate, giddy up and bring on 2012 I say :D :D
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Mugglechops » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:26 pm

I am in. Back to riding to work on the 7th I think.
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2279
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:53 pm

to kick it off, on Jan 1st I will go for a very short ride down to the local servo to get a litre of milk... :mrgreen:
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby westab » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:04 pm

Kenzo wrote:to kick it off, on Jan 1st I will go for a very short ride down to the local servo to get a litre of milk... :mrgreen:


Great idea - could you please give me the adress for your local servo - I might ride from Sydney to ensure you don't have to do it alone. Will that count as a "commute" :roll: :? :roll: :wink:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Blacktown, NSW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:11 pm

westab wrote:
Kenzo wrote:to kick it off, on Jan 1st I will go for a very short ride down to the local servo to get a litre of milk... :mrgreen:


Great idea - could you please give me the adress for your local servo - I might ride from Sydney to ensure you don't have to do it alone. Will that count as a "commute" :roll: :? :roll: :wink:

If you really want to - sure...
It's about 'transport', not just commuting... this is what I read in the 2011 thread anyway.
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby westab » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:19 pm

Kenzo wrote:
westab wrote:
Kenzo wrote:to kick it off, on Jan 1st I will go for a very short ride down to the local servo to get a litre of milk... :mrgreen:


Great idea - could you please give me the adress for your local servo - I might ride from Sydney to ensure you don't have to do it alone. Will that count as a "commute" :roll: :? :roll: :wink:

If you really want to - sure...
It's about 'transport', not just commuting... this is what I read in the 2011 thread anyway.


Too True my mistake :oops: Also will not have a machine available - Repco Superlite rebuild not yet complete - Cell Blade gets stripped overnight (while I comfort our frightened dog from the fireworks) ready for a service the next day.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab
 
Posts: 1249
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Blacktown, NSW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Livetoride » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:33 pm

Kenzo wrote:
westab wrote:
Kenzo wrote:to kick it off, on Jan 1st I will go for a very short ride down to the local servo to get a litre of milk... :mrgreen:


Great idea - could you please give me the adress for your local servo - I might ride from Sydney to ensure you don't have to do it alone. Will that count as a "commute" :roll: :? :roll: :wink:

If you really want to - sure...
It's about 'transport', not just commuting... this is what I read in the 2011 thread anyway.

Yarp, its any commute that you replace a car, your feet with a bike.. :D :D
Happy Days
User avatar
Livetoride
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:47 pm
Location: South Eastern Melbourne

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby J-Tim » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:22 pm

What if I go for a long ride and check my work email, when stopped for a brake ? That's a commute, right ? RIGHT ???
Image
User avatar
J-Tim
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:36 pm

Next

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist