2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 10, 2012 8:33 am

TailWind wrote:
Gretaboy, if you remain consistent, you'll annihilate all of us before the year is out..you'll fly by so quickly I won't even get the chance to wave :wink:


TW...if thats the case, reduce your daily k's from today so that I can pass you quicker and we can get it over and done with so we save all (ME) any further pain. Those cold rainy days are going to be a real mental challenge...once in the rain I am ok, but it is moving from a dry house and taking the initial rain hit that is the hardest

If I am consistent during this month I am hoping to get 1700 or so k's for the month...hopefully that will peg some of this lead you guys have got back
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

by BNA » Thu May 10, 2012 9:16 am

BNA
 

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Thu May 10, 2012 9:16 am

After just over four hours of riding yesterday (mostly MTB trails in the morning before work) my legs were too smashed to ride today... (plus work will have me using a car this arvo and in the morning tomorrow).

So I caught the bus this morning - armed with my iPad, headphones and Season 5 of 'Chuck', public transport today was comfortable and enjoyable.

It will be interesting to see what my monthly kms becomes when I finally settle into a routine. The first four months had me averaging over 800km. The next...?
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby jasonc » Thu May 10, 2012 9:31 am

gretaboy wrote:If I am consistent during this month I am hoping to get 1700 or so k's for the month...hopefully that will peg some of this lead you guys have got back


:shock:
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby jasonc » Fri May 11, 2012 8:38 am

just the standard commute for me today but I have to nick off to the post office this afternoon to pick up a parcel so that will give me an extra 3kms I think.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Tue May 15, 2012 7:22 am

Gretaboy is now less than 200km 'behind' me...
I'm bracing for the impact!
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby TailWind » Tue May 15, 2012 7:28 am

gretaboy wrote:
TailWind wrote:
Gretaboy, if you remain consistent, you'll annihilate all of us before the year is out..you'll fly by so quickly I won't even get the chance to wave :wink:

TW...if thats the case, reduce your daily k's from today so that I can pass you quicker and we can get it over and done with so we save all (ME) any further pain. T

Hmmm, unless I find a wormhole or some other irregularity in the space-time continuum, there's not much of a chance of reduced kms from my new place :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby jasonc » Tue May 15, 2012 7:40 am

TailWind wrote:Hmmm, unless I find a wormhole or some other irregularity in the space-time continuum, there's not much of a chance of reduced kms from my new place :mrgreen:


And I'll just wave from P5
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby gretaboy » Tue May 15, 2012 8:54 am

Kenzo wrote:Gretaboy is now less than 200km 'behind' me...
I'm bracing for the impact!


Taken a lot of effort to get to this point too. My partner thinks I am crazy to be riding in the cold at the moment, was something like 2-3 degrees this morning.

I am thinking it will be less than 100 once my k's get uploaded this morning
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby jasonc » Wed May 16, 2012 7:41 pm

gretaboy wrote:I am thinking it will be less than 100 once my k's get uploaded this morning


wow - looking like 40kms this afternoon. gretaboy - hope you're not smashing yourself to bits down there
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Wed May 16, 2012 8:06 pm

I didn't do my regular 54-56 km commute this morning, just a 7km ride to the start of a MTB ride with some friends. Still had around two hours on the bike today so I'm happy with that.

My plan to reduce the commuting to bring back the time on the MTB is paying off. :-)
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby matt_h1 » Wed May 16, 2012 8:34 pm

I think I'm near the bottom :( I only cycle 75Km a week.
matt_h1
 
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed May 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 17, 2012 8:30 am

jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:I am thinking it will be less than 100 once my k's get uploaded this morning


wow - looking like 40kms this afternoon. gretaboy - hope you're not smashing yourself to bits down there



Am feeling flat, very flat this week, monday has been the only day I felt good...but I am simply trying to be consistent with the riding hence the gradual gain on Kenzo...plus the fact that he has dropped his commuting k's has made things a little quicker

I am also just enjoying the riding I guess. Have taken out the desire to "smash it" on every ride, knowing full well I cant anyway, and instead simply doing the k's. I have never ridden so many k's in my life so this is all new to me really. I am interested now to see how many k's I can do for the full year.
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby jasonc » Thu May 17, 2012 9:29 am

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:
gretaboy wrote:I am thinking it will be less than 100 once my k's get uploaded this morning


wow - looking like 40kms this afternoon. gretaboy - hope you're not smashing yourself to bits down there



Am feeling flat, very flat this week, monday has been the only day I felt good...but I am simply trying to be consistent with the riding hence the gradual gain on Kenzo...plus the fact that he has dropped his commuting k's has made things a little quicker

I am also just enjoying the riding I guess. Have taken out the desire to "smash it" on every ride, knowing full well I cant anyway, and instead simply doing the k's. I have never ridden so many k's in my life so this is all new to me really. I am interested now to see how many k's I can do for the full year.

gretaboy - i've dramatically upped the kms this years too - to have already passed 4000kms is a lot for me. I think 10k is achievable. listen to your body. agree with not smashing every ride (which i'm also accustomed to but with the extra kms, our bodies have to recover). don't forget to mix up the rides a bit so not to get bored!
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Thu May 17, 2012 9:35 am

matt_h1 wrote:I think I'm near the bottom :( I only cycle 75Km a week.

That's still pretty good!

I know a lot of mountain bikes who cycle only on the weekend.. they would stop after 20kms at most.
I used to live only 3kms from work so my commuting kms totalled only 30kms, plus occasionally weekend mountainbiking or a bunch ride meant reaching a 75km/week total would have been rare.

So if it is a goal to be 'ride fit'... then on the weekends on on a weekday - add in a longer ride where you get to push yourself just a little bit harder.

jasonc wrote:gretaboy - i've dramatically upped the kms this years too - to have already passed 4000kms is a lot for me. I think 10k is achievable. listen to your body. agree with not smashing every ride (which i'm also accustomed to but with the extra kms, our bodies have to recover). don't forget to mix up the rides a bit so not to get bored!

Indeed...
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 17, 2012 9:41 am

gretaboy - i've dramatically upped the kms this years too - to have already passed 4000kms is a lot for me. I think 10k is achievable. listen to your body. agree with not smashing every ride (which i'm also accustomed to but with the extra kms, our bodies have to recover). don't forget to mix up the rides a bit so not to get bored!


Just went into 3rd place this morning, after this arvos ride I wont be on the bike again until Tuesday with regards to commuting k's so lets see if I keep that place

Jason - I am now also looking at trying to overtake you in the Bike journal department as well :), not that many places from you at this point

I cant change the course that I ride all that much, but trying to dodge the crap on the road keeps my mind focused and I have started picking points on my ride to go hard and other points where I just ride. I have hills at the end of my morning and arvo rides, so I always try and smash it on them now to try and improve my climbing ability...do little things to keep me interested. Am seriously thinking about introducing an ipod as well for music and just have one earphone in so I can still hear the traffic coming up behind me

Soon I will be trying to increase my daily k's as a result of being involved in the Global Corporate challenge. I will aim for a minimum of 100k's a day when this starts.
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby jasonc » Thu May 17, 2012 9:50 am

gretaboy wrote:
gretaboy - i've dramatically upped the kms this years too - to have already passed 4000kms is a lot for me. I think 10k is achievable. listen to your body. agree with not smashing every ride (which i'm also accustomed to but with the extra kms, our bodies have to recover). don't forget to mix up the rides a bit so not to get bored!


Just went into 3rd place this morning, after this arvos ride I wont be on the bike again until Tuesday with regards to commuting k's so lets see if I keep that place

Jason - I am now also looking at trying to overtake you in the Bike journal department as well :), not that many places from you at this point

I cant change the course that I ride all that much, but trying to dodge the crap on the road keeps my mind focused and I have started picking points on my ride to go hard and other points where I just ride. I have hills at the end of my morning and arvo rides, so I always try and smash it on them now to try and improve my climbing ability...do little things to keep me interested. Am seriously thinking about introducing an ipod as well for music and just have one earphone in so I can still hear the traffic coming up behind me

Soon I will be trying to increase my daily k's as a result of being involved in the Global Corporate challenge. I will aim for a minimum of 100k's a day when this starts.


wow. 100kms per day is big. you should pass me on bikejournal this afternoon as no commuting for me today as I'm having a daddy day.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby gretaboy » Thu May 17, 2012 9:59 am

jasonc wrote:
wow. 100kms per day is big. you should pass me on bikejournal this afternoon as no commuting for me today as I'm having a daddy day.


yeah it is, but it is only an extra 10k's a day compared to what I am doing now, so not that big a jump really

again, just a matter of my body getting used to it I guess, and the real key is what time I can leave home
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby jasonc » Thu May 17, 2012 10:34 am

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:
wow. 100kms per day is big. you should pass me on bikejournal this afternoon as no commuting for me today as I'm having a daddy day.


yeah it is, but it is only an extra 10k's a day compared to what I am doing now, so not that big a jump really

again, just a matter of my body getting used to it I guess, and the real key is what time I can leave home

i know what you mean. am currently leaving home just before 5:30 and riding for about an hour and a half. the coldest time in brisbane is sunrise and it's colder at home than the direction i'm traveling so I'm lucky in that way. but the roads are dark even with my good light you still have to deal with ninjas and salmon ninjas. i did a new ride this morning and had only a vague idea where i was going. definitely less enjoyable (because it was dark).
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Thu May 17, 2012 10:43 am

gretaboy wrote:Am seriously thinking about introducing an ipod as well for music and just have one earphone in so I can still hear the traffic coming up behind me

Try using a small water resistant speaker mounted to your top tube.. cheap at under $30 on eBay. Some come with their own battery power supply (a AAA or AA battery).. so don't draw too much from your iPod or iPhone.
This way your ears are free of the noise made by the wind rushing over the earphones.
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby jasonc » Thu May 17, 2012 10:55 am

Kenzo wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Am seriously thinking about introducing an ipod as well for music and just have one earphone in so I can still hear the traffic coming up behind me

Try using a small water resistant speaker mounted to your top tube.. cheap at under $30 on eBay. Some come with their own battery power supply (a AAA or AA battery).. so don't draw too much from your iPod or iPhone.
This way your ears are free of the noise made by the wind rushing over the earphones.

i use canalphones as i suffer badly from wind noise to the point where i almost can't hear for a while after i ride if i don't. i have a little radio plugged in. every now and then i'll turn it on to hear the news (monday mornings - has webber come forth again?) but apart from that i don't hear it. still allows me to ride and hear everything around me without suffering the ear with wind block problems...
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby TailWind » Thu May 17, 2012 6:53 pm

gretaboy wrote:
jasonc wrote:
wow. 100kms per day is big. you should pass me on bikejournal this afternoon as no commuting for me today as I'm having a daddy day.


yeah it is, but it is only an extra 10k's a day compared to what I am doing now, so not that big a jump really

again, just a matter of my body getting used to it I guess, and the real key is what time I can leave home


+1
Big numbers for sure for commuting. Respect.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
User avatar
TailWind
 
Posts: 1238
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:02 pm
Location: Mill Park, Melbourne

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby gretaboy » Fri May 18, 2012 10:32 am

@kenzo....trying to make my stay in 3rd place as short as you can I can see lol...what happened to dropping the commute k's?????

will take me to wednesday/thursday to claw it all back...oh well something to keep me pushing I guess
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby jasonc » Fri May 18, 2012 11:26 am

gretaboy wrote:@kenzo....trying to make my stay in 3rd place as short as you can I can see lol...what happened to dropping the commute k's?????

will take me to wednesday/thursday to claw it all back...oh well something to keep me pushing I guess

at least you've got something to go for now. i'm all by my lonesome
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5835
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby Kenzo » Fri May 18, 2012 11:56 am

gretaboy wrote:@kenzo....trying to make my stay in 3rd place as short as you can I can see lol...what happened to dropping the commute k's?????

will take me to wednesday/thursday to claw it all back...oh well something to keep me pushing I guess

LOL - No, by tonight you should have at least a 30km 'lead' on me, and by Wednesday morning (my 'rest/MTB day') I should have commuted another 100-110kms.
So if you start again on Wednesday - you'll have me again by the end of your ride home.
User avatar
Kenzo
 
Posts: 1680
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:13 am
Location: Daisy Hill / Brisbane, Southside FTW

Re: 2012 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby gretaboy » Fri May 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Kenzo wrote:LOL - No, by tonight you should have at least a 30km 'lead' on me, and by Wednesday morning (my 'rest/MTB day') I should have commuted another 100-110kms.
So if you start again on Wednesday - you'll have me again by the end of your ride home.



no riding for me today or monday...in a different location ....so you will get 3rd back tonite
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1192
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit