Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby Big_Red » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Of course if you want to burn through the downhills at 50kph+ being clipped in makes this a lot easier to do. I hit 55kph on the road bike today coming home, which is an absolute hoot, but my all time fastest was actually on my mtb at 68kph. Once I got SPD's on both road & mtb there was no looking back. Personally, the lack of trackstanding ability is a non issue for me, as clipping in and out at the lights is no problem & now second nature.
Image
User avatar
Big_Red
 
Posts: 368
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:00 pm
Location: Brisbane East

by BNA » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:32 pm

BNA
 

Re: Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby Xplora » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:32 pm

lt wrote:Right on, dude.

Wow. I suddenly understand :idea: :roll: :lol: @u kthxyarly
Xplora
 
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby mateyboi » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:35 pm

nassy wrote:Hi all,
So I've currently moved to a new building at work that provides good bike facilities. Also, i live about 10 kms from work, so cycling is definitely an option of travel.

Now riding to work on a roadie would be great because of the extra speed, but i find that riding into the city is a pain because of the number of times i need to unclip ( traffic, pedestrians, traffic lights, etc)

So now the question is, should i stick to riding my roadie and learn to unclip? (I'm new to cycling)
OR should I buy a cheap MTB with flat pedals?
Im leaning towards the MTB decision because of ease of use and less chance of tyre punctures...

Please help!

Thanks, Danny.


Get a Roadie or hybrid, you'll get to work faster.

Unless you a planing to go on the trails, a mountain bike it is definitely overkill for a commuting and it is slow and heavy.

You might end up liking road riding and instead of just riding to work you do social rides with mates!

Riding with clipless will make you pedal more efficiency and believe me once you get use to it, it will be second nature to unclip and clipin. Just practice on a flat piece of road unclipping and clipping in 20 times.

Just get beefer tyres and won't have an issue with flats like conti gator skins.
mateyboi
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:55 pm

Re: Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby Mugglechops » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:01 pm

Xplora wrote:It's a pretty simple process. The pedals go up and down, round and round. If you are able to use force through the whole stroke, you are being more efficient.


The whole pro peleton rides flat pedals so your argument is wrong.




Oh hang on :roll:
User avatar
Mugglechops
 
Posts: 2362
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:51 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby Xplora » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:38 pm

Mugglechops wrote:Oh hang on :roll:

LOL :lol:
Xplora
 
Posts: 6065
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:33 pm
Location: TL;DR

Re: Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby AndrewBurns » Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:24 pm

I guess track sprinters have completely ruined knees because they need clipless pedals and double foot straps to keep their feet from ripping off the pedals on the up-stroke!

I don't actively think "pull up" when pedaling but I do pull hard when laying down the power to the point where I've pulled my feet out of low-tension pedals, when I'm pedaling at higher cadences it's more of a scooping motion but I still notice my feet lifting off when I ride flat pedals.
Image
AndrewBurns
 
Posts: 996
Joined: Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:36 pm

Re: Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby high_tea » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:59 am

Track sprinters care not for efficiency. More power, however inefficiently it's produced, is the requirement. The relevance to commuting is zero.
high_tea
 
Posts: 1267
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm

Re: Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby Muchomint » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:32 pm

Back on topic. I ride SPD's to work, but have been riding them for years. I bought single sided PD-A530's for my Honky Inc. Great touring pedals, but cause a few problems on busy roads. I want to clip first time every time without looking down - there is just too much going on to look down and not get away properly. Now and again they present themselves the wrong way up.

So, they came off 2 weeks ago and I got something similar (cant remember the model no) but dual sided. Much much happier. I'd certainly keep this in mind when looking for commuting pedals if you ride on busy roads.
Muchomint
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby HLC » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:48 pm

Fixed gear with 25 or 28c's and learn to track stand :D
User avatar
HLC
 
Posts: 646
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:23 pm
Location: Sydney.

Re: Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby newbikeorupgrade » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:12 pm

I personally would choose a hybrid if only going 10k.
I ride in a tight urban environment and I would use flat pedals.
I find it much easier to jump of the bike in case of accidents and kick cars that don't know your there and cut into your lane trying to kill you in the process.
Wider tyres better in the wet to.

The other option is buy two bikes...

ahaha
newbikeorupgrade
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:40 pm

Roadie or MTB, clip less or flat pedals?

Postby The Walrus » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:00 pm

I've just got a road bike and have made the scary jump to clip-ins. Bloody rain has limited my riding since but it's not been as bad as I'd feared.

My intention was to add clip-ins to the MTB that I use purely for commuting and for fun, but I'm rethinking that and might stay with flats for now.
Never underestimate the power of ignorance
User avatar
The Walrus
 
Posts: 462
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Newcastle NSW

Previous

Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit