Might have found my Xtracycle platform

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Might have found my Xtracycle platform

Postby WestcoastPete » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:26 pm

I've been keeping my eye out around old D-town for a steel 26" platform to build an Xtracycle out of; Shogun Trailbreaker at the top of my list.

I was just down at the tip dumping more palm fronds and found this at the tip shop:

Pretty low level Mtn bike with a Reynolds 500 cromo frame, pressed dropouts.

$15.

I've had my eye out for a few months now without coming across any better, and short of spending $100 to get an $80 Trailbreaker equivalent sent up, I reckon this might be it. Maybe.
WestcoastPete

by BNA » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:15 pm

BNA

Re: Might have found my Xtracycle platform

Postby landscapecadmonkey » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:15 pm

Ive been riding a Big Dummy with an Xtracycle set up out the back for about 4mths now to take a 5yr old shopping / picnics / rides with stuff on, and when packed with shopping and the lad, one of the best attributes would have to be the sloping top tube when getting on and off. A step over the top tube, rather than throw the leg over from behind action, I find infinitely more stable, and has saved the lads forehead from my shoe.

I tried making the xtracycle inserts myself, but gave up and ordered from the states. The shipping was hideous (close to $200) but works very well.

Are you home fabricating the free-radical part (bike subframe extension) or ordering from the states ?

Good luck with your project
chop wood
landscapecadmonkey

Return to Commuting