moorooka to city

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

moorooka to city

Postby rebound101 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:27 pm

hi all,

just purchased a new bike today for my commute to work. i got a giant cross city 2 (2012) abit out of my range but im sure it'll pay itself back in no time. ive just moved into a place on beaudesert road and am looking to commute into Ann st in Brisbane city where i work. im not too sure about the area and am looking for the most direct route but to avoid the insane traffic around here that i see on the bus each morning.

any help would be great.

thanks guys!!
rebound101

by BNA » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:20 pm

BNA

Re: moorooka to city

Postby KonaCommuter » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Nice choice of ride :D

I can’t help you specifically with your route selection however this site may help you out

http://ridethecity.com/brisbane
2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

moorooka to city

Postby Kenzo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:26 pm

I used to live on Forest St Moorooka.
I would ride down Beaudesert rd to Ipswich Rd, then Ipswich Rd** up to Annerley Rd then ride Annerley Rd down to the Mater Hospital, Stanley St to the Goodwill Bridge... Then choose your way to your office. At QUT, you can follow the bike track below the freeway to Adelaide St...

** you can just ride the footpath along Ipswich Rd from Soden St all the way to Venner Rd going between road and path as traffic requires and as you feel comfortable. I found Annerley Rd to be an easy road to ride.

The return journey is pretty much the same except staying on the Tarmac along Ipswich Rd is easier down from Cracknell Rd to Beaudesert Rd because it's downhill....

Just ride the footpaths until you're comfortable... Then you'll find the traffic not so daunting and ride on the roads all the time... The only times I jumped to the footpath are times when I feel I am unreasonably slowing the cars and in Qld, we are allowed on footpaths anyway, so no skin off my back to allow traffic to flow as I am not inconvenienced to footpath it occasionally.
Kenzo

Postby rebound101 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:15 pm

thanks guys. yeah kenzo i might've seen a few of your rides mapped on map my rides or somewhere, i distinctively remember them starting at forest street. i don't mind riding in traffic but as i am just starting out and am really unfit (106kg, 180cm) id rather be safe so ill use the footpath and go from there.

thanks again guys!!
rebound101

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:03 am

also pick your commute times. leaving earlier or later, if an option will mean less traffic. I actually think you have 2 better options

1. pacific motorway
2. riverloop.
adding a few kms to your ride, though difficult at the start, will make it much safer
cheers
jasonc

Postby molly » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:02 pm

^^ I agree with the above, I'd be definitely cutting back roads to the pacific motorway bikeway - easy cruise to the city or cutting across and jumping on the riverloop. I think staying away from ipswich/annerley roads in the interests of safety would be a good option (though I have never ridden them).
molly

Return to Commuting