Winter Riding requirements

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Winter Riding requirements

Postby gretaboy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:47 am

I plan to ride/commute through winter..will be my first winter effort.

I am going to get myself a good rain jacket and some full fingered gloves to try and ease the cold issues. Have searched threads on this forum site and have seen what others recommend for a wet weather jacket, so I think I have got that covered.

Gloves tho...is there a good glove out there that covers both wet weather issues and warmth issues without being too bulky??

I will also be ensuring I am lit up like a christmas tree for those dark times.

Any other factors or issues that I should think about for winter commuting? Any and all recommendations would be most appreciated.
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

by BNA » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:51 am

BNA
 

Re: Winter Riding requirements

Postby cp123 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:51 am

there was a thread about winter gloves here yesterday. Have a practice on the search button up the top of your screen and use gloves/winter/etc the answers you get now probably aren't any different to the answers on the other threads. :D
cp123
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Winter Riding requirements

Postby gretaboy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:57 am

cp123 wrote:there was a thread about winter gloves here yesterday. Have a practice on the search button up the top of your screen and use gloves/winter/etc the answers you get now probably aren't any different to the answers on the other threads. :D


yeah I didnt do a search on winter gloves to be honest..didnt see the thread either..will do some more searching..cheers

##EDIT: Found yesterdays post, but no one is actually stating which brand of glove, just simply long gloves. I am more after the brand/type as a recommendation. Rather purchase something that people have used and ar happy with than buy something that wont do the job but is advertised as such.
Last edited by gretaboy on Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: Winter Riding requirements

Postby gururug » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:22 am

gretaboy wrote:Gloves tho...is there a good glove out there that covers both wet weather issues and warmth issues without being too bulky??


Hard to find both, sealskins are close but they seemed a little bulky ( not form fitting ) and lacking in the warmth department.

Getting started is the toughest bit, once you've ridden for 10mins the only other issue is rain or strong wind. Mudguards ( I never used them ) and windproofness are critical here.

A skullcap, up to three layers of kathmandu thermal shirts and a rain/wind jacket seemed to handle most situations. Cap to keep rain from eyes also is good.

A good bag such as Ortleib or BOGear too.
User avatar
gururug
 
Posts: 1499
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:05 pm

Re: Winter Riding requirements

Postby gretaboy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:32 am

gururug wrote:
Hard to find both, sealskins are close but they seemed a little bulky ( not form fitting ) and lacking in the warmth department.
.
.
A good bag such as Ortleib or BOGear too.


Just hopped onto the sealskins site and saw their glove, but it does come across as bulky....guess am going to have to trade one value to get another value....warmth or wet. Guess a wet weather glove that can take the chill off will be good enough. If I go for warmth and then get wet, it will compound the chill factor.

Got a decent bag, Ridgeline, and it has a waterproof cover attached so got that aspect covered.
Image
gretaboy
 
Posts: 1181
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 11:23 am
Location: Hunter Valley

Re: Winter Riding requirements

Postby cp123 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:10 am

How cold does the hunter valley get though? We get to -5 or -6 regularly - and for a few days of winter -7 or -8. I have one good winter pair of gloves and I've had them for over 10 years and my hands are toasty warm with them on. but i can't remember what type they are without digging them out.

I've gotten to work and ice frost has formed on the thumb areas but my hands aren't cold at all. They're still a bit claggy with sweat in the afternoon though so you sometimes have to put your hand into a wet glove, but it worries me all of 2 seconds. Warmth doesn't mean non waterproof.
cp123
 
Posts: 982
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Winter Riding requirements

Postby westab » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:37 pm

gretaboy - for winter I have used two gloves - The first is a glove made by "BASE" that I bought from the LBS. I hadn't seen them before or since but they are realy good (and a bit XXX'y) these have just about worn out. They are thin, warm, and don't induce sweat. They keep your hands the same temp as when you put them in.

The other winter gloves I have are a pair of "Jet Black" winter gloves. Again from the LBS - i do like to try my gloves on prior to use. These are a bit thicker but not too bad. These do make my hands sweat if it is not cold so often I only use them in the morning and a simple set of full finger mountain bike gloves for the way home in the afternoon. I also have a pair of "winter gloves" bought from adli - they are not good but I use them when it is raining.

The other clothing I use depends on the temp. It is a combination of thermal base layer, long cycling tights (feece lined),singlet, beenie, t shirts, long sleeve cycling shirt, low cost jacket from cell bikes (I have two one of them a freeby thanks cell), and my rain jacket (keeps the wind out).

Most of the time in july what I wear is beanie, riding jacket, long sleeve riding shirt, singlet, long riding pants, gloves. Most days are just one side or the other of zero.

Hope this helps.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab
 
Posts: 1296
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:05 pm
Location: Blacktown, NSW

Re: Winter Riding requirements

Postby MattyK » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:19 am

Gloves

Rain proof jacket. Depending on the weather, it doesn't have to be warm, just layer up underneath.

Leg warmers for cold days

skull cap for the really cold days

mudguards for the wet.

headlights. Two of them. The big ones. (two independent lights for redundancy in case one fails)

taillights. Two of them, as above.

reflective gear, wheel reflectors, etc

puncture proof tyres

Clear lens glasses

SPD pedals (wet shoes slip on flat pedals)

waterproof panniers if you carry stuff
MattyK
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:07 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Winter Riding requirements

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:21 pm

gretaboy wrote:
gururug wrote:
Hard to find both, sealskins are close but they seemed a little bulky ( not form fitting ) and lacking in the warmth department.
.
.
A good bag such as Ortleib or BOGear too.


Just hopped onto the sealskins site and saw their glove, but it does come across as bulky....guess am going to have to trade one value to get another value....warmth or wet. Guess a wet weather glove that can take the chill off will be good enough. If I go for warmth and then get wet, it will compound the chill factor.

Got a decent bag, Ridgeline, and it has a waterproof cover attached so got that aspect covered.


I use the Sealskinz gloves in winter and I do not find them bulky at all. They have a nice snug fit, and do exactly as they say. They are waterproof, but you will sweat inside them of course. IN winter that hardly matters, as you want to keep warm rather than dry. Same with my winter rainjacket. It will keep out ice cold water, but you'll be warm and sweaty!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 2750
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Winter Riding requirements

Postby TCAT » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:52 pm

When I lived in Canberra I used to commute through winter. The thought of riding was worse than actually riding. Although the first 5-10 minutes could be nasty on the face and ears. I realise the Hunter will not be as cold as Canberra but I assume you do get frost.

I was a snow skier and would ride with ski cloths like balaclava, thermal long sleeve singlet, down coat, ski gloves and even ski pants sometimes. Although most times I would use 2 track pants rather than the ski pants and remove one of them as I warmed up. I could unzip the coat to let cooler air in if required. I never had any problems changing gears or using brake levers with the ski gloves. They were made with gore-tex so were waterproof also.

I didn't ride in the rain so can't give advice on that.
User avatar
TCAT
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:30 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Winter Riding requirements

Postby waramatt » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:29 pm

gretaboy wrote:I plan to ride/commute through winter..will be my first winter effort.

I am going to get myself a good rain jacket and some full fingered gloves to try and ease the cold issues. Have searched threads on this forum site and have seen what others recommend for a wet weather jacket, so I think I have got that covered.

Gloves tho...is there a good glove out there that covers both wet weather issues and warmth issues without being too bulky??

I will also be ensuring I am lit up like a christmas tree for those dark times.

Any other factors or issues that I should think about for winter commuting? Any and all recommendations would be most appreciated.


Hey Gretaboy we're not far from each other, cycling in similar conditions, though I daresay your mornings will be colder than mine nearer the coast. A few tips:
1. Get a good under helmet cap - good for headache prevention. Something like this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gore-bike-wear- ... elmet-cap/
2. Good long fingered gloves. I go for warmth over water protection.
3. Long sleeve compression top to wear under a long sleeve jersey or jacket.
4. Long sleeve jersey or jacket.
5. Most important (for me) - neoprene shoe covers - not just the toe covers. Only important if you are bothered by pins & needles & lack of sensation in toes (I am)
Image

Giant TCR Adv 0 Di2
SE Draft Lite SS
Felt Dispatch SS
Surly Cross Check CX
Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race.
H G Wells
User avatar
waramatt
 
Posts: 346
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:52 pm
Location: Newcastle


Return to Commuting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU



InTouch with BNA
“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter