Motor vehicles on M2 alternative cycleway.

am50em

Motor vehicles on M2 alternative cycleway.

Postby am50em » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:07 pm

Hello,

I commute down Beecroft Rd (Sydney) and then turn off onto the cycleway just past the M2 interchange.
Last week I was surprised to find that a motor cyclist was following me up through the railway underpass
and then shocked a couple of days later when a car followed me!
Unfortunately did not get the rego details but I have contacted M2upgrade people to see if they can
get the barricades put back in place to stop this illegal and dangerous development.

For now - be careful heading down into the tunnel in the morning.

lethoso

Re: Motor vehicles on M2 alternative cycleway.

Postby lethoso » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:18 pm

There was a cyclepath installed near my work recently, which happened to add a nice little shortcut into an otherwise inaccessible backstreet for cars wanting to avoid a main road which backs up pretty badly. I saw a few cars on it, and one of my workmates did too, we both whinged to the council about it and they bollarded it up, no issues since :D

There's also a bridge to the local uni that's cycling/walking/buses only (three separate partitions) where I've seen motorbikes zooming down the cycle bit a few times - not much that can be done about them I guess, other than report it to the cops if it's a regular occurrence at similar times.

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:28 pm

I haven't been commuting on the bike much lately and haven't ever seen motorvehicle go through there. A mate that rides the route more than me has seen a couple recently though. Stupid people are stupid.
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

am50em

Postby am50em » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:42 pm

Well that was reasonably quick. The barriers are repositioned and though they may have been a bit over zealous with their positioning, no car is going to get through!

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Believe it or not, but on another forum, someone reported a police car coming up through the tunnel from beecroft road this week! Total madness as it is a totally blind corner for people coming down the hill from Epping.

I only use this tunnel when my usual route is flooded, which has been more than a few times with all the rain we've been having in Sydney. I use the other tunnel under the M2, from Derby St to Sutherland Rd, and I have also followed motorcycles and scooters through that tunnel.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:51 pm

I received an email from the M2 upgrade people
We inspected the site after your report and found that the water filled barriers were moved or fell over which
has now been rectified. We have asked one of our traffic management engineers to regularly visit the area to
ensure barriers are still in place. However, if you witness any other acts of vandalism or have concerns please let our team know.
So hopefully the problem has been solved.

Oldbikerider

Postby Oldbikerider » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:28 am

am50em wrote:I received an email from the M2 upgrade people
We inspected the site after your report and found that the water filled barriers were moved or fell over which
has now been rectified. We have asked one of our traffic management engineers to regularly visit the area to
ensure barriers are still in place. However, if you witness any other acts of vandalism or have concerns please let our team know.
It would appear that the problem has not been solved, as the two key water barriers blocking vehicular entrance are only about 1/8 full and can easily be moved by hand or foot. And anyway, they are placed such that a car can fit between them and through the "barrier". Clearly, there is no serious attempt to restrict vehicle access, and consequently little regard for cyclist's safety.

Oldbikerider

uncle arthur

Postby uncle arthur » Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:37 am

Oldbikerider wrote:
am50em wrote:I received an email from the M2 upgrade people
It would appear that the problem has not been solved, as the two key water barriers blocking vehicular entrance are only about 1/8 full and can easily be moved by hand or foot. And anyway, they are placed such that a car can fit between them and through the "barrier". Clearly, there is no serious attempt to restrict vehicle access, and consequently little regard for cyclist's safety.

Oldbikerider
So here's the solution. Go and move them together by hand, if they are indeed light enough to do so. Then pour a couple of bags of quick mix post hole cement into each one. They'll be harder to move then ;)
What is it with cycling? 30+ kmh and lycra???!!!