DRAFTING

clackers

Re: DRAFTING

Postby clackers » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:36 pm

The closer, the 'better', WW. 12 inches behind and three inches to the side of the wheel in front is one recommendation.
Last edited by clackers on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wurtulla wabbit

Postby wurtulla wabbit » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:11 pm

That's a bit close for me:D, I'd stack it !

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:27 pm

clackers wrote:The closer, the 'better', WW. 12 inches behind and three inches to the side of the wheel in front is one recommendation.
I guess that's for peletons and group rides with experienced riders using signals etc. but for day to day being half a length to a full length behind does stil give an advantage.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:18 pm

bychosis wrote:
clackers wrote:The closer, the 'better', WW. 12 inches behind and three inches to the side of the wheel in front is one recommendation.
I guess that's for peletons and group rides with experienced riders using signals etc. but for day to day being half a length to a full length behind does stil give an advantage.
Yep, but it's not as good, and you don't help the rider in front by filling up the air vortex behind him as well.

Triathlons actually define drafting as being within three bike lengths unless overtaking.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:58 pm

clackers wrote:
bychosis wrote:
Yep, but it's not as good, and you don't help the rider in front by filling up the air vortex behind him as well.

Triathlons actually define drafting as being within three bike lengths unless overtaking.
Maybe not as effective, but definitely safer when working with someone you don't know.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

clackers

Postby clackers » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:56 pm

bychosis wrote:
Maybe not as effective, but definitely safer when working with someone you don't know.
And surely drafting is best as a consensual activity between adults! :)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:07 pm

One viewpoint on drafting

It is certainly the case that these guys are drafting a lot closer than 1 metre :shock: Less than 20cms is not uncommon for practiced riding mates. I've often ridden this close in headwinds on country road cycle tours - a couple of full panniers make for even more drafting power :wink:

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:24 pm

il padrone wrote:One viewpoint on drafting
That's all very well but doesn't help much with that annoying breed of urban cyclist who, having been overtaken on the open road then edge in front at a red light and/or set off before the signal changes.
If you're a light jumper, I reckon, then being drafted is the comeback.
That happened to me on Monday. Going thru the city this guy was going a bit slow so I took off to try and beat the lights. No dice, on three occasions I kept getting stopped by the lights, and each time he went in front of me at the lights. On the last occasion he jumped the lights, so after waiting for the lights to go green I chased him down and sat on his tale for the next 5km's :mrgreen:

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:54 pm

Kenzo wrote:When I pass a rider I expect they *will* be drafting me... and will check to see if they are on or not. Hopefully they stay long enough for a turn, if not then no probs either. It caused me no extra effort to have him/her/them on my tail.
Hear, hear. And etiquette be damned - if you are behind someone in commuting traffic it is your responsibility not to run up the arse of the person in front.

We can rant and rave all we like about what, when and how people should communicate on bikes but the sad reality is that you're lucky to get any indication of intent from other path users.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ