Commute routes Leichardt to Parramatta

Chris249

Commute routes Leichardt to Parramatta

Postby Chris249 » Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 pm

Hi all

I'm starting a new job on Monday, in the middle of the Parra CBD. I've never ridden to there since I moved to Leichhardt, and when I lived at Lane Cove it was a pig of a ride.

Can anyone recommend a good route or routes? Ideally I would be able to divert to the area around Concord Repat Hospital at times to get some CX practise along the riverbank.

Ta
Last edited by Chris249 on Thu May 31, 2012 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

duncanm

Re: Commute routes Leichardt to Sydney

Postby duncanm » Thu May 31, 2012 9:33 pm

I presume you meant Leichhardt to Parramatta from your text.. not Sydney.

Here's where I used to go when living in Parramatta and commuting to Balmain... on South side of Parra.

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Pa ... in-commute

You can also cross over the river at Silverwater Bridge and come in from the North if you prefer (eg: getting from the South side to the Parra CBD is a bit messy, although I guess you could go through Harris Park).

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/No ... to-Rozelle

I did the first for many years and pretty much had it perfected. The route through Concord West and Nth Strathfield avoids all the major arteries and the major rat runs.

SOP probably gives you a bunch of CX options to play with

wombatK

Re: Commute routes Leichardt to Sydney

Postby wombatK » Thu May 31, 2012 9:50 pm

Should be a pretty easy and safe commute. Assuming you can get to Lilyfield Rd easily, head around Iron Cove Bay, and
follow the on-road cycleway towards Five Dock. While the main RTA cycleway route to Olympic Park goes via Queen St,
a more comfortable option is to head a bit further north up to Barnstaple Rd, then across Great Northern rd to Henry St,
and west to around Canada Bay (via Lyons Rd West) to Majors Bay Rd.

Then find your way over to Rhodes - there's a good little option someone posted a route for recently
showing how to get to a shared pathway that runs between Rhodes shopping center and the railway from Harrison
Ave (don't think it went by concord hospital).

Once past Rhodes shops, head across Parramatta River at Meadowbank, then basically follow
the Parramatta River cycleway along its northern bank until you reach the Gasworks Bridge. There's an
on-road stretch along south st Rydalmere, but it's not too hectic most of the time. If you get bored
with it, you could vary it by sometimes riding around SOP on the south side of Parramatta River
up to Silverwater Rd.

Choices from the Gasworks bridge depend on what part of the CBD you're heading for, but
aren't hard to figure out.

Should be a pretty enjoyable ride - trust the new job goes well too !

Cheers

Cheers
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

Chris249

Re: Commute routes Leichardt to Parramatta

Postby Chris249 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks guys, great info.

Due to the weather and the normal settling in period, I have yet to do the full commute.I ended up on the train yesterday after riding to and from the station, only to lose a rd idler wheel in the rain on the way home. Today I ended up parking a couple of ks from Parra and riding in the last little bit - lovely ride along the water.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road