commute route help

taipan821

commute route help

Postby taipan821 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Hello

I'm new to the forum so if this is in the wrong section could it be moved to the relevant section.

I live in Townsville and have decide to try commuting via bike to save costs.
I currently drive to uni, but i would like to take the same route as it is flat and quick.

however it involves going through extremely busy intersections and roundabouts. my other option is to take the footpath and go around these issues.

my question: is it 'wrong' to take the footpath and go around the intersection when there are bike lanes?

your responses will be greatly appreciated.

Reman

Re: commute route help

Postby Reman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:48 am

People regularly cycle on the footpath next to Wattle St between Parramatta Rd and Timbrell Park heading into the city (Sydney) from the Inner West, I've adjusted my route by going through Haberfield to avoid it altogether.

They ride on the footpath because it is 3 lanes going to 2, high levels of traffic, zero shoulder and it's probably where car commute tempers max out. I rode the road twice and twice I was narrowly missed as cars tried to overtake without leaving their lanes.

So in this instance the reason why people use the footpath is a desire to stay alive, I'm sure a cop standing and fining them all would make no difference as they would prefer to be alive and not dead.

All of that is a long-winded way of saying that sometimes I think it's fine to use the footpath, even when it's illegal.

However, you live in Queensland where it's legal to ride on the footpath. So go for it! :P

taipan821

Postby taipan821 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:34 pm

Thanks Reman for the advice.

JustJames

Postby JustJames » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Another Sydneysider with a footpath vote.

For the last 2 months or so I've been doing a once a week commute between Chatswood and Dee Why. Weight of fast moving traffic and a desire to continue breathing meant that I use the footpath for almost the whole journey. As luck would have it, the first time I commuted by scoot I went past a motorcycle cop who had parked his bike on the footpath and was doing some traffic monitoring. I rode right past him without so much as a second glance, despite footpath cycling being illegal in NSW.

Unless I start riding like a f$#kwit I don't expect to be told off by the Long Arm.
My bike blog. Long on rumination, rambling and opinion. Why let facts ruin everything?

http://pedallingcharm.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;