Honourable reasons thread

Lizzy

Re: Honourable reasons thread

Postby Lizzy » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:37 pm

Still not dead! Honourable reasons lately:

1 - 2 weeks in Sardinia for a wedding
2 - Closely followed by family member seriously ill in hospital for 5 weeks and counting
3 - And now: Chicken pox FOR THE LOVE OF ... ugh

It's been about all I can do to maintain one foot in front of the other. Have trundled to/from the station a few times since you last saw me but that's about it.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:38 pm

My wife has found some part time work so now I've got to drop the kids at school, so cycle commuting is off the cards for now :(

The plan is though that once we're in a smooth routine and the weather warms up in the mornings, I'll ride with them to work (with their bags in a pannier rack - ugh) and then head off from there. Driving every day sucks!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:00 pm

Honourable but ridiculous: Index finger got mauled by a galah I was trying to rescue from the roadside due to being a well-meaning fool :oops:

No prospect of it surviving but it certainly went down fighting. Not sure which of us lost more blood. Had to pry it off - still strapped up & second knuckle too swollen to grab a brake lever
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:46 am

Lizzy wrote:Honourable but ridiculous: Index finger got mauled by a galah I was trying to rescue from the roadside due to being a well-meaning fool :oops:

No prospect of it surviving but it certainly went down fighting. Not sure which of us lost more blood. Had to pry it off - still strapped up & second knuckle too swollen to grab a brake lever
:shock: Proving no good deed goes unpunished. Poor little thing...and your poor finger!

I have discovered that getting hit by a car is not much fun. I'm hoping to get back on the bike within another week, but my left calf is still bruised, swollen and sore and feels like it would cramp easily if I tried pedalling too much.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:30 pm

Did a mountain climb (Mt Gower on Lord Howe Is) last Friday. Compounded the pain with a big walk/climb the following day.

Legs (quads to be specific) are absolutely cactus and I have NEVER been this sore before.

Off the bike for a couple of days.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:48 pm

Weather has been terrible- no commuting in that.

Trying to do trainer rides to make up for it. I seem to have done that properly today, I have very sore legs right now.

I hope to ride tomorrow if the weather is okay, but it'll be at a slow rate I think.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:52 am

Time to bump this: I consider a 45 C forecast a good enough excuse to take the train instead of bike to work! No point when there is health risk being out in the heat too long.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:29 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Time to bump this: I consider a 45 C forecast a good enough excuse to take the train instead of bike to work! No point when there is health risk being out in the heat too long.
I'm lucky enough that it's only 3.8km home (unless I choose to ride further).

Getting a bit hot and sweaty on the bike is better than on the tram and walkimng 1km or so on top of that.

But am getting sick of the heat here. By the end of the month, over 20 days will have been over 30 degrees.

Overnight low was 31.5 here :|

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:44 pm

MichaelB wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:Time to bump this: I consider a 45 C forecast a good enough excuse to take the train instead of bike to work! No point when there is health risk being out in the heat too long.
I'm lucky enough that it's only 3.8km home (unless I choose to ride further).

Getting a bit hot and sweaty on the bike is better than on the tram and walkimng 1km or so on top of that.
Yeah that's getting near the break even point where you'd perhaps spend less time in the heat if you ride. Especially factoring in time waiting for the tram.

With the train I depart from Adelaide, so hopefully I will walk in and get straight on an air conditioned train, even if I arrive early. (Thought I'm sure the air-con will struggle a bit today).