Honourable reasons thread

Lizzy

Re: Honourable reasons thread

Postby Lizzy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:21 pm

Interstate travel to help arrange a funeral. (A merciful end to an amazing long life, so all's well with the world. ..). But blimey, what a mission [emoji46]
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Dropbear20

Postby Dropbear20 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:26 pm

I took 8 weeks off because I hit a car. 6 weeks because the hospital, doctors and physio said no riding. 2 more because I hadn't built up the courage to get back out there and I needed to get the bike checked out. Yes, N+1 means I have another bike to ride, but it was a mental thing that I am happy to say has been resolved in the last week.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:43 pm

awesome work Dropbear. the first couple of rides after a crash are the hardest

BorisBC

Postby BorisBC » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:20 pm

3 months for me thanks to an Achilles tendon tear. 2 months off the bike, then another month trying to build up enough strength to do the 18km (each way) commute. Can manage about one ride a week but its taking bloody forever to get the strength back in the leg. Still one day a week is one day better than being in a car!

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:20 pm

Hit the side of a ute on the way into work yesterday morning at 20-odd kph (only 3rd or 4th time I've ridden through the CBD instead of on bike trails). Can't decide whether to stay off the roads until I'm more confident again or get back on the bike (pun probably intended).

I was lucky to get away with a couple of bruised ribs and very bruised pride. The former is easily dealt with, the latter might take a bit longer.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:29 am

That sucks Pommy. If you're going to Docklands each morning, maybe stick to the CCT. Or on-road, maybe down Canning, across Faraday, down Swanston the Queensberry/Arden?

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:13 am

fat and old wrote:That sucks Pommy. If you're going to Docklands each morning, maybe stick to the CCT. Or on-road, maybe down Canning, across Faraday, down Swanston the Queensberry/Arden?
I was going on the CCT then tried Rathdowne and LaTrobe one morning - about 3/4 or the way down the ute driver decided to turn into one of the lanes off LaTrobe then stop across the bike path. Thinking of going back to the CCT anyway - it's an extra couple of Ks and I could well and truly do with the exercise.

Speaking of which, I'd better be off to see what awaits me this morning...

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon May 04, 2015 6:08 am

Went to see my usual GP on the weekend (as opposed to the 24/7, bulk billing, drug dispenser I saw last Monday. Got sent for chest x-ray with suspected broken rib. Nothing broken, but was told to take enough pain killers that my chest doesn't hurt or I don't care that it does.

On a pain scale of 1-10, coughing currently incurs a score of "natural childbirth". Looks like I'm off to the train again today :(

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon May 04, 2015 6:48 am

Ouch WP, I have bruised rib cartilage a few times & as you can now attest it is every bit as painful as a broken rib, if not as dangerous.

On the plus side, it only hurts while you breathe.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon May 04, 2015 6:54 am

find_bruce wrote:Ouch WP, I have bruised rib cartilage a few times & as you can now attest it is every bit as painful as a broken rib, if not as dangerous.

On the plus side, it only hurts while you breathe.
Yep, my dear wife's suggestion was to "stop doing whatever makes it hurt, if that's breathing, then stop breathing. It's ok, I've checked that your life insurance is up to date"

Perfect timing for it to happen in this fine weather we're having in Melbourne this time of year. At this rate, suspect I'll be posting here next week writing that I can't ride my bike as I have a chest infection.

shaky

Postby shaky » Mon May 04, 2015 7:08 am

Had pleurisy many years ago so can relate to your 'it only hurts when I breathe' predicament. Id suggest you get plenty of sleep too. Do not allow yourself to be tired and at risk of yawning!! And definitely don't sneeze.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon May 04, 2015 12:53 pm

Went boat racing on Sunday, things got a bit sideways and I did the splits in the cabin as a result.

I have not been able to do the splits since I was 7.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Fri May 08, 2015 7:04 pm

I didn't commute today for one of the best reasons - "New Bike Day" :D

Finally bought myself a Vivente World Ranonneur Deccan and spent a very pleasant day riding around getting a feel for it and making a few tweaks. I think the relaxed geometry may be the silver bullet I've been looking for re my dodgy hip (apart from the obvious replacement surgery) so hopefully Audax rides will be back on the agenda. Happy days indeed.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon May 11, 2015 8:46 am

Thanks to Mr 4 and one (or possibly all) of his fellow kinder pupils. I've picked up manflu but can't cough properly as sneezing has set off the rib cartilage that was repairing nicely and now have a chest infection.

If SWMBO holds the last couple of weeks against me when I claim a new bike under our "ride to work come hail or shine for 6 months" deal, I'm filing for divorce!

bigtbafe

Postby bigtbafe » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:01 pm

Dunno if it counts as honourable, but I've been getting flats many times a week and had no idea why, so I fixed that, but that's why I stopped commuting for a good week or so (was sick of walking with my bike home or to work).

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:21 am

Daddy daycare again today so no commuting darn it. Oxonabie is going to be hard to catch at this rate

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:Daddy daycare again today so no commuting darn it. Oxonabie is going to be hard to catch at this rate
That's no excuse. Buy a seat, stick it on the back of your bike, find a big hill and pedal down it as fast as you dare*.

Cheers

WP

* I've heard that people do this. I'm far too grown up and sensible to do this. I hate to hear cries of "faster daddy! faster!" coming from behind me...

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:04 pm

find_bruce wrote:Daddy daycare again today so no commuting darn it. Oxonabie is going to be hard to catch at this rate
I have my share of commitments coming up that will preclude commuting, so it will keep things intersting. Although your post does please me!

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:00 pm

WhingingPom wrote:That's no excuse. Buy a seat, stick it on the back of your bike, find a big hill and pedal down it as fast as you dare*.

Cheers

WP

* I've heard that people do this. I'm far too grown up and sensible to do this. I hate to hear cries of "faster daddy! faster!" coming from behind me...
What do you mean buy a seat - my little man rides in luxury
He can pedal, he chooses to mainly do so when going downhill.
oxonabike wrote:I have my share of commitments coming up that will preclude commuting, so it will keep things intersting. Although your post does please me!
Happy to help & glad to hear I still have some chance

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:38 pm

I'm a bum.

Being honest is honourable, yeah? :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:00 pm

fat and old wrote:I'm a bum.

Being honest is honourable, yeah? :lol:
honest is an excuses thread post :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:15 pm

Not working ATM :mrgreen:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Sick and miserable :-(
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:43 pm

isabella24 wrote:Sick and miserable :-(
get well soon!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:02 am

a day off with my little girl is honourable I reckon