Singlespeed!

rkelsen

Singlespeed!

Postby rkelsen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:32 am

So my rear wheel recently went out of true. Thought it'd be a simple fix... Tweak a few spoke nipples and job done... Until I discovered the reason(s) for its wobbliness: Cracks in the rim at either side of many of the spoke holes.

What to do? I didn't want to ride it, because it would be a disaster waiting to happen. This wheel had an IGH, so there are no derailleurs on the bike.

I swapped in a spare road wheel, with a single sprocket from an old cassette (with some spacers as "packing") to make a home brew single speed.

... And I love it! I don't know why I waited so long to try single speed commuting. There are a few hills, and some grunting required, but it's great!

48/17 in case anyone wants to know... 8)

ldrcycles

Re: Singlespeed!

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:15 pm

My single speed is my favourite bike by a long way, on geared bikes i tend to push too fast and blow up, then crawl for a bit til i recover and repeat. With the singlespeed i simply can't go too fast on the flat or downhills so it forces me to ride more consistently, the result being faster times. And the feeling when i'm on top of the gear is absolute bliss.

EDIT: running 46/16 but as i get stronger i wouldn't mind nudging that up a little, maybe 48/16. The current gear is good for up to 45 without too much pain, i've hit 60 but that is spinning REALLY fast!
Last edited by ldrcycles on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:43 pm

~74.5 gear inches, nice until the big hills come along :wink:
Now try it fixed! I'm a recent convert and that bike has become the go to option for the unplanned, "just going for a quick ride dear" sessions. It's done wonders for my action, most of the corners have been knocked off the squares I often pedal. Surprisingly, my dodgy knees seem to be enjoying it too :?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:15 pm

The last 3.5km at the home end are at an average of 4%. Not that big, but I sure felt it this afternoon!

Dunno about fixed. I like to coast sometimes... But who knows? I could be back here saying the same thing about fixed gear in a couple of years... :lol: