6-10ks
28%
10-15ks
60%

Total votes: 201
beauyboy

lengh of commute

Postby beauyboy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:10 pm

after reading an artical that about the transport crisis. The writer says even thou he did one day he would not commute ever day. Mind you he only rode as a test he normally drives a car. So it is far to say he is unfit!!!!

So how long is your commute

PS. mine is 7ks each way

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:14 pm

the was a 15 plus option but it must of deleted, sorry guys
BCC give us some more bikeways fore safe travel!!!!
Upgrade the NCL now QR!!!!!!
http://nakedcyclistbrissy.blogspot.com/
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:26 pm

I don't commute but I would really love to, but the main problem is I'd have to ride about 40km each way.... :(

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:27 pm

Got a link to the article?

I've seen a few over the years where some reporter who vaguely remembers how to ride a bike decides to 'investigate' commuting. Of course, he finds it's hard work (because he's riding a crap bike and he's not cycling fit if fit at all), it's hard to carry the crap he wants to (because he hasn't got the right gear), it's scary (because he hasn't ridden in traffic for years and doesn't know how to), the routes are dangerous (because he doesn't know how to search out safe routes) and then concludes that it can be done but a smart person wouldn't (though they never actually say that). Smart people take the time to get fit, learn the game, research the routes and have the right gear ... but we're talking reporters aren't we.

I'm afraid I can't add to your poll ... but once some kind soul gives me a job to commute to, I'll be pleased to make an entry.

Richard

europa

Postby europa » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:35 pm

sbra9635 wrote:I don't commute but I would really love to, but the main problem is I'd have to ride about 40km each way.... :(
Drive half way and ride the rest.
Ride in one day, bus home. Bus in the next and ride home.

I've known blokes who've done both.

Richard

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:12 pm

No mate the scary bit is that this guy hired a racer for the test and could barly average over 10kmph on a dedicated bikeway. I have riden on half the length of the bikeway he rode cos it was not open yet and I was easily averaging 20kmph over it and i have a hybrid.

Beauyboy
My views do not represent any organisation I may be apart of unless otherwise stated

europa

Postby europa » Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:32 pm

Perhaps he was having trouble carrying the Espresso machine in his backpack :?

Richard

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:28 pm

europa wrote:
sbra9635 wrote:I don't commute but I would really love to, but the main problem is I'd have to ride about 40km each way.... :(
Drive half way and ride the rest.
Ride in one day, bus home. Bus in the next and ride home.

I've known blokes who've done both.

Richard
Actually, I've never thought about driving half way, thats a good idea. I probably won't do it until I get a faster bike than my mtb.

I was looking at getting a road bike. Whats the best way to carry a lot of stuff on a road bike, and also if you have stuff like work clothes that you don't want to get creased?

europa

Postby europa » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:58 pm

Panniers. Fit a rack and buy a good pair of panniers - you can carry a lot more, you're more likely to keep everything dry, easier to pack so things don't get creased and, most importantly, you don't have to wear a backpack.

I hate backpacks. On the other hand, mikesbytes has a sizeable commute, has had panniers and now wears a backpack. If you don't have panniers now, use a backpack until it annoys you enough to spend the money on a rack and a good set of panniers.

Richard

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:11 pm

Distance varies depending upon where I'm working. Minimum 10k Maximum 22k each way. Regardless of route, there's only a couple of k's that are flat, the rest is hills.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:12 pm

europa wrote:Panniers. Fit a rack and buy a good pair of panniers - you can carry a lot more, you're more likely to keep everything dry, easier to pack so things don't get creased and, most importantly, you don't have to wear a backpack.

I hate backpacks. On the other hand, mikesbytes has a sizeable commute, has had panniers and now wears a backpack. If you don't have panniers now, use a backpack until it annoys you enough to spend the money on a rack and a good set of panniers.

Richard
I would still most likely need a backpack just because I'll still be at uni for another 1.5 yrs (hopefully, depending on this semesters exams) and I'll need to carry my notes around uni, but my camelbak is perfect for that. It'll be a while before I even have the bike, but does anyone have a link or two so I can look at panniers and racks just to get an idea of what to look at.

Tastic

Postby Tastic » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:10 am

How about another couple of options, because I do 16km each way.

- 15-20km
- 20km or more

:D

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:50 am

I met a school teacher who does about 35km each way.

I do a similar distance, but in my car. :P

Louie

Postby Louie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:06 am

My commute is only about 3 kms but I take the long way to make it more interesting / challenging / better exercise and end up doubling that, so really about 6kms each way. I ride every day unless I have an early or late meeting and riding is not practical. Fortunatley I have a relaxed dress code for work, jeans and t-shirt is fine! so don't need to worry about crushed clothes.

Also a note for any women out there: don't worry about 'hat hair'. Get over it. Enjoy riding. 'Hat hair' is a stupid excuse for not getting on yer bike.

glawrence2000

Postby glawrence2000 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:45 am

My exact ride (one way) is 5.85 km according to my trusty trip computer.
I can achieve this in around 15 minutes (best time to date 14.07) door to door, worst case around 13 hours when I forgot to turn the stopwatch off and didn't notice until the next morning.
This is on a hybrid wearing a back pack (me not the bike) Mondays I generally drive and bring my suites, shirts, shoes, towels etc in for the week and really enjoy the exercise and competing with myself on the rides both ways.
Satisfying to go faster than the cars on the ANZAC bridge too. It does help to have a shower at work, there are three of us in a team of 12 who ride nearly everyday. We all love it.
Ride time has gone bad lately (see my post on Seat height to Pedal Set-up) around 17 to 18 minutes one way.
Thanks heaps.
BMC 4Stroke 03. (web nazis won't let me put a third picture up :()
Voodoo Dambala 29er.
FELT AR4 Carbon.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:34 pm

There are some insane commutes out there.

Sorry, don't know actual distance, so Sydney-ites will understand and it won't make much sense to others;
Liverpool to Chatswood. Met the bloke, but he does work in a bike shop.
Sutherland to St Leonards. Female.

And Leovis, is your commute 50k return or 50k each way ?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

bleedin kneecaps

commute distance

Postby bleedin kneecaps » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:16 pm

I did not post a vote as my daily commute is 17kms each way.

leojvs

Postby leojvs » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:59 pm

mikesbytes wrote: And Leovis, is your commute 50k return or 50k each way ?
'''ken oath! 50 k each way :twisted: It was taking its toll on me, so I drive to the station, and now ride the 27 remaining kays each way. near 3.5 hour on a bike, + 10 hours of work, in a labour type job = tired boy.
Now im all smiles. Cept tonight. Im a little cranky. Only got 5 hours sleep.....

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:03 pm

I don't commute. :shock: I tour instead, but when I was commuting it was 17 km/s

ShanDog

Postby ShanDog » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:18 pm

bicyclewa wrote:I don't commute. :shock: I tour instead, but when I was commuting it was 17 km/s
17kilometres per second? wow... thats impressive :?

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:23 pm

I knew if I put the slash in km/s someone would pick on it. I was going to put kmh/s to confuse it a bit more.

I might just start using mph in future, at least I know the correct abbreviations.

leojvs

Postby leojvs » Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:00 pm

hell, use mm per nanosecond!!!!!

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby heavymetal » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:16 am

leojvs wrote:hell, use mm per nanosecond!!!!!
My speedo doesn't measure in that :(

I might just use warp speed as a measurement now. Warp 1 being slow and Warp 10 being fast. :D

beauyboy

Postby beauyboy » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:19 pm

Oh last week on friday i decided to go for a ride to see how long it would take for me to do the same ride this reporter did. I went from the Goodwill bridge out to the end of the bikeway at Jamboree heights which i think is as close as i could get to work where he cam from. Well it took me 45 mins on the out bound including a rest stop to check directions and 40mins back on the inbound. It is a good bikeway, nice, fast, and wide. basicly this guy must of been crawling

Donald

europa

Postby europa » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:39 pm

Now now, we don't people to accuse you of being cynical :?

Richard