6-10ks
28%
10-15ks
60%

Total votes: 201
RideLikeTheWind

Re: lengh of commute

Postby RideLikeTheWind » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:36 pm

I ride Penrith to Burwood via the M4, then Parramatta Road to James Ruse Drive and back onto the M4 to Parramatta Road. All up, it's 43km. The fastest ride I have done is 1hr 12m, but the average is 1hr 15m.

The ride is pretty easy though, almost no hills above 3% and the shoulder is pretty wide. I know people think I am crazy for riding on the M4, but to be honest I find it better than many other roads in the area.

Happy spinning!

SquareWheels

Postby SquareWheels » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:48 pm

I ride 23 km from Spearwood WA, to Bentley WA. About 2/3rds of it on the kwinana freeway PSP. The start is hills..uggh and I can usually get along at around 26km/h but today almost killed me for some reason (may have been the excessively heavy backpack full of cloths for work) and only managed to 21.7km/h. I was pretty disappointed with that. I like the ride but really detest the fact that the morning is always a headwind and in the afternoon it has swung nicely around and is.....a headwind.

oh well there is still the trip home this afternoon

hugh stone

Postby hugh stone » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:05 am

Toongabbie to Sydney CBD 34.5 kms bit under 1.5hrs

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:35 pm

I catch the train from Upwey to Box Hill and ride to St Kilda Rd or Abbotsford. Bot hare about 18km each way on a mix of road/bike track. On the road alone to Abbotsford it's only 12km - so it's a 50% increase on the path.

Some days I ride the 45-50km (depending on the route). The last 5km are the killer on the way home.

matt_h1

Postby matt_h1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Generally I go up through Marrickville via Livingstone, then cut across back streets to Crystal, run along Parramatta Rd till I hit Pyrmont Bridge Rd, then that takes me over the bridge and into work just on the other side of the harbour :)

pakula

Postby pakula » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:33 pm

26kms each way with hills, or 30kms with one hill.

2 times a week is the minimum goal, will try everyday soon.

Average speed on the bike, 25km/h
Average speed driving in, 24km/h.

B'Ridin

Postby B'Ridin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:22 pm

Started up the commute now the humidity has (kinda) dropped off again, 11km each way and being Darwin its pretty well all flat. Its not far but it almost killed me on the first ride last week! Amazing how quick the body wakes up to it though - might have to try the extended version tonight

kunalraiker

Postby kunalraiker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:30 pm

Maidstone to Melbourne, 13Kms

mnh86

Postby mnh86 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:52 pm

My commute is anywhere between 29kms and 44 kms each way from Kwinana,WA to Fremantle,WA

I can choose either the flatish Kwinana PSP with river views and 3 or 4 hills at the end (44kms) or the 30cm shoulder along Cockburn Rd with ocean views and minimal hills (29 kms).

I like to change it up a bit so it doesn't get boring.

Rex

Postby Rex » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:46 pm

mnh86 wrote:My commute is anywhere between 29kms and 44 kms each way from Kwinana,WA to Fremantle,WA

I can choose either the flatish Kwinana PSP with river views and 3 or 4 hills at the end (44kms) or the 30cm shoulder along Cockburn Rd with ocean views and minimal hills (29 kms).

I like to change it up a bit so it doesn't get boring.
Nice commute. Kwinana to Henderson isn't the safest of routes, although it does have a nice shoulder with a lot of road crap on it.
Have you tried Kwinana PSP to Cockburn then left onto Beeliar straight through to Cockburn Rd? It's a lumpy but fast cross to Cockburn that sees less heavy haulage.

My regular commute is from Piara Waters to Perth CBD. Jandakot Rd then straight up the Kwinana PSP into the city which is 30kms for me.
Once or twice a week I'll do something different like the above straight to Cockburn Rd then through Dalkeith into the CBD or lately I go to Freo via Berrigan/Northlake/Forrest Rd then go up Curtin Ave then into Subiaco for 45km's.

I get very bored of the same route every day.

franjae

Postby franjae » Thu May 09, 2013 8:48 am

SquareWheels wrote:I ride 23 km from Spearwood WA, to Bentley WA. About 2/3rds of it on the kwinana freeway PSP. The start is hills..uggh and I can usually get along at around 26km/h but today almost killed me for some reason (may have been the excessively heavy backpack full of cloths for work) and only managed to 21.7km/h. I was pretty disappointed with that. I like the ride but really detest the fact that the morning is always a headwind and in the afternoon it has swung nicely around and is.....a headwind.

oh well there is still the trip home this afternoon
I hate the wind! The Doctor and his family can go bugger off as far as I'm concerned! GRRRRR! LOL!

jgon286

Postby jgon286 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:11 pm

I've gradually extended the length of my ride over the last year. The longest is 38km each way from Heathcote to Maroubra. When I first started it was from Gymea, then Kirrawee, then Loftus, then Yarrawarrah. So it went from around 25 k's each way to the current length. It takes in the Captain Cook Bridge and Sylvania Waters, the flats of Sans Souci and Ramsgate, QANTAS Drive and Coward Street and Wentworth Drive to Eastgardens. It's a great commute with a bit of everything in it, including 550 m of climbing for the round trip.

With my self-preservation in mind, however, I have ended up jumping on the train to finish off the ride from Loftus to Heathcote. I've seen some close calls as a driver with tired and cranky workers speeding on the inside lanes on the Princes Hwy to worry about what might happen when I'm riding at the same time as these people. This started especially when daylight saving finished and the days started getting darker more quickly. It's only a 5km cheat and I do turn off the Garmin!
Ridley Fenix
'Dale CAADX
Spec Hardrock29er

kx315

Postby kx315 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:19 am

I have just started commuting to work 2-3 times a week Woodvale to Malaga purely for fitness. I mix it up a bit it is 17-20 km each way depending on the route. Not looking forward to the summer months head winds easterly a in the morning south westerly in the afternoon!
2012 Giant Cross City 2
2013 Giant Defy Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0

nez1976

Postby nez1976 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:32 pm

24 kms here from blackburn south to the city in victoria

kb

Postby kb » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:00 pm

17km Blackburn to Melbourne Central here (22,28, 50 or 60 time and weather permitting)

PRKLCD

Postby PRKLCD » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:03 pm

mine is Amaroo to Belconnen ( Canberra ) 13kms completely on direct bike paths. Adv 26kms per hour, I once hit an average of 30kms on my CX bike

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:27 am

I'm still building up the courage/plans to make the ride, but at this stage it will be a 20km trip each way. Heidelberg to Melbourne CBD.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

cowled

Postby cowled » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:16 am

I work from 4 different locations. 1. Home Moorooka = 0km commute. 2. Brisbane CBD = 9km commute, 20min. 3. Kelvin Grove = 12km commute, 30min. 4. Banyo = 22km commute, 45 - 50min.

The Banyo trip is the most dangerous as I have no real alternative other than main roads. However, I have compared my ride vs drive times and I am consistently quicker on the bike because peak hour traffic gets real busy through Fortitude Valley and Woolloongabba.

As long as I'm not sick I tend to ride every day, unless the weather is torrential. Unfortunately, I am currently lying on the couch recovering from a side swipe from a Jeep that left me with a broken leg / hip. At least the fool admitted fault straight up. Prognosis is about 4-6 months before I ride again, but I should have a nice new Cannondale CAAD10 courtesy of numpty's insurer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:23 pm

Hope you're bearing up OK cowled.

My commute is about to go from a leisurely 10km to 29km ... although it is zero lately due to a recalcitrant disc. Expecting I will have to bike>train>bus it until that sorts out and I can get back whatever fitness I had. I confess I have been lurking with intent on the gazelle e-bike website :P
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:53 pm

Lizzy wrote:Hope you're bearing up OK cowled.

My commute is about to go from a leisurely 10km to 29km ... although it is zero lately due to a recalcitrant disc. Expecting I will have to bike>train>bus it until that sorts out and I can get back whatever fitness I had. I confess I have been lurking with intent on the gazelle e-bike website :P
Lizzy, that's a significant increase in commute distance. It will take your body a little while to get used to the extra mileage. I think e-bikes are a great idea. I recall riding home one day and seeing a fellow a few hundred metres ahead of me on what appeared to be a mountain bike. It took ages for me to catch up to the guy and I kept thinking to myself how unfit I must be that I was struggling on a road bike and this fellow was cruising on a MTB with knobblies. And then, I finally caught up to him and realised he had battery assistance. Had to chuckle to myself for turning myself inside out trying to catch the guy.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:07 pm

cowled wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Hope you're bearing up OK cowled.

Lizzy, that's a significant increase in commute distance. It will take your body a little while to get used to the extra mileage.
lizzy

by memory you just bought a new roadie

MAYBE the way to go with that distance (it's more than TW or I do each way) would be to commute every second day by e-bike, or commute every second day.

The thing that I had to learn was than I didn't have to do every commute at 100%. stretching/rolling/recovering will become very important

briztoon

Postby briztoon » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:11 am

My commute is a leisurely 25km return. It's 12km on the way in and 13km on the way back. It's a little hilly, and I try and crack the hour mark for the combined distance. Usually the commute home is 3 to 5 minutes faster than the commute to work. I ride from Belmont to Greenslopes, as long as the weather is fair. I usually start work at either 5:55am or 6:45am and finish either at 2pm or 3pm.

So after a ride home, I have time to head out for another couple of hours. But I work weekends, so miss out on the chance of riding with any groups or shops.

I'm lucky as we have showers and a laundry service at work, so I don't need to cart a towel around with me. And I also get free breakfast and morning tea at work, and lunch is only $2 for basically the same thing as a Sizzlers buffet.

Otherwise I walk 4km to the bus and catch 2 buses to work. My commute is only across the south side of town, and there's no direct public transport routes, and the buses from my place don't start running until after I have started work.

bighead89

Postby bighead89 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:57 pm

Any one commute from Craigieburn? :) I know I do :)

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:25 am

18km each way from Wanniassa to Civic for me, five days a week. My office moved to Civic four weeks ago and I'm enjoying the longer ride. This weekend was the first I've done any weekend riding. I start off telling myself I'll take it easy, but I end up kicking into gear at the top of the hill on Athllon Drive and hammering it to Commonwealth Bridge. Love hooning along Adelaide Ave, especially when the on-ramps are quiet. Averaging between 28.5-30km/h. On Fridays I've been taking the singlespeed and averaging ~27km/h.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:56 am

jasonc wrote: lizzy

by memory you just bought a new roadie

MAYBE the way to go with that distance (it's more than TW or I do each way) would be to commute every second day by e-bike, or commute every second day.

The thing that I had to learn was than I didn't have to do every commute at 100%. stretching/rolling/recovering will become very important
Oh yeah, I absolutely don't expect to go straight into it daily, even once my back H's TFU. For a while at least it's going to have to be multi-mode with one of the old bikes as far as the station, etc etc. Then, maybe to work one day and back the next, etc. By the end of the year I'd like to be doing the return trip say twice a week.

And yes, I bought a new roadie in January in preparation for this move. Have mostly been staring mournfully at it this past month :(
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle