My Parking Spot...

rdp_au

My Parking Spot...

Postby rdp_au » Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 am

Uneventful run into work this morning. Wheeled the bike into the bike cage at work and found, gasp, someone had parked their bike in MY spot. The cage never gets completely full, so there is always somewhere to park, but it’s interesting how we all tend to have our own pet locations. For me particularly so, as my recumbent doesn’t fit so easily into a rack space, so I park it leaning against the end of one of the free standing rack units. It’s out of the way there and doesn’t interfere with other bikes as it does when parked in a normal rack space. There are only few such spots, so I’m particularly affronted when someone claims one.

JBark

Re: My Parking Spot...

Postby JBark » Wed May 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Haha, I'm the same way, even though I have no right to be! :) I was the one that got the bike rack installed at work, and I ride more than anyone (virtually every day), so I've always claimed the outside spot on the rack. I leave my u-lock there and everything. Drives me nuts when I have to arrive late for some reason, and find a bike locked up there while there's a few spots open on the rack.

Almost tempted to just leave my u-lock across the rack spot, but that is a pretty jerk thing to do, especially if the rack happens to fill up on a day I'm on leave or something.

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Wed May 01, 2013 2:29 pm

I have to admit this is always something that has annoyed me.

I generally dont ride the good race bike into worjk but still take the time to wrap tape and a tube around the bar to prevent scratches. I also like to be able to leave my lock at work and know that I can easily access it.
James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 01, 2013 2:42 pm

I just use the rack that my lock is attached to. Since I start early, I am there hours before anyone else, thus I always end up with the same spot.
On the few occasions the spot has been used, I grab my lock and that rack then becomes my new home :-)
My lock is too heavy to take home each day, so it stays at work, but does not prevent anyone from using the rack it is on.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Sparx

Postby Sparx » Wed May 01, 2013 3:12 pm

My rack has a bit of musical racks as well - I had the outside spot for a while then someone else claimed it. I think it's funny!

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed May 01, 2013 4:13 pm

We have the one-up, one-down Securabike racks. I picked an up-spot about halfway down one side and left my hulking great D-lock on it. I think my dominance has been successfully asserted since nobody's pinched my spot yet, but people have come in next door after me and bent my mirror back. How rudeness!
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed May 01, 2013 4:31 pm

Lizzy wrote:We have the one-up, one-down Securabike racks. I picked an up-spot about halfway down one side and left my hulking great D-lock on it. I think my dominance has been successfully asserted since nobody's pinched my spot yet, but people have come in next door after me and bent my mirror back. How rudeness!
We have those bike racks on the wall too - it is quite hard getting my bike into a spot when, on both sides of the rack I'm putting my bike on, there are huge handlebar-ed bicycles. I have to push them out of the way and do a bit of bike gymnastics. I think our racks were set 'road bike handlebar' distance apart, not MTB/uber hybrid sized. :roll:

I have a particular rack I like to use (where I leave my d-lock), but I usually have to find somewhere else during summer as I get there around 9AM - I don't have to move around so much now with less people riding. Our building has about 20 bike racks in the entire building (and that's factoring in the 8 spaces for bikes on the 4 ground racks where you can fit two bikes on one rack). For a CBD building of around 20 floors I think that is woeful. I know one lady with a lovely pale pink Pinarello takes her bike upstairs and I wouldn't be surprised if others did the same thing.

We had a building-wide email sometime in summer telling everyone that the person who locked their bike to the basement stair banister was to move it immediately otherwise the lock would be cut and the bike moved. Whoever it was I felt sorry for them as there clearly wasn't any space left down there and they probably didn't think they could take their bike into their office.

skull

Postby skull » Wed May 01, 2013 5:13 pm

Well now that I know where twiz parks, my goal is to steal his spot.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

cp123

Postby cp123 » Wed May 01, 2013 5:28 pm

where I park in one of my buildings, there's another bike that has been parked over the top of mine on occasion. I know - first world problems and all, but why oh why do you need to put your bike touching mine when there is one more rack behind us with bugger all bikes on it. maybe those 2 steps more you would've needed are too hard, but FFS.... :evil:

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Wed May 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Lizzy wrote:We have the one-up, one-down Securabike racks. I picked an up-spot about halfway down one side and left my hulking great D-lock on it. I think my dominance has been successfully asserted since nobody's pinched my spot yet, but people have come in next door after me and bent my mirror back. How rudeness!
Yeah, same racks we have:-

'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

westab

Postby westab » Thu May 02, 2013 10:04 am

I'm lucky - no bike racks at work, and I park in the same spot each day. Just behind my desk. In my open plan office with six people there are two of us who ride to work and we both just park behind our desk. There are some people who don't like it but they don't have any say in the matter - and the people who do matter don't mind (especially the site manager for he doesn't what to have to put in a secure bike rack that would cost money).

So we are all happy.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 pm

Okay, my building's don't look like that picture so they aren't what Lizzy is talking about. That is a nice set-up, Queequeg. Very jealous.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Thu May 02, 2013 2:36 pm

Summernight wrote:Okay, my building's don't look like that picture so they aren't what Lizzy is talking about. That is a nice set-up, Queequeg. Very jealous.
That is the main cage and the visitor parking. We also have a second smaller cage for another 30 bikes, so all up there is theoretically parking for about 230 bikes.
Building is 6-Star Green Rated, and I believe that lots of bike racks are a requirement to get the 6-Star rating, which was lucky for us I guess!

This was my bike parking at the old office:-

takeitasread

Postby takeitasread » Sat May 04, 2013 8:07 pm

I'm on a high floor in the CBD and because my boss is a keener cyclist than I am we have an actual office for our two bikes (and an expansive shower/change room next to the "bike office"). Quite a nice set up really.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat May 04, 2013 11:24 pm

We have numbered racks that correspond to our lockers. I've only had one interloper. He got a message from security.

ZepinAtor

Postby ZepinAtor » Sat May 04, 2013 11:45 pm

queequeg wrote: Yeah, same racks we have:-

Holly racks Batman :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Gas propulsion.......it's natural don't fight it.

twizzle

Postby twizzle » Thu May 16, 2013 1:09 pm

skull wrote:Well now that I know where twiz parks, my goal is to steal his spot.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2
Only just saw this.

Skull needs to be carefull. I have, on two occasions, "accidentally" fallen on an offenders tyre with a jewellers screwdriver. I also have a multi-tool and I am quite capable of turning someone's bike into bike components.

Re. the "accidental" incidents... it takes quite a bit to piss me off. Repeatedly taking over my space is one thing, adding insult to injury by then leaning your bike on top of mine or parking on the other side of the bar with your bike rubbing mine when I got there first begs for trouble.

And I know jcjordan has added some embrocation fluid (ie., simiar to "deep heat") to the chamois of someone who decided to take his spot and hang his sweaty knicks over the bike as well.
I ride, therefore I am. But don't ride into harm's way.
...real cyclists don't have squeaky chains...

hannos

Postby hannos » Thu May 16, 2013 1:29 pm

twizzle wrote:
And I know jcjordan has added some embrocation fluid (ie., simiar to "deep heat") to the chamois of someone who decided to take his spot and hang his sweaty knicks over the bike as well.
:shock: :shock: :shock:
2010 BMC SLC01

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Thu May 16, 2013 3:38 pm

Bike rack at work! OMGosh I am missing out...but as the ONLY regular cycle commuter in the office, nobody ever leans their bike against mine. And nobody objects to my special indoor parking spot in the area in front of the cleaner's cupboard door.

I remember, cough, splutter, driving to work a couple of months ago to discover that someone had parked in my car parking spot. But then I realised that I only drive to work one day a week now so I probably don't qualify for a car parking spot to call my own.

brett.hooker

Postby brett.hooker » Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Very lucky here. We have a gorgeous cycle centre right in our building... Always a merry go round to find a free slot; on the sunny days... :-)
Loving my Merida's and working towards adding a Pinarello to the stable... Go go go...

jcjordan

Postby jcjordan » Thu May 16, 2013 6:15 pm

I have move bsck to my old work where at the moment I am the only rider.

So my spot is right at the front door

James
Veni, Vidi, Vespa -- I Came, I Saw, I Rode Home

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu May 16, 2013 9:31 pm

In the server/locker/tucker room right behind me. 8)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Thu May 16, 2013 10:30 pm

I am the only person cycling at my workplace of 50 people, so I wheel my bike through the building and park it in our warehouse next to the bins and the stationery shelves.
No-one has complained about me wheeling my bike across the reception carpet yet, but I did wonder if I might be pushing my luck this morning when I'd been riding on wet muddy paths.
I'm changing jobs in 10 days time, so will have to see what the bike parking situation is like. I know there is a shower at my new building, which my current work doesn't have. I peeked at the shower when I went for my job interview (have to get your priorities right) and it looked rather grotty.

casual_cyclist

Postby casual_cyclist » Fri May 17, 2013 5:47 pm

rdp_au wrote:Uneventful run into work this morning. Wheeled the bike into the bike cage at work and found, gasp, someone had parked their bike in MY spot.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

That's terrible! Luckily it's never happened to me.
<removed by request>

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun May 19, 2013 3:38 pm

TigerFilly wrote: I peeked at the shower when I went for my job interview (have to get your priorities right) and it looked rather grotty.
well as the cleaner at your new workplace, I'm sure you'll fix it :mrgreen:

We're about to lose our bikeracks as they are putting in another building (where the current bikeracks are). I've been taking my bike up to the secure floor I work on and parking it in the foyer (I hang my clothes in there too). As 3 of the managers also ride and park their bikes up there too, no-one has said boo