Rolling Resistance

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Rolling Resistance

Postby Uba Tracker » Tue May 07, 2013 10:47 am

Hi fellow commuters,
I divide my weekly commute between two mounts, a Ridley Orion Roady and a Specialized Rockhopper MTB 29'er. The route I choose determines the bike I take although neither involves off road. The Ridley is shod with Continental GP 4000's (700 x 23) and in my opinion has very little rolling resistance. The Rockhopper is running Specialized Infinity Armadillos (700 x 38) which by comparison is like riding through thick grass. I appreciate that the bikes are completely different in almost every respect, weight, riding position, gearing etc etc, but there must be a tyre out there that will narrow the gap between the perceived rolling resistances. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Harry
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime
Uba Tracker

by BNA » Tue May 07, 2013 10:53 am

BNA

Re: Rolling Resistance

Postby Gerry.M » Tue May 07, 2013 10:53 am

Uba,

I had 700 x 40's on my Hybrid which I have commuted on for the past 16 months.
Changed to 700 x 28 Vittorias back at Christmas and the difference is night and day. I don't necessarily get to where I'm going much quicker but for instance going up hills is much simpler and it is easier to maintain a higher cruising speed. Like you say, riding on the old tyres was like pushing through thick grass.

There is a table on Sheldon Browns site which shows how to measure and determine the smallest tyre you can put on your bike.
http://sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html
Gerry.M

Postby Nobody » Tue May 07, 2013 10:55 am

Uba Tracker wrote:Hi fellow commuters,
I divide my weekly commute between two mounts, a Ridley Orion Roady and a Specialized Rockhopper MTB 29'er. The route I choose determines the bike I take although neither involves off road. The Ridley is shod with Continental GP 4000's (700 x 23) and in my opinion has very little rolling resistance. The Rockhopper is running Specialized Infinity Armadillos (700 x 38) which by comparison is like riding through thick grass. I appreciate that the bikes are completely different in almost every respect, weight, riding position, gearing etc etc, but there must be a tyre out there that will narrow the gap between the perceived rolling resistances. Any and all suggestions welcome.

Harry
As long as you inner rim measurement is 19mm or less, use 23mm road tyres on your MTB if that's what you really want.
Nobody

Postby Uba Tracker » Tue May 07, 2013 2:05 pm

Cheers :D Thanks for the replies
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime
Uba Tracker

Return to Commuting