Insurance NSW

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Insurance NSW

Postby stardotstar » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Hi all,

I am renewing my Bicycle NSW again and took a moment to go over the details on the website about the insurance coverage.
Apart from a $1000 excess it seems to be reasonable but as a commuter of over 5 years who never thought beyond the fact that bNSW comes with insurance, I thought I better take a closer look at this.
Can anyone recommend an approach for finding an insurance scheme that is best suited to the commuting cyclist as opposed to a generalist approach?
I did a bit of a search on this but couldn't find anything immediately.
Maybe some of you can share your strategy on the insurance front - specifically for NSW.
I was going to call bNSW and then the various insurers but thought to stop in here first :)
Thanks,
Will
Regards,
\\'
09 scott scale 50
06 gt avalanche 1.0
stardotstar

by BNA » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:01 am

BNA

Re: Insurance NSW

Postby stardotstar » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:01 am

So do people rely on their main life insurance (temp/perm disability/death/income continuance etc) and private health insurance on the whole?
Seems like there is not much that the additional cover would give a commuter assuming you already have your bike covered for loss, theft, damage etc...
Regards,
\\'
09 scott scale 50
06 gt avalanche 1.0
stardotstar

Re: Insurance NSW

Postby Kuufu » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:52 pm

NRMA not too long ago brought in bicycle insurance and seems to cover most of the bases:
Covers you, your family or friends riding the bike
Accidental damage, fire and theft
Third party liability cover of $1 million.

Depending on what policy you get (Essentials / Plus):
Claim value cap of $1 000 / $20 000
Racing and CF cover for plus policy.

For commuting, the essentials cover seems appropriate and states a fixed excess of $200.

I only knew about NRMA's policies because a family member works for them and mentioned it to me.
Kuufu

Return to Commuting