Access to the bike cage in my building

northsydneyrider

Access to the bike cage in my building

Postby northsydneyrider » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Hello,

Access to the bike cage, located in the car park of my building, is via a set of 6 stairs down and through a doorway using my electronic pass. I've requested a number of times for access to the carpark and bike cage via the Vehicle access and roller door. The Building manager wont give me access and I find it very difficult via the stairs...any suggestions on how I could persuade him to give me better access

Thanks

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Access to the bike cage in my building

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:03 pm

Most likely you are getting knocked back based on the safety risk (percieved or otherwise) of mixing traffic types through the roller door. If you can demonstrate/convince the BM that the risk of using the current access methods is greater than the risk of your preferred alternative then your in. Of course thats easier said than done.
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

sminns

Postby sminns » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:15 pm

Speak to your tenant rep and ask them to kick up a stink about it, get them to check your lease for access to the carpark and amenities that may be in the building as this would fall under the same clause. Also speak to the Property Manager not the BM.

I'm in a BM role.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:05 pm

I've heard that the building owner at my work refuses to let cyclists have access to the roller door on the basis of increased maintenance (!).

Surely there is an OH&S issue regarding bikes being carried up and down stairs.

Cheers,

Cameron

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:30 pm

Yep, it's a major WH&S issue and the building manager should be prompted to assess their legal risk...

Those roller doors are notoriously temperamental. Cyclists using our cage at work are encouraged to use the stairs to exit. So much so that they even send someone to mop up the top of the stairwell every morning where the hobos relieve themselves under the door (the smell is delightful when they don't...), which is apparently cheaper than having us use the roller door to exit!

sminns

Postby sminns » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:44 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
Surely there is an OH&S issue regarding bikes being carried up and down stairs.

Cheers,

Cameron
If its a dedicated fire stair you can't even access it unless there is a fire, another point as backup