Route From Eastern Melbourne Into The city.

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Route From Eastern Melbourne Into The city.

Postby FatGuts » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Hey guys I am going to be in Melbourne next week and I am taking my bike. I will be working in the east but staying in the city and plan to ride home every day (will be getting out there with my workmate in a hire car every day).

What is the best way to get back from Ferntree Gully and Bayswater?

I prefer off road paths but realise that I wont be blessed with those all the way like I am here in the ACT.

Am I able to get onto the Yarra Trail I have read about easily from there?

Thanks in Advance

FG
Last edited by FatGuts on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FatGuts

by BNA » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:47 pm

BNA

Re: Rout Rrom Eastern Malbourne Into The city.

Postby FatGuts » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:47 pm

OK so far i have Blind Creek trail from Ferntree Gully and teh Koonung Trail on Google maps.

The Blind Creek trail seems to be fairly straightforward but the Koonung Trail has a fair bit of Eastlink in a separated path from near Boronia Road to the Ringwood bypass. Is this an off road path for the full length of this section? It appears so on the map but I cant see it clearly. Can anyone confirm this please?

I like the look of this run especially the bit from Ringwood into the city.
FatGuts

Re: Rout Rrom Eastern Melbourne Into The city.

Postby rangersac » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:09 pm

Actually you can do 99% of this ride off road. Instead of going off at the Blind Creek trail, take the separated trail that runs parallel to the railway line except for some very short sections near Boronia and Bayswater Stations. These are are well signposted and involved some short backstreet sections and crossing of main roads. From Bayswater Station take the Dandenong Creek Trail to Eastlink. Then turn right and go Eastlink to Mullum Mullum Creek Trail, which then joins up with the Koonung Trail, and eventually the main Yarra trail.
De Rosa Macro | Trek 8000ZR | Gemini Steelie
rangersac

Postby FatGuts » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:17 pm

rangersac wrote:Actually you can do 99% of this ride off road. Instead of going off at the Blind Creek trail, take the separated trail that runs parallel to the railway line except for some very short sections near Boronia and Bayswater Stations. These are are well signposted and involved some short backstreet sections and crossing of main roads. From Bayswater Station take the Dandenong Creek Trail to Eastlink. Then turn right and go Eastlink to Mullum Mullum Creek Trail, which then joins up with the Koonung Trail, and eventually the main Yarra trail.

I think I know what you mean, I have ridden the one up to Coburg from the citry instead of riding Sydnay Road. Thanks.
FatGuts

Re: Route From Eastern Melbourne Into The city.

Postby FatGuts » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:30 am

Well two days in and I have had pleasure and pain.

I ended up riding back from the other side of Seaford on Monday and had a smashing headwind all the way into the city. I am not sure what is worse, climbing Black Moumtain in Canberra or doing 50km on the flat with a headwind all the way!!

Yesterday I took Blind creek trail from Ferntree Gully. It's not overly well signposted and ended up lost a few times until I ended up on Scotchans Cree trail (I think that is what it was called) which is well signposted and took me all the way to St Kilda road. It was awesome with so much variation and corners. I had a fat time.

Koonung this afternoon, can't wait.
FatGuts

Postby michael_w » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:31 pm

rangersac wrote:Actually you can do 99% of this ride off road. Instead of going off at the Blind Creek trail, take the separated trail that runs parallel to the railway line except for some very short sections near Boronia and Bayswater Stations. These are are well signposted and involved some short backstreet sections and crossing of main roads. From Bayswater Station take the Dandenong Creek Trail to Eastlink. Then turn right and go Eastlink to Mullum Mullum Creek Trail, which then joins up with the Koonung Trail, and eventually the main Yarra trail.

+1 for this. I do it often, and if you come across a bit where you can't see the connection, just wait a minute and follow the next cyclist that comes by :lol:
michael_w

Return to Commuting