Melbourne legal district to Main Yarra Trail

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Melbourne legal district to Main Yarra Trail

Postby flyby » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:24 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering how you get from the legal district, eg the corner of William and Bourke, to the Main Yarra Trail?

It is congested and confusing and I don't believe there is any stand out route, so I'm keen to hear how others are doing it. Going behind Flinders St Station, the Banana Alley and Birrarung Marr parts are difficult.

flyby

by BNA » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:12 pm

BNA

Re: Melbourne legal district to Main Yarra Trail

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:12 pm

From there I'd go south down William St, East along Collins St until I get to Swanston St then turn right

The route is pretty busy with traffic but I've never had any issues if you assume no-one can see you and you don't insist on going down the left side of traffic when the taxis swallow the bike lane down Collins st.

Ride safe!
misterhorsey

Postby 98octane » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Chancery Ln (next to RACV), Bank Place, Market St, Banana Alley, Yarra North Bank, then Birrarung Marr.

Sounds a bit convoluted, but it's regularly the fastest route for me to MYT from the legal precinct. 5 mins to MYT opposite Rod Laver.

Collins St, Swanston, Flinders, Exhibition St extension is my preferred route after 10pm with little traffic. Before that, too many taxis, lights, trams etc to maintain a decent average speed.

I use this route twice daily.
98octane

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:37 pm

There's a bike lane in Collins?
Maybe if you ride one of these...
I'd be tempted to try that route out with some care. Gotta be better than Southbank.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby 98octane » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:38 pm

PS. I wish Melbourne City Council would pave Banana Alley with bitumen and punish illegal parking! It's become much worse in the last 12 months.
98octane

Postby misterhorsey » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:47 am

Mulger bill wrote:There's a bike lane in Collins?
Maybe if you ride one of these...
I'd be tempted to try that route out with some care. Gotta be better than Southbank.

After your comment I had to check the lane myself, just in case I'd been mistakenly using a 'no parking' single unbroken line as a bike lane!

But yes, according to street view there's the faintest hint of green on the 'bike lane'. And yes. It is very very skinny. And when cars are parked along the side of the road further up its directly in the door zone and there are a bazillion pedestrians poised in between each car waiting to jump out at you just before you pass. So not terribly satisfactory.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/preview# ... 4f75&fid=5

I don't ride up collins st too often. From my experience the traffic is either stop or start in collins st which makes it doable. When its stopped I'm filtering on the side, when its started I'm faster than the cars anyway. Peak hour is a bit nasty tho.

The new bike lane at la trobe is great for traversing the CBD along the east west axis.
misterhorsey

Postby clackers » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:23 am

misterhorsey wrote:
I don't ride up collins st too often.

Have fun with the taxis, et al!

I do ride it when in the city, but can't persuade my wife to take that way if she's with me.
clackers

Postby flyby » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:41 pm

Collins Street is out, it's worse than William, which is saying something. Cars intentionally squeeze you out when the bike lane disappears.

Also Collins gets you up to Swanston and I'm not sure how that would go.

I'm absolutely blown away that there is no sensible way to get bicycle traffic quickly south and east of the CBD.
flyby

Return to Commuting