what's your average speed?

schroeds

Re: what's your average speed?

Postby schroeds » Sat May 17, 2014 2:10 pm

Derny Driver wrote:and the point of the thread is ?
Agreed: silliest thread on the forum (well...possibly).

Inevitably it's about comparison, but the question ignores type of rider, type of bike, type of journey, trip profile, conditions, objective of journey/type of riding, solo or group, age etc etc.

Most posters have mentioned some or all of these, showing the infinite number of variables, and illustrating the pointlessness of the thread.
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Tue May 20, 2014 11:20 am

All true, but I'm faster than you :-) :-)

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue May 20, 2014 11:38 am

schroeds wrote:

Inevitably it's about comparison, but the question ignores type of rider, type of bike, type of journey, trip profile, conditions, objective of journey/type of riding, solo or group, age etc etc.

Most posters have mentioned some or all of these, showing the infinite number of variables, and illustrating the pointlessness of the thread.
The thread may not have much relevance to seasoned cyclists, but to newbies like myself it is interesting and valid because it provides a measuring stick of sorts. I know that I for one like to know what speed other "average" people are able to do on their commutes as it gives me a realistic target to aim for - If everyone else is able to commute at an average of 30km/h but I can't get any quicker than 20km/h then I know that there are opportunities for improvement through improving my fitness, changing equipment, etc.

It provides a data point to play with in order to make the commute a little bit more interesting.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue May 20, 2014 12:30 pm

WarbyD wrote:
schroeds wrote:

The thread may not have much relevance to seasoned cyclists, but to newbies like myself it is interesting and valid because it provides a measuring stick of sorts. I know that I for one like to know what speed other "average" people are able to do on their commutes as it gives me a realistic target to aim for - If everyone else is able to commute at an average of 30km/h but I can't get any quicker than 20km/h then I know that there are opportunities for improvement through improving my fitness, changing equipment, etc.

It provides a data point to play with in order to make the commute a little bit more interesting.
No it doesnt. The data is useless. There are so many variables it is ridiculous. The weather in Tasmania campared to Perth, the wind in Sydney compared to Brisbane, the road surfaces, traffic conditions, country trip versus city, mountain bike versus full TT rig, 100kg rider with backpack versus 60kilo guy in lycra. There are absolutely no comparisons to be made. Average speed is not a measure of fitness.

WarbyD

Postby WarbyD » Tue May 20, 2014 12:37 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
WarbyD wrote:
schroeds wrote: Agreed: silliest thread on the forum (well...possibly).

No it doesnt. The data is useless. There are so many variables it is ridiculous. The weather in Tasmania campared to Perth, the wind in Sydney compared to Brisbane, the road surfaces, traffic conditions, country trip versus city, mountain bike versus full TT rig, 100kg rider with backpack versus 60kilo guy in lycra. There are absolutely no comparisons to be made. Average speed is not a measure of fitness.
Ok then. I hope you don't use Strava, Garmin Connect or anything similar then because that data is equally useless.

This thread is about commuting, not training - nobody is betting the farm on this. I said it provides a data point to give something to play with and aim for other than just getting to work on time. Nothing more. Who gives a !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! if it's not an accurate measure of anything?

Life, and cycling, can be fun without being anal.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

dclnmurray

Postby dclnmurray » Wed May 21, 2014 10:04 am

I commute from Kuraby (near the RACQ ops centre on Logan Road) to Newstead via Story Bridge usually with an 8kg backpack. 23km's total and 21 of those are on bike tracks or little seldom used back roads and I average around 23-25. I usually push it well over 30's on the flatter sections such as Greenslopes bike track section. Still struggle to get a good average due to slowing for various commuting interruptions :) Fastest I have ever done door to door is 43minutes going home and that was without an 8kg backpack and a huge tailwind. Even climbed Gaza Road hill section no less than 25kph but I was spent after that commute :)

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Wed May 21, 2014 1:59 pm

WarbyD wrote:

Ok then. I hope you don't use Strava, Garmin Connect or anything similar then because that data is equally useless.

This thread is about commuting, not training - nobody is betting the farm on this. I said it provides a data point to give something to play with and aim for other than just getting to work on time. Nothing more. Who gives a showtime if it's not an accurate measure of anything?
Actually Strava compares data within segments ie the SAME route, road surface, inclines. Yes there are many other variables, but eliminating them makes it valid. And if you're like me you use Strava to monitor your own data rather than comparing with others.
If everyone else is able to commute at an average of 30km/h but I can't get any quicker than 20km/h then I know that there are opportunities for improvement through improving my fitness, changing equipment, etc.
Forget all the others and take it from me: there are opportunities for improvement...as even Chis Froome would tell you, there always are.
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

Shelby C

Postby Shelby C » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:12 am

From Perth hills into the city centre most days - 30km one way (half of that being cycle path) and roughly the same home though I take a slightly different route. I average between 24 and 27km/h on the way in but always a bit slower on the way home, due to the 350m or so of climbing in the last 7km. I ride fixed - 47/18 (70gi) nice and spinny.

reefer

Postby reefer » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:15 am

reefer wrote:My commute on my Avanti cadent 1.0 is 15k each way. I was averaging 25-28km/hr but recently replaced my compact with a 53/39 and am now pushing myself a bit more resulting in my average jumping up to 30-32km/hr. I am 175cm@90kg trying to get down below 80kg, its a struggle.
I have just changed wheel set from RS500+Spec All Conditions to a Mavic cxp33-ultegra hub with a set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus. I have just completed a week of commuting and 3 of my normal 50km rides around town.

My average has stayed about the same on the 15km commute but dropped 2 km/hr over the 50km. I expected a drop and do feel my legs a bit more at the end of 50km.

I suppose of the next 6 months I will get stronger and feel better for it and hopefully next to no punctures. :)

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:16 am

I commute and I average between 24 and 31km, obivously depending on wind, rain, heat and how I feel.
My distance can range from 20km tp 35km. I don't do these rides in groups as this easily adds a considerable amount to your average due to drafting.
I do have a fast bike and ride a combination of road and PSP. Therefore including stops turns and traffic lights. I don't average out zero's that can be selected on some cycle computers.

Am over 50

I am a bit sceptical of claims well above 30km as a general average, As I don't have that many people passing me, mostly I'm doing the passing. I am not saying above 30km averages are impossible as I have done them myself, but this is in optimum conditions, clear paths, no or tail winds and smooth surfaces.

I have done group riding with shops and the top guys group don't crack 35km on a good day. So guys what is the criteria for quoting averages?
I set my computer to including everything.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:55 am

Mine is all riding speed, doesn't include the stops. Having said that there are very few stops on my commute.

Edit: rotten auto correct.
Last edited by bychosis on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

reefer

Postby reefer » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:02 am

softy wrote: So guys what is the criteria for quoting averages?
I set my computer to including everything.
Same. I set my lowly cat eye Mity 6 to zero, it then records everything. All my stops, every single bloody red light even though there is no other car to be seen in sight. (I used iPhone with strava twice to check my cat eye, it was within 0.5km/hr, good enough for me). I average 30-32 on the way to work, that drops down to 28 on the way home, I am buggered after lifting furniture all day.

I am still fighting my Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres, but I am feeling the benefit. I am able to push harder longer. With the benefit that I no longer pay much if any attention to the road surface. They tyres are doing the job albeit with a harsher ride than I expected. No punctures yet :)
Roads are flat and on the whole dead smooth and I am 175cm@88kg(trying to get down to 80kg).

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:10 am

@softy

All depends on all conditions and abilities.

Faster pace solo is definately possible... Look at itt efforts.

At my strongest, I did an out and back freeway shoulder effort at 38kph avg for 50km, and a best ever bunch avg of 42kph on a circuit with lots of corners.

There is always someone quicker... I remember Brad McGee saying how much of a buzz it was in the pro peloton weaving through small Europesn towns at speeds up to 55kph avg for a stage.

The only real comparison is against peers in a race:) Best on the day wins;)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:21 am

Derny Driver wrote:No it doesnt. The data is useless. There are so many variables it is ridiculous. The weather in Tasmania campared to Perth, the wind in Sydney compared to Brisbane, the road surfaces, traffic conditions, country trip versus city, mountain bike versus full TT rig, 100kg rider with backpack versus 60kilo guy in lycra. There are absolutely no comparisons to be made. Average speed is not a measure of fitness.
The other thing with commute average speeds, the whole thing is so affected by the flow of the traffic, getting stuck at traffic lights (stopping and starting) and the like - or if some of it is on bike paths with pedestrians or slower riders. Someone riding a nice smooth motorway shoulder or a wide, long non-stop bike path will always have the advantage.

Commute rides should never be about average speed however.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:29 am

Cossie Phil wrote:@softy

All depends on all conditions and abilities.

Faster pace solo is definately possible... Look at itt efforts.

At my strongest, I did an out and back freeway shoulder effort at 38kph avg for 50km, and a best ever bunch avg of 42kph on a circuit with lots of corners.

There is always someone quicker... I remember Brad McGee saying how much of a buzz it was in the pro peloton weaving through small Europesn towns at speeds up to 55kph avg for a stage.

The only real comparison is against peers in a race:) Best on the day wins;)
As I said, it is not impossible, but for most daily commutes (not specific sections of roads which allow high speeds, continously without stopping) you have lights, curvy paths, poor suface, tee junctions, traffic lights, traffic, road crossings, etc, that you have to slow down for. A stop for 30secs kills your average or waiting to pass safely or cross a road.

To compare averages has many variables. I know lots of guys disregard stops on there computer. Commuters carry gear, recreational riders don't. All im saying is for normal commuting for going somewhere and not selecting specific routes (good for averages) 25km to me is a good pace.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:47 am

Softy: You've also got to consider, Phil is pretty damn quick and motorway shoulders are really fast.

I've also ridden once with a loaded back-pack on my other bike (8.5kg Trek). I wasn't really that much slower with that. And that was years back when I was hopelessly slow.

Now I'm much quicker than that, and I can definitely accelerate much faster. When I look at my averages, the Garmin does auto-stop at traffic lights and below 8km/h, but I do generally roll up to traffic lights so that also kills the average speed a lot.

Depending on where my work moves to in the coming year, I might start doing commute rides, all the potential locations look decent for that. :)

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:18 am

g-boaf wrote:Softy: You've also got to consider, Phil is pretty damn quick and motorway shoulders are really fast.

I've also ridden once with a loaded back-pack on my other bike (8.5kg Trek). I wasn't really that much slower with that. And that was years back when I was hopelessly slow.

Now I'm much quicker than that, and I can definitely accelerate much faster. When I look at my averages, the Garmin does auto-stop at traffic lights and below 8km/h, but I do generally roll up to traffic lights so that also kills the average speed a lot.

Depending on where my work moves to in the coming year, I might start doing commute rides, all the potential locations look decent for that. :)
I do believe we are agreeing here;
A motorway shoulder has a good surface and the vortex of the traffic to suck you along. Hi 30s or even 40s are quite maintainable. This is my point.

You can't compare this to riding in most other enviroments.
Here in perth we have a PSP that runs very close to the freeway, going one way you average 25, going with the traffic 35+, what are we comparing?

I could choose to use my average going with the traffic and quote a good average, but to be realistic you should add the average going both ways and dividing by two. This is realistic.

To commute some where doesn't always give idea routes, you may have a head wind one day and a tail wind another. These make a massive difference to your speed.

Im over fifty, so im sure some very fit young guys can whip my ass. There are so many variables to consider. All im asking here is if you are comparing averages there has to be some kind of difined criteria, otherwise it means mute.

Taking all diferent routes and conditions into consideration, 25km I believe is a good pace.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:34 pm

About 25kph I think.

Jet01

Postby Jet01 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:07 pm

Average speed is a great way to monitor improvements.
We are just about to have our first child so all my time intensive hobbies like fishing and surfing have had to take a backseat for a while. I bought a bike before Easter as I decided that cycling would be a great option for maintaining/improving cardio fitness.

My usual ride is a 28km route whichs goes from Cronulla station out to Kurnell, greeenhills loop then gunnamatta loop on the way back. I sometimes shorten this depending on how I'm feeling.

As I can't afford to go for longer rides. I have to try to get faster over the same distance or travel a longer distance over the same time. I use strava to monitor my average speed. It's the only way I can monitor my improvement.

I've just cracked the 30km/h average on my new trek crossrip limited.

I'm interested to hear if there is anyone out there that:
a) used average speed as an indicator for their usual ride.
b) started out on an alloy frame and upgraded to carbon frame, and did they notice an instant increase is average speed as soon as they started riding the new bike?
Or
C) did their usual ride on a bike with 32mm tyres, then put 25's on. Did you notice improvement in average speed?

Got a few things in mind. A) Not sure whether the upgrade to carbon will ever be worth it. B) thinking of getting some slimmer tyres for my crossrip.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:37 pm

I usually commute on a 25 year old steel bike with a max gear range of 48x13 with 32mm tyres and mud guards. The best average speed for my 32 km commute was just shy of 34km/hr. Super skinny tyres are actually slower over anything but smooth hot mix and frame material have no bearing on average speed, it's the engine that drives it.

kb

Postby kb » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Jet01 wrote: As I can't afford to go for longer rides. I have to try to get faster over the same distance or travel a longer distance over the same time. I use strava to monitor my average speed. It's the only way I can monitor my improvement.
Sounds like you'd really appreciate the veloviewer summary page. You should check it out if you haven't already.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:28 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I usually commute on a 25 year old steel bike with a max gear range of 48x13 with 32mm tyres and mud guards. The best average speed for my 32 km commute was just shy of 34km/hr. Super skinny tyres are actually slower over anything but smooth hot mix and frame material have no bearing on average speed, it's the engine that drives it.
With hardly a crest in sight :P Frames do play a part in many different ways but as always its fit for purpose.

singlespeedscott

what's your average speed?

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:16 am

Give me a new steel frame from standard diametre Reynolds 853 or Kaisei 017 tubing with a mechanical Super Record group and some Boras shod with Compass Chinook Pass 28mm tyres I'd keep up with you on your Propel over any terrain just fine :)

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:41 am

Are you proposing a challenge? :P :P :D

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:02 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Are you proposing a challenge? :P :P :D
Yeah. If I ever get the money together to build said bike :)