2014 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

poohkies

Re: 2014 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby poohkies » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:29 pm

Yes I have actually carried her bag, to be honest riding With the wife is wheelie practise time! She hates it I enjoy being able to practise doing wheelies while riding ! Day care shops and work will all I'll put up!

jools

Postby jools » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Ok, I have just joined the challenge, but with a commute of just 15k's each way I'm hardly a contender!

I've been using the MapMyRun app for a few years and all my rides are logged there - I'll have to try and import the relevant rides from the last 2 weeks, those 90-odd k's could be crucial! :D

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:39 pm

jools wrote:Ok, I have just joined the challenge, but with a commute of just 15k's each way I'm hardly a contender!

I've been using the MapMyRun app for a few years and all my rides are logged there - I'll have to try and import the relevant rides from the last 2 weeks, those 90-odd k's could be crucial! :D
My commute is about the same distance, yet managed a tic over 7000 km for last years challenge. Admittedly, to build and maintain a bit of a buffer from those in the sub 10K class, I had to extend a few of these commutes via some scenic routes on particularly pleasant days.

westab

Postby westab » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:53 am

jools wrote:Ok, I have just joined the challenge, but with a commute of just 15k's each way I'm hardly a contender!

Welcome - 15km - 6 km more than mine. I will be aiming for 6000km this year - and you area contender just not with the machines that are OX and above. Its just a bit of fun and some motivation for those wet, hot, cold, dark, too bright, too windy, not feeling like riding days when we just need a little something to help us keep on the bike.

Have fun and with a 15km commute - looks like I have another rider to compete with.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

jools

Postby jools » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:13 am

Thanks for the encouragement! I've never done any challenges or competitions previously but this looked like a good bit of motivation to take the bike instead of driving - a little bit at a time all adds up in the long run. I figure 2,500ks should be pretty easy, 5,000 would be a great achievement and if I could somehow manage to get anywhere near 7,000 that would be cause for celebration!

I gather that 'taking the scenic route' falls within the guidelines of the challenge?

westab

Postby westab » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:58 am

jools wrote:I gather that 'taking the scenic route' falls within the guidelines of the challenge?
Jools - There are many "rules" that may be quoted here (even by yours truely) - to me yes the 'scenic route' on the way home is fine. Too me any km that has a reason other than simply going for a ride is OK.

For example I will most likely go for a ride tonight to drop off some library books because I can. It is a commute to me - even though mrs Westab and the kids could drop them off on Friday as they will be going past. Friday night a mate and I might meet to go for a ride - this won't be counted as it is simply a ride without any other purpose.

Hope that helps - anyway just keep riding and enjoy :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:12 am

jools wrote:I gather that 'taking the scenic route' falls within the guidelines of the challenge?
I do group rides 3 or 4 mornings a week. I start at home and finish at work. If I was to go home and grab stuff after the group ride then go to work. only the commute would count. But as I start at home and finish at work, it all counts.

jools

Postby jools » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:53 am

Thanks for the clarification! I've got a fairly scenic route to work that keeps me off the roads and away from traffic as much as possible, but I may have to detour a little further on the odd occasion :D

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:23 pm

Who is Lars Copcutt? Is that you Poohkies?

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:15 pm

Hi guys, i've joined the challenge on Endomondo - i'll appear as Rob Gregory on there, currently showing in 4th place

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:32 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:Who is Lars Copcutt? Is that you Poohkies?
yeah dude that me ?

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:06 pm

I wasn't going to join this year for a couple of reasons. One was to avoid uploading rides to a third site (after Garmin and Strava) and also so I that I didn't feel pressured into always taking the 'long way home' to keep the leader board ticking along. In a way, just to indulge in being a bit lazy. If I were to adhere to my intentions, I would have kept my nose out of this thread. But dammit, a new year, some new commuters putting in some serious km's - it's all a bit infectious. So, I'm back. Just did a bulk upload of this years commutes, and find that I have returned where I left off last year... 4th (sorry Robinho) :wink:

However I'm at an age where any improvement is now in my past so I don't think I'll achieve the Kms that I did last year - although I will just keep an eye on that Westab dude and try to maintain something along the lines of his achievements - he appears to set very realistic goals! 8)

jools

Postby jools » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:37 pm

I see what you mean about pressured - I just got home and checked the results and I'm 300m off jumping up a spot - there may be a detour in order tomorrow!

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:45 pm

jools wrote:Thanks for the encouragement! I've never done any challenges or competitions previously but this looked like a good bit of motivation to take the bike instead of driving - a little bit at a time all adds up in the long run. I figure 2,500ks should be pretty easy, 5,000 would be a great achievement and if I could somehow manage to get anywhere near 7,000 that would be cause for celebration!

I gather that 'taking the scenic route' falls within the guidelines of the challenge?

If u want a bit of motivation, I ride in the wee hours leaving home around 2:45am! Just getting up hurts! Hopefully I can keep it up goal is as many Km's as I can and loose around 25 30 kg

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:48 pm

Now stickied, I'll cut loose the 2013 version and let it drift down the page.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:38 pm

Thanks Shaun.

Remember guys this is a 12 months challenge.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:19 pm

What the...?? I don't think I've ever been this low in the rankings...P7!
I did have to take time out last week to spend some time with the family in WA, otherwise Mrs TW would have confiscated my bikes :mrgreen:
Edit: And the 40C+ heat in Melbourne this week has forced me to shorten the rides to minimum distance...yeah I know, excuses excuses :mrgreen:
Last edited by TailWind on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

westab

Postby westab » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:41 pm

jasonc wrote:Thanks Shaun.

Remember guys this is a 12 months challenge.
Yes and I am already behind - first week back. This Year I may be able to log rides weekly (not monthly like last year). Target for each week 150km.

Yes Ox I do try to set the goals a little bit further away each year and then the engineer in me sits down and calculates where the kms are coming from so 6000km from 47 weeks (4 weeks leave + 1 week sales conference) requires 128km per week - I could give you more calcs but why bore you.

I won't be in the top ten this week but should give it a shake next (only at 100km at the moment). :D

jools

Postby jools » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:47 pm

poohkies wrote:If u want a bit of motivation, I ride in the wee hours leaving home around 2:45am! Just getting up hurts! Hopefully I can keep it up goal is as many Km's as I can and loose around 25 30 kg
I haven't done any riding at all since September and this is my first full week back at work so for the moment I'm just trying to survive the commute. Once I get back into a reasonable riding condition again I'll start pushing a bit further, maybe with a bit of an earlier start and longer ride in the morning. Dealing with the crazy headwinds in Sydney at the moment is leaving me completely stuffed by the time I get home!

Some years ago I lost a similar amount of weight to what you are aiming for by doing a similar thing - getting up early and exercising (walking, cycling, weights) and also being careful with the diet. I was very determined about the exercise and got completely stressed if I missed a workout. Took me about 11 months to lose the weight but with just a few kgs to go I fell into a fatigue hole - a bit like chronic fatigue - I was constantly tired and had no energy whatsoever. Knocked me about for months.

My advice (just in case you need advice :) ) is to make sure you get plenty of rest and also make sure you get your diet right - losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:29 pm

the main reason for doing so many km's is to get my legs dealing with hills, being from darwin and moving to brisbane I get dropped as soon as i even see a hill, so i'm just trying to do as many km's with as many hills as possible, not needing to always be flat out, but just to get the extra km's on my legs dealing with hills! in turn hopefully loose the added weight which in turn will make me go up hills faster :P win win

Releng

Postby Releng » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:47 pm

Hi,
I have just joined and am currently in second. I do 46K per day commuting, and a few other trips about the place, shops, visiting and stuff like that. I look forward to the challenge, although the winters down here in Hobart are long, cold and wet.
Mick

westab

Postby westab » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:42 pm

Well kms logged in for the first week - 182km - only 12th place but at least I am on the way. :D

Target for the next week is the top ten - OX you better look out I'm only 147km behind - and I'm a coming 8)

alexander

Postby alexander » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:53 pm

Just a suggestion, could we rename this the Gretaboy Commuting Challenge, in honor of a great commuter and participant.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet

westab

Postby westab » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:01 pm

alexander wrote:Just a suggestion, could we rename this the Gretaboy Commuting Challenge, in honor of a great commuter and participant.
Alexander - that works for me; what a nice idea. It seems to me that he not only is a great commuter / participant but a great bloke as well (and that is without meeting him in person).

Would like to hear others thoughts.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:27 pm

was thinking that yesterday - done!