2014 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: 2014 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:58 pm

poohkies wrote:
jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:Please confirm the following if a commute,
rode with the Kids and wife to daycare, then rode to work with the wife (carried her bag) then rode to woolies and got milk bread and grapes and rode home

oh man - you are pushing that riding the bike with the wife to work

mmm okies but if i didn't ride with the wife and say did cootha instead ?

:roll:
jasonc

by BNA » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:33 pm

BNA

Postby gretaboy » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:33 pm

jasonc wrote:
poohkies wrote:
jasonc wrote:
oh man - you are pushing that riding the bike with the wife to work

mmm okies but if i didn't ride with the wife and say did cootha instead ?

:roll:

Touche poohkies haha...classic
gretaboy

Postby poohkies » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:30 pm

gretaboy wrote:
Touche poohkies haha...classic

Thanks gretaboy :)

Jason so from your words,

"hmmm. the rules last year is if it's a journey that replaces that my another means of transport. i.e. to the shops, to work, to the pub (TW). but a ride where you start and finish at home for no other reason but fitness doesn't count as "cycling: transport"

my ride started of commuting to the daycare, then inbetween that and shops was to help my wife (shes sick) carry her bag and then go to the shops, to get milk and bread, it's not fitness cause i'm doing wheelies :P and we I used my bike instead of the car. so isn't that a commute? can we put it to a vote?
I understand If i just got up and road with the wife to her work and home the only reason i'm doing it is to go for a ride! which i wouldn't classify as a commute as I start at home don't stop anywhere and end at home.

don't want to start a showtime fight just want to make sure I understand the rules!
poohkies

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:36 am

poohkies wrote:Jason so from your words,

"hmmm. the rules last year is if it's a journey that replaces that my another means of transport. i.e. to the shops, to work, to the pub (TW). but a ride where you start and finish at home for no other reason but fitness doesn't count as "cycling: transport"

my ride started of commuting to the daycare, then inbetween that and shops was to help my wife (shes sick) carry her bag and then go to the shops, to get milk and bread, it's not fitness cause i'm doing wheelies :P and we I used my bike instead of the car. so isn't that a commute? can we put it to a vote?
I understand If i just got up and road with the wife to her work and home the only reason i'm doing it is to go for a ride! which i wouldn't classify as a commute as I start at home don't stop anywhere and end at home.

don't want to start a showtime fight just want to make sure I understand the rules!

poohkies - i'd say include the kms
but i'll cry if you beat me.
jasonc

Postby poohkies » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:15 pm

jason there's no chance in hell i'll beat you :) maybe next year :P
poohkies

Postby Jonno » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:25 pm

Any chance for a late entrant??
Jonno

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:26 pm

Jonno wrote:Any chance for a late entrant??

PM me your endomondo email address
jasonc

Postby Lizzy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:23 am

So I must have come over all sausage-fingered on my Endomondo home screen, because apparently I've been boxing to and from work for the past few days :shock:

(It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am).
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:25 pm

Lizzy wrote:So I must have come over all sausage-fingered on my Endomondo home screen, because apparently I've been boxing to and from work for the past few days :shock:

(It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am).

you are awesomesauce
jasonc

Postby Releng » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Lizzy wrote:So I must have come over all sausage-fingered on my Endomondo home screen, because apparently I've been boxing to and from work for the past few days :shock:

That might be a requirement for commuting on the bike track through Hobart's northern suburbs. It can get a bit scary some times with drunks and bogans.
Releng

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:40 pm

I can't hold TW off much longer. Sorry. I reckon he'll get me by Tuesday
jasonc

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:23 pm

Releng wrote:

That might be a requirement for commuting on the bike track through Hobart's northern suburbs. It can get a bit scary some times with drunks and bogans.

like that going along the path along the brisbane river in the weeee hours of the morning
poohkies

Postby Jonno » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:14 pm

Stuck on a mine site this week - losing ground!
Jonno

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:20 pm

TW is about to run over the top of me - I lasted 2 days longer than I thought
jasonc

Postby poohkies » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:33 am

Been extremely slack this week but happy with my current position :)
poohkies

Postby westab » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:23 pm

Back into riding this week after a week off the bike for the work sales conference. Feeling good to be back on the bike and already got 70 km this week.

Hoping to get some extra kms soon as I might be getting a trailer that will allow for the fruit and veg shopping to be also done by bike.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby AndreB1972 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:58 pm

poohkies wrote:
nezumi wrote:
jasonc wrote:if you start at work and finish at home, it's commuting

Interesting. So if you do it on your own it's a commute, but if you meet up with a group to do it it's a leisure ride?

not exactly,
if you leave home, do a group ride and continue on to work then it's a commute, last friday I road from work to the Brookefield group ride then road home so classified as commute as i left work and ended up at home.
As i read it, as long as you leave home with a purpose to go somewhere that you would normally drive, shops / work / someone house as long as the soul purpose wasn't to go for a ride group ride just fitness

Pulled from the daily commuting thread...

Surely the aim of commuting is "to get somewhere", and in most cases you'd do this as quick as possible, taking consideration of safety, terrain, traffic etc. I thought the aim of a commuting challenge was to encourage consistency and regular riding (ie. Rule #5). Else its just a case of staying in bed when its raining, and bang in a big one the next day.

How can a group ride or random extension of km even be considered commuting? I don't think anyone would drive 70km extra in their car to get home...

Maybe the challenge should be called the "Weekday Riding Challenge"
AndreB1972

Postby jasonc » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:31 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:Surely the aim of commuting is "to get somewhere", and in most cases you'd do this as quick as possible, taking consideration of safety, terrain, traffic etc. I thought the aim of a commuting challenge was to encourage consistency and regular riding (ie. Rule #5). Else its just a case of staying in bed when its raining, and bang in a big one the next day.

How can a group ride or random extension of km even be considered commuting? I don't think anyone would drive 70km extra in their car to get home...

Same rules as last year - if you start at home/work and finish at work/home and are riding, it's a commute. if you go the long way, more kudos to you.

and doing a 70km ride here or there won't keep you at the top of this challenge
jasonc

Postby gretaboy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:40 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:Surely the aim of commuting is "to get somewhere", and in most cases you'd do this as quick as possible, taking consideration of safety, terrain, traffic etc. I thought the aim of a commuting challenge was to encourage consistency and regular riding (ie. Rule #5). Else its just a case of staying in bed when its raining, and bang in a big one the next day.

But thats the beauty of cycling...you wouldnt drive an extra 70 k's in a car, but you would ride it

my commute was 45 k each way, but I would ride extra at times simply to discover something new, go a path/route I hadnt ridden before

that is cycling...it is what I now miss
gretaboy

Postby AndreB1972 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:12 am

gretaboy wrote:But thats the beauty of cycling...you wouldnt drive an extra 70 k's in a car, but you would ride it

:D Good to see you on this thread again Gretaboy, hope your recovery is going well. I can't really argue about adding km to a ride - my wife never understands how a 2hr ride becomes an 8hr epic. My thoughts were more around "replacement" mileage - sleeping in one day, and going big the next - to me that's just regular training, not commuting. But as Jason points out, an extra 70km once a week is not going to get you to the top of the leader board (although might just give you a gap on the chasers).

But if those are the rules I'm happy to play by them - doesn't really affect me too much, other than making sure I don't have too many rest days....
AndreB1972

Postby westab » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:47 pm

Logged this weeks kms - 20 shorter than I was hoping for as mrs westab hurt her back again - so had to drive the kids for sports rather than us riding there.

Happy with tenth for a few days - now I have the new trailer approved so the shopping will now be by bike. Helping the environment, my fitness, saving fuel, and hopfully getting me higher up the leader board in this challenge.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.
westab

Postby poohkies » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:31 pm

AndreB1972 wrote:
gretaboy wrote:But thats the beauty of cycling...you wouldnt drive an extra 70 k's in a car, but you would ride it

:D Good to see you on this thread again Gretaboy, hope your recovery is going well. I can't really argue about adding km to a ride - my wife never understands how a 2hr ride becomes an 8hr epic. My thoughts were more around "replacement" mileage - sleeping in one day, and going big the next - to me that's just regular training, not commuting. But as Jason points out, an extra 70km once a week is not going to get you to the top of the leader board (although might just give you a gap on the chasers).

But if those are the rules I'm happy to play by them - doesn't really affect me too much, other than making sure I don't have too many rest days....

Is this directed towards me doing extra km last week? As I don't train for anything and 90% of my rides are to work etc. but I put it this way, if someone normal commute is 10km and they do 30 how is this different to me adding the extra Km's to 70 to mine!
poohkies

Postby gretaboy » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Gentleman....its only a challenge that is not taken super serious by anyone....all shits and giggles

its early in the year with a long way to go...and remember...commute safely and ensure you make your destination....thats all that matters
gretaboy

Postby poohkies » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:46 pm

gretaboy wrote:Gentleman....its only a challenge that is not taken super serious by anyone....all shits and giggles

its early in the year with a long way to go...and remember...commute safely and ensure you make your destination....thats all that matters

Sorry I thought we must still be at school with the above comments. Didn't realise this forum was like that! But to be called slack and sleep in etc sort of mony balony. I'll just continue to do my riding for fitness and myself

Hope your on a speedie mend gretaboy
poohkies

Postby gretaboy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:23 am

poohkies wrote:
gretaboy wrote:Gentleman....its only a challenge that is not taken super serious by anyone....all shits and giggles

Sorry I thought we must still be at school with the above comments. Didn't realise this forum was like that! But to be called slack and sleep in etc sort of mony balony. I'll just continue to do my riding for fitness and myself

Hope your on a speedie mend gretaboy

Poohkies..I understand how you might feel and in your shoes I may have felt this way too..but it is also easy to interpret black and white txt on the internet the wrong way

you have got the right approach...ride for fitness and yourself

I am doing ok and thankful for all the wishes to get well
gretaboy

PreviousNext

Return to Commuting