Rims: Alex EVO super comp vs HED Ardennes + FR Disc Brake

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Re: Rims: Alex EVO super comp vs HED Ardennes + FR Disc Brak

Postby Drizt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:29 pm

biker jk wrote:It's a tricky one given all the requirements you list. You want disc brakes and there aren't many road bike frames that take discs (especially with rack and mudguard mounts). CX frames have relaxed geometry (slack head tube angle) and with long chain stays, this gives a long wheelbase and so they don't turn into corners very quickly. I would go for something like a Cannondale Synapse Disc (either 105 or Ultegra). Not hydraulic brakes but it has rack and mudguard mounts. The 2014 models are going cheap right now.

Thanks for the suggestion but hydro only. The TCX seems to fit the criteria best for the price (remembering its not the end game frame).

For myself, at the end of next season I will be looking to get a run out 2015 Focus Cayo 3.0 with Ultegra and R785 hyrdo discs ;) Don't know what I will do with my Giant Defy advanced 1 when that day comes (it will be pretty much redundant).
Drizt

by BNA » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 pm

BNA

Postby Blakeylonger » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:31 pm

The list sure does have more than commuter in it, but it's what you led with, and still none of them are "race CX".

Weekend riding could be anything. Beach Rd smashfest, coffee road ride, 200km gravel epics, tootle to the shops.

Weaknesses:
A CX frame won't be as nice to ride outside of areas that require quick low speed handling, the HT angle, BB drop, CS length, wheelbase, all factor into this. Given it sounds like it's primarily a 'road' bike, a CX bike is not the best option.
The rack mounting will be kludgy
The fender mounting will be super kludgy

I don't know what the TCX SLR frameset retails for, my googling failed me, but the list on the TCX SS, which is the same bar the dropouts is USD$1300. So I figured the TCX SLR would be similar, plus the australia tax.

The rack setup you show is too high and will 'wag the dog', plus the fork is the QR model, not the mount-less TA fork.

You want alternatives? Look into anyroad/endurance road type bikes with discs and 28mm clearances. There's a whole world of bikes that didn't exist but a few years ago.
2015 Cannondale Synapse Disc (aluminium, fenders, no rack mount)
2015 GT Grade (TA, carbon or aluminium, fender & "rack" mounts)
2014 Specialized Secteur Disc (QR, aluminium, fender, rack)
2015 Specialized Diverge (TA, carbon, fenders, rack with a replacement seatclamp)
2014 Kona Freerange (rack & fenders, Steel, but 44mm HT will take a tapered carbon fork like the excellent Kona P2 CX disc)
2014 Trek Crossrip (rack & fenders, aluminium, QR)

If you must have a CX bike though, Cannondale CAADX / Jamis Nova Sport and many others that aren't the top end race model have proper rack/fender mounts.

And if you *have* to have hydro, buy the complete, sell the bits you don't need as new takeoffs and fit the parts you want. You're already spending a fortune on it, what's a little more.
Blakeylonger

Postby Drizt » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:56 pm

Brother in law has a CX bike and a road bike that he commutes to work every day. He says if he had his time again he would have just bought the CX bike. He hasn't had any complaints using a CX bike for commuting 60kms every day.

I commute on a Defy Advanced 1 every day. Granted I don't use panniers but the thing has been great.

Realistically how much would you get for selling the low end parts on this bike? And how easy would it be to shift?

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/road-b ... /102353416

Note: the bike frame has to be small. All the ones listed on bike exchange are medium or greater.

kludgy ????

2015 Cannondale Synapse Disc (aluminium, fenders, no rack mount)
- no rack, no good.
2015 GT Grade (TA, carbon or aluminium, fender & "rack" mounts)
- is it released yet? Wanting to buy asap
2014 Specialized Secteur Disc (QR, aluminium, fender, rack)
- see question above this list ...
2015 Specialized Diverge (TA, carbon, fenders, rack with a replacement seatclamp)
- is it released yet? Wanting to buy asap
2014 Kona Freerange (rack & fenders, Steel, but 44mm HT will take a tapered carbon fork like the excellent Kona P2 CX disc)
- Again, not exactly cheap. How much would you get for selling off the gear ?
- Kona rove Ti would be cool, but not even remotely cheap. -> http://www.cxmagazine.com/kona-titanium ... cross-2015
2014 Trek Crossrip (rack & fenders, aluminium, QR)
- This one actually looks pretty cool. Again, how much would you get for selling off the left overs? And how easy is it to move?
- How is this much different to the TCX (sorry if it is obvious to others)
- http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/a/cycloc ... /102296074
Drizt

Postby Drizt » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:00 am

Had a ride of the Trek CrossRip LTD. First up, I have been spoilt with Ultegra! Seems to be a decent enough bike. Unfortunately there are no 'Small's available, seems to only be mediums or above. That said, the tiny stem on the bike made the Medium rideable for me.
Drizt

Previous

Return to Commuting