Looking at building a bike with a tight budget

Beating the system - the cycling commuting section

Looking at building a bike with a tight budget

Postby Rs_fai » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:52 pm

Interested at building a road bike with a $400 budget. Needing your guys help with selecting the right gear for my build. I would be mainly purchasing second hand parts.

I have found a 50 inch Giant OCR3 frame. I'm 170cm, would this frame suit me ?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/south-pe ... 1051333245
Rs_fai

by BNA » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:15 pm

BNA

Re: Looking at building a bike with a tight budget

Postby qvack » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:15 pm

Just buy a complete used bike, pretty much guaranteed you'll get more bang for your buck than buying parts. For $400 you're looking at a newer sora/tiagra bike, or an older 105. If you're not confident with judging condition try and find someone to come along with you who can give you an opinion of what a bike is worth.

The sizing you're looking at should be fine, either a small or a medium should be okay.
qvack

Postby bychosis » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:59 am

Buy the frame if you are having trouble finding a complete bike in your size, but buy a complete bike with the gear you want as well, the strip, swap and sell the excess frame.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:18 am

50cm that should say. That's the seat tube measurement, the top tube is 55cm which should be an appropriate size for your height, depending on stem length.

If you aren't already, get on to the Bicycle Market page on Facebook, some fantastic buys come up on there (i just landed a set of 105 shifters for $20). Your local tip shop can be a good source too. Either that or just keep your eye on Gumtree and ebay, as qvack said it's a lot easier to get a complete bike within your budget than to build one up. You certainly can gather the parts but i would expect it to take a while to get them at the required prices. As an example, with that frame, a set of wheels, bars/tape, tyres/tubes, chain and a saddle you'd be looking over $300, and then you would still need cranks, bb, cassette, shifters, brakes, cables and pedals.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Rs_fai » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks guys for the advice. I forgot to mention that i had another bike that i would be just swapping the gear over, that in pretty good shape, the only problem is that the frame is large.
Rs_fai

Return to Commuting