Lynskey Sportive Disc + fenders + rack

Drizt

Re: Lynskey Sportive Disc + fenders + rack

Postby Drizt » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:31 pm

RonK wrote:
Drizt wrote:
RonK wrote:A classy titanium bike deserves equally classy fenders. Honjo - Koken Hammered are the only choice... :wink:
Nice...

Wonder what these ones weigh ??

Honjo Fender 700c 35mm Smooth
I have hammered - they are alloy and weigh very little.
Actually, just noticed they have a 41mm version. Wonder if that will fit my Sportive Disc?

http://store.somafab.com/hofe70sm41wi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm assuming I'll have to buy online and wont find anywhere to look before I buy.

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:04 pm

I got mine from Velo Orange. They don't list them anymore but do list their own knockoff.
I don't know of any local sellers.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:07 pm

Cheers, I'll look into it.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Drizt wrote: The size SKS longboard fender that fits on my bike does not allow the size tyre I want. Basically the design is space inefficient. I know this because my wifes fenders (Planet bike) have more room for even wider tyres than I am using.

The longboards are sub optimal.
To be clear, I'm agreeing that you should probably get something other than Longboards but I I'm wondering what the tyre size issue is?

I run P45 Longboards (rated for 38mm tyres) with 42mm tyres. In other words, in the real world they permit wider tyres than stated.

Additionally, I achieve this while running with fenders that are very close the tyres (many have said "too close"). Of course the spray coverage is much better the closer you get.

E

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:41 am

My issue with SKS mudguards is the way the stays are attached to the guard. Instead of looping the attachment point over the top of the guard they go under. This allows some of the water that's running down the inside to pushed out onto the stay and straight onto your feet :(

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:45 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:My issue with SKS mudguards is the way the stays are attached to the guard. Instead of looping the attachment point over the top of the guard they go under. This allows some of the water that's running down the inside to pushed out onto the stay and straight onto your feet :(
My SKS Chromoplastics have suffered from two broken bridges on the rear (the piece that attaches to the brake bolt). The material is just too thin. Then the brake bridge ate into the fender due to the vibration. It had to be zip tied.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:41 pm

biker jk wrote:
My SKS Chromoplastics have suffered from two broken bridges on the rear (the piece that attaches to the brake bolt). The material is just too thin. Then the brake bridge ate into the fender due to the vibration. It had to be zip tied.
Happened to me too - either on a set of Bluemells or set of Chromoplastics, can't recall. One of the advantages of metal guards is that this won't happen.

E

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:14 pm

The key to prevent breakages is to not force the shape of the guards to make them fit.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:36 pm

singlespeedscott wrote:The key to prevent breakages is to not force the shape of the guards to make them fit.
Not sure what this means.

Espresso_

Postby Espresso_ » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:58 am

singlespeedscott wrote:The key to prevent breakages is to not force the shape of the guards to make them fit.
Interesting. I did have to persuade mine on the one that broke a little as it had narrow seat stays.

The newer SKS guards have a thicker moulded plastic mount for the rear seat stay bridge, rather than a bendable thin metal bridge clamp previously. It seems a lot more solid and less likely to fatigue, maybe in part because it forces the guard to stay in shape more than the previous approach.

E

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:54 am

Just a quick update on this one....

My wife is now running the new 32c marathon supremes on her 2014 lynskey sportive disc. Just had to upgrade to the 45mm fenders which just fit.

So even though Lynskey says only 28c will fit with fenders, that is being pretty conservative.

I'll be moving to the new marathon supremes in 32c once my 4 seasons need replacing. Might even run them tubeless to see what it is like.