Lynskey Sportive Disc + fenders + rack

Drizt

Re: Lynskey Sportive Disc + fenders + rack

Postby Drizt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:33 am

Tyres are marathon supreme 28c. Wife loves them.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:24 am

Drizt wrote:Tyres are marathon supreme 28c. Wife loves them.
How many km on them now? I am still reeling from the fact they cost me $58 each, and lost both of them to tyre failure within 6 months. Maybe I had a bad batch, or I just had very bad luck. I was hoping they would give me similar protection as the SMP at a fraction of the weight. Right now my tyres weigh more than my frame!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:27 am

About 1600km and they still look new. I got spares ready to go whenever they need replacing. I run 4 seasons myself, excellent tyres.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:34 am

The "Endurance" fork looks to have tons of clearance for bigger tyres, even with fender so I assume the limitation of "max 28" is on the rear, probably the cross bar on the chainstay rather than the seatstay which also seems to have spare space. Do you think larger than 28 is possible, how much larger? I have some nice Marathon Racer 35s that would be good to use if (hopefully soon when) I got a Sportive Disc. Anything your wife would change based on experience to date.

The red bartape looks good
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

trevisl

Postby trevisl » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:01 pm

You're not going to get anything bigger than a 28 on the rear. The chainstays have about 2mm clearance on either side. Plenty of room on the seatstays with about 6mm on each side.

TC
LateStarter wrote:

The "Endurance" fork looks to have tons of clearance for bigger tyres, even with fender so I assume the limitation of "max 28" is on the rear, probably the cross bar on the chainstay rather than the seatstay which also seems to have spare space. Do you think larger than 28 is possible, how much larger? I have some nice Marathon Racer 35s that would be good to use if (hopefully soon when) I got a Sportive Disc. Anything your wife would change based on experience to date.

Perth, Western Australia
2014 Lynskey Sportive Disc - titanium, hydro, Di2, SON dyno

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:20 pm

LateStarter wrote:

You'll need a Cooper CX or Urbanski to get that kind of clearance on the rear.
The Urbanski is the Cooper CX with traditional road cable routing (gear cables running under the downtube and under the BB, and rear brake running down the side of the top tube (8 o'clock position), but is otherwise identical.
If you run fenders I think a 35c is the max, or 37c without.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:42 pm

Just looked up the urban ski very cool.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:39 pm

LateStarter wrote:

We both have sportive discs and we both love them. Jen loves her sram hydro set up and I love my shimano di2 hydro set up.

Would buy again.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:41 pm

Happy riders.

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:22 pm

And mine (Lynskey Sportive Disc) too, had it for two weeks now, was waiting for the new front wheel (like the rear) before posting photo but that might still be weeks away, waiting on the dynamo hub, current FW borrowed from my Vivente Tourer. Have only done 350km so far but that included a 200 which was very good except the saddle , have replaced it with a Selle Anatomica pending something as comfortable but lighter? The bike is certainly the best bike I have ever owned and has moved my comfort / performance up a few notches already. Thanks to all for encouragement along the way

2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:58 am

Nice Build!

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:42 pm

Built by BikePro in Melbourne, it is for my Audax rides (200/300/..?..) and mature legs thus 46/30 rings & 11-36 cassette, (gives almost the same range as my Vivente triple, lose one highest and one lowest gear), TRP Spyre discs. When SON delux dynamo hub and B&M Luxos U arrive the front wheel and light can go back to the Vivente. My first 200 on it resulted in PB moving & elapsed speed/times so hopeful it will do the trick, so far very pleased, just need to ride more.

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:46 pm

Nice bikes!

+1 for Bikepro and +1 for Lynskey

I have my repaired R230 back from Lynskey via Bikepro, both great companies that look after their customers.

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:01 pm

Just a bump as I have a new question.

Hating the front SKS longboard fender. I was only running the rear but the winter weather had me wondering if I'd like a front fender as well. So far, I'm hating it.

The SKS longboard doesn't have a lot of width it has to sit quite high (away from the tyre) which means I toe overlap a lot on slow sharp turns.

I'd like a wider fender for the front so that the fender can get closer to the tyre.

If possible I'd like it so that the stays don't stick out too much past the fender (more toe overlap issues).

What do you guys suggest?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:29 pm

I copped stay overlap with my Zefal Paragons until I got the Dremel out and trimmed them flush with the clips.

Thinking of THESE for my commuter build.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:39 pm

They look pretty good actually. Have you found in good reviews on them? Read that some fenders rattle a lot (like the Bontrager ones)

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:15 pm

I bought small bolt cutters to cut the stays. Works better than the side cutters I had

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:51 pm

I've found no bad reviews, I like that.

Do you use leather washers to attach at the bridge and crown? Quieted my paragons down greatly. Credit Il Padrone for the tip :-)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I've found no bad reviews, I like that.

Do you use leather washers to attach at the bridge and crown? Quieted my paragons down greatly. Credit Il Padrone for the tip :-)
My current fenders don't rattle. I've read reviews on the bontrager units (which looked great) that say they are noisy and annoying :(

trevisl

Postby trevisl » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:03 pm

I have the Lekker hammered aluminium fenders on and I only ever get a tap on the toe on full hair pin bends at less than 5 kmh. They are full length but wrap around the 28" tyre nice and close. I maybe hit my shoe once every couple of months if that.
Perth, Western Australia
2014 Lynskey Sportive Disc - titanium, hydro, Di2, SON dyno

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:05 pm

A classy titanium bike deserves equally classy fenders. Honjo - Koken Hammered are the only choice... :wink:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:06 pm

RonK wrote:A classy titanium bike deserves equally classy fenders. Honjo - Koken Hammered are the only choice... :wink:
Nice...

Wonder what these ones weigh ??

Honjo Fender 700c 35mm Smooth

Espresso_

Lynskey Sportive Disc + fenders + rack

Postby Espresso_ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:42 am

I get that you might want something fancier / metal (I probably would too) but other than that, what's the problem with the Longboards?

I have them and I love them. Their coverage is immense, but it's often the case that installation is part of how mud guard performs.

Mine sit _very_ close the the tyres (perhaps too close) but the coverage is further improved as a result. Also helps with toe overlap, obviously.

E

RonK

Postby RonK » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:05 am

Drizt wrote:
RonK wrote:A classy titanium bike deserves equally classy fenders. Honjo - Koken Hammered are the only choice... :wink:
Nice...

Wonder what these ones weigh ??

Honjo Fender 700c 35mm Smooth
I have hammered - they are alloy and weigh very little.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Drizt

Postby Drizt » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Espresso_ wrote:I get that you might want something fancier / metal (I probably would too) but other than that, what's the problem with the Longboards?

I have them and I love them. Their coverage is immense, but it's often the case that installation is part of how mud guard performs.

Mine sit _very_ close the the tyres (perhaps too close) but the coverage is further improved as a result. Also helps with toe overlap, obviously.

E

The size SKS longboard fender that fits on my bike does not allow the size tyre I want. Basically the design is space inefficient. I know this because my wifes fenders (Planet bike) have more room for even wider tyres than I am using.

The longboards are sub optimal.