Wet shoes, mouldy smell. Ewwww.

find_bruce

Re: Wet shoes, mouldy smell. Ewwww.

Postby find_bruce » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:35 pm

Don't wash me in hot water - I discovered the glue holding the soles on dissolved in hot water. Replacement shoes get cold only
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:42 pm

kb wrote: Front or top loader? We have a front loader and even wrapped in a thick towel, shoes are a bit noisy.
Front. It is very noisy. But I can't imagine it copping too much damage? I do make an effort to stop the cycle before the last spin dry at 1800rpm though. It really only works for fabrics, not solid shoes. It just makes a very loud noise haha.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

r2160

Postby r2160 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:04 pm

There is a product called Nilodour that works great.

http://shop.coles.com.au/online/nationa ... oncentrate" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks for the tips. Glad I didn't clean the shoes during the week as the commute home was a bit of a wet one. I've got them sitting in a bucket of water and couple of cap fulls of bleach so I'll see how that goes. I also have disinfectant so if that doesn't work I'll give that a go.

Now to see if overshoes will keep the shoes a bit drier on the wet commutes.

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:13 pm

If it's decently raining they just gain you an extra 5 mins.

am50em

Postby am50em » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:27 pm

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:39 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
kb wrote: Front or top loader? We have a front loader and even wrapped in a thick towel, shoes are a bit noisy.
Front. It is very noisy. But I can't imagine it copping too much damage? I do make an effort to stop the cycle before the last spin dry at 1800rpm though. It really only works for fabrics, not solid shoes. It just makes a very loud noise haha.

Makes me think of this-

"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:00 pm

febreeze!

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:01 pm

I had this problem with my last pair of shoes, brought on during a long, very hot spell that left my shoes soaked with sweat for weeks. In the end, I bought a new pair of shoes, but on the way home (with the new shoes on the back seat of the car), I stopped into a chemists and asked a motherly type about the problem - always choose someone who looks old enough to be suffering teenage sons but not so old they've left home. She knew exactly what I meant only in her case, it was her son's sports shoes.

The answer was OdourOut... I think, the label has fallen off my current bottle. It's a white power. Killed the odour in very short time and after a few weeks, I stopped using it. Now, whenever I get a whiff of problem, I simply shake some in liberally and the problem goes away. Magic stuff.

Take thee to thy chemist and look for OdourOut... or something in an orange bottle with a name that sounds similar -the blurb on the bottle includes de-ponging shoes as one of it's virtues.

Or ask some motherly type for help.

BTW, I wore those shoes until they fell apart, then started wearing the ones I'd bought because the first ones stank so much even the dog wrinkled his nose at them. :oops:
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

frankn

Postby frankn » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:17 am

Take out insole, wash separately. Bi-carbonate soda powder , liberally sprinkled inside shoes leave for days, clean and follow with Glen20. Repeat as necessary. Might work

chicane_au

Postby chicane_au » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:55 am

Get yourself some full-length mudguards (eg. SKS Longboards) and some shoe covers (velotoze/etc) and prevent them getting so wet and stinky in the first place. The water that they are getting soaked with is probably dirty as and combined with sweat, making a nice bacterial petri-dish of grossness!

-bucket soak with disinfectant
-then gentle machine wash with nappisan

Cheers!