How would you get across this intersection?

TigerFilly

Postby TigerFilly » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:11 pm

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.967 ... a=!3m1!1e3
I cross this intersection every time I ride to and from work. In the afternoon I have to get from the end of the bike path from the city, which finishes on the footpath of the North East corner (on the North side of the train line), right over to the South West corner of the intersection on the South side of the train line (to turn off to the right).

The simplest thing would be to join the line of cars heading North to South across the intersection, then pull over and cross through the pedestrian tunnel that goes under the overpass, but there is always a big line of cars turning left and there is a green turn left arrow which lasts for ages, so I'm to chicken to sit there holding up the line waiting for the straight ahead green light with cars backed up behind me.

Sometimes I wheel my bike across the railway crossing North to South, then wait for the pedestrian light, then go under the tunnel.
Sometimes I cross with the bike light East-West, then North-South, then hop off and cross the train line. This can take up to 10 minutes if there is a train or two coming.

I have considered joining the traffic turning right into Cross Road, and veering to end on the diagonal corner, but I don't think it's legal to cross the train line that way.

Anyway just curious, as none of my solutions every feel very satisfactory as it's close to home and always feels like the biggest drag to spend 10 mins crossing the road.

find_bruce

Re: How would you get across this intersection?

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:59 am

I am confused - I thought the city was to the North West (top right). Are you riding on the shared path alongside South Rd, heading South ? If so, what about joiing the road a bit earlier & using the right turning lane ?

Edit: I am confused - top right is north east, don't mind me
Last edited by find_bruce on Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:32 pm

TigerFilly wrote:.

I have considered joining the traffic turning right into Cross Road, and veering to end on the diagonal corner, but I don't think it's legal to cross the train line that way.

I think I would do this, but I haven't rode through it so can't say for sure. It would depend on your sense of safety. I'll try and check it out next time I drive or cycle that way.

Bruce cbd is north east of that intersection.

Bentnose

Re: How would you get across this intersection?

Postby Bentnose » Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm

I could be wrong, but to me it looks like you are basically turning right, two options.

A hook turn from Croos Rd, meaning you would have to cross the railway line twice.

Wait till the south bound traffic has a red light and cross over the road to the front of the left turning traffic, in the middle of the lane, proceed with all speed when a green arrow appears, peel off to the left hand side when appropriate. It's a bit of a bugger because you have to stay to the right of the rail line and the cars go through in line with it, at least that's what it looks like on Google maps.
No signature