fat and old

2015 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby fat and old » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:23 pm

As per jasonc's quote
just create one.
Thread created :D

Lets see if I last the year out.....

Do I have to ask for this to be a sticky? Edit....linky

https://www.endomondo.com/challenges/19529009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TailWind

Re: 2015 ACF Commuting Challenge (AT) Endomondo

Postby TailWind » Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:04 pm

fat and old wrote: Thread created :D
Thanks f&o, I fear my contributions to this thread, as well as my mileage, may be somewhat limited this year :(
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:08 pm

I'm in...once I worked out how to join...hadn't set up country on my endomondo account
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:18 pm

Made a start today, the usual 38 or so KMs. We'll see how well I can compete with those who ride a long way to work.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:19 am

Just spotted this so i'm in, just hope I remember to upload the rides
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

Milar

Postby Milar » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:41 am

OK I'm in. Will just need to get used to uploading to Endomondo too.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:04 am

What are the rules in regards to commuting? If say my ride to/from work is around 20kms but I decide to extend it by doing a loop of a lake or a trip down the road before I head up it again - anything that could add an additional 20-50kms to the ride - does that make those rides ineligible for the challenge?
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AndreB1972

Postby AndreB1972 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:24 am

TailWind wrote: Thanks f&o, I fear my contributions to this thread, as well as my mileage, may be somewhat limited this year :(
Happy new year TW. At least you're in the lead for now :-) My work commitments will probably get in the way of commuting like the end of last year. BTW - congrats on taking out last years challenge :!:

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:27 am

AndreB1972 wrote:Happy new year TW. At least you're in the lead for now :-) My work commitments will probably get in the way of commuting like the end of last year. BTW - congrats on taking out last years challenge :!:
Thanks Andre, hope 2015 is good for you too!
Just made the 2014 top spot by a whisker - had a few more work days left than Jason.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:47 am

Would like to join- but what do I need to do- what is endomondo, another strava?

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:03 am

Its more of a ride / workout recording app, which has similarities to Strava, but with far less features (and I suspect popularity) than Strava.

Assuming you upload to Garmin Connect, you can easily set up Endomondo to automatically download from connect. I'm guessing that you'd need to log in and tag them as 'transport' rides for your stats to end up in the challenge.

Edit: Auto connect to garmin is in the Settings -> Connect tab on the page.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:26 pm

Grgic wrote:What are the rules in regards to commuting? If say my ride to/from work is around 20kms but I decide to extend it by doing a loop of a lake or a trip down the road before I head up it again - anything that could add an additional 20-50kms to the ride - does that make those rides ineligible for the challenge?
You need Jason to chime in here, but my understanding is yes, they qualify.

There's a good selection of Q&A on what qualifies and what doesn't in the first few pages of the 2014 thread.

I'm currently last :lol: and don't start work/commuting for two weeks.

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:42 pm

oxonabike wrote:Its more of a ride / workout recording app, which has similarities to Strava, but with far less features (and I suspect popularity) than Strava.

Assuming you upload to Garmin Connect, you can easily set up Endomondo to automatically download from connect. I'm guessing that you'd need to log in and tag them as 'transport' rides for your stats to end up in the challenge.

Okay- but I don't use Garmin connect- just load straight to Strava.

Strydz

Postby Strydz » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:49 pm

CXCommuter wrote:
oxonabike wrote:Its more of a ride / workout recording app, which has similarities to Strava, but with far less features (and I suspect popularity) than Strava.

I don't use Endomondo either but will now just for this, you can upload it straight from your Garmin when its plugged into the computer so its just like Strava in that sense.
1983-Batavus Professional-Reynolds 531c
1990-Flanders-Columbus SLX
2014-Giant TCR SL

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:53 pm

Strydz wrote:
CXCommuter wrote:

I don't use Endomondo either but will now just for this, you can upload it straight from your Garmin when its plugged into the computer so its just like Strava in that sense.
Cool will give it a go- thanks

In and up and running..As Josh Lloyd my other name
Last edited by CXCommuter on Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:59 pm

I run endomondo on my phone for the sake of commuting, it's accurate enough for the total mileage, plus it syncs with my Bluetooth headphones and heart rate monitor and provides audio feedback every 1km (or on demand). Saves me having to remember to upload, but you can do it with Garmin data also.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Just a tip for all the newbies to the challenge/endomondo, make sure you select your workout as " cycling - transport" or the mileage will not get picked up for the challenge. If you mistakenly pick the wrong option (like leaving it on running) you can go into the workout and edit to change to cycling - transport and the kms will automatically update to the challenge

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:32 pm

rules:

the rules last year: it counts if it's a journey that replaces another means of transport. i.e. to the shops, to work, to the pub (TW). but a ride where you start and finish at home for no other reason but fitness doesn't count as "cycling: transport"

extended commuting also counts. that's the only thing that kept me in the game with TW last year

clear as mud?

am back commuting the last 2 days - happy to say am coming last (14th). will see what happens over the next month.

edit: select cycling transport for it to count. the challenge is still open it. i'll close it at the end of next week and after that you'll have to hassle me to get added. i'll then also remove the country requirement (for our overseas members and TW)
I upload straight from my garmin. gave up using the phone a while ago now.

great to see some new names in there this year

westab

Postby westab » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:05 am

Well the first ride to work is over for the year - It's great to be back on the challenge again this year. With work conferences leave and many other things the year will be off to a slower than usual start for me.

Welcome all those have not joined before - enjoy the challenge; regardless of how many kms you do - it's just a bit of fun and for me a just another thing to keep me going over those winter months.

ps. If you don't have a smart phone / gps etc it is very simple to just upload weekly kms in endo - thats what I usually do.
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jan 12, 2015 12:54 pm

I ride further than I have to so I can meet my KM goal for the year. But, as Jason says above, it does count as these rides are commuting to work, going to the shops or the like. So, the ride would not happen unless I needed to do the travel. Adding some extra to the commute should count as the ride is for transport purposes.

I just upload daily and manually as I just have an old fashioned cycle computer. Manual uploads are easy enough.

Will fall behind this week as I have the week off although I am probably going to ride to my daughter's work for lunch tomorrow which will count as it is transport.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:42 am

Still last :lol:

Start work next Monday so I can't really complain :mrgreen: although I've been doing a fair bit of "commuting" whilst on holis if going out to get breakfast counts :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:52 am

fat and old wrote:I've been doing a fair bit of "commuting" whilst on holis if going out to get breakfast counts :lol:
i'd say that would be a borderline

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:17 am

Thinking I might have to move further out of town
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:33 am

I may as well join this year. Be a lazy start for me, might go back to work this week, if not there is always next week
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Tue Jan 13, 2015 11:41 am

Pretty close up at the top, I've got 6 1/2 days in so far and in the mix, whilst the weather is bang in perfect in Perth I'm going to try and get as much I can. Legs are protesting a little after I had 3 full weeks of the bike over the break though