Perfect commuting tyre choice....

ngalbrai

Perfect commuting tyre choice....

Postby ngalbrai » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:53 pm

What is the perfect commuting tyre setup? Have run Specialized armadillos in London, virtually indestructible but if you do get a flat you need a bloody crowbar to get the bastards off. Plus they are lethal in the wet. More conventional all-purpose slicks, yeah, better handling but quite prone to punctures. Very expensive light tubeless wheels and very expensive tubeless tires, yeah, they feel sublime and the sealant will protect you to some extent but when you do get a puncture or a slow puncture you have to put a tube in. Getting fresh sealant in and using a compressor to blast the tyre securely onto the rims is devil’s own job and decent bike shops in Sydney CBD are, well, non-existent, so getting someone to do it for you involves booking in several days before you know you need someone to do this for you. Most annoying. I am beginning to think that decent conventional wheels with a robust yet grippy 700*25/28 for ease of removal and refitting is probably the best answer but I really don’t want to swap wheels, the Stan’s no tubes ones I have are ace. I find it surprising that there is no clever puncture resistant solid tyre available that feel nearly as good as an air filled one but will never let you down.

MattyK

Re: Perfect commuting tyre choice....

Postby MattyK » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Thoglette

Re: Perfect commuting tyre choice....

Postby Thoglette » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:55 pm

ngalbrai wrote:What is the perfect commuting tyre setup?

You answered your own question: Put the tubeless tyres in the bin and put some standard tyres back on. You should be able to mount them on the existing wheels.

Which tyres has been done to death in this thread

Here comes another one, here it comes again.

The physics on why these are (likely to be) crap is straight forward - no evidence that this one's any different.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ