Bike Crossings and the Law

Irish Yobbo

Bike Crossings and the Law

Postby Irish Yobbo » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:09 pm

Hi all,

I've been riding for a while , but I'm new to this forum. Last week we had a police 'crackdown' on a bike crossing in Hobart, where there is a single bike crossing near a main road. The reason there was a crackdown is that many cyclists just check for traffic and ride though. It's a single slip-lane so reasonably safe, and only green for a few seconds every few minutes, which is why so many people go through. Anyway, they caught 28 people in the morning riding through the red light.

It got me wondering - what kind of crossings are around in other cities? As far as I know, this is the only one in Hobart, and I honestly can't see the point. It's right next to the pedestrian crossing, so when pedestrians walk, cyclists can ride. The only reason it's there is that's where the bike track runs, but before it was there, cyclists used the pedestrian crossing which functions the same way, so no different. Is this the norm throughout the country?

human909

Re: Bike Crossings and the Law

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:43 pm

Irish Yobbo wrote:Is this the norm throughout the country?

I wouldn't say there is such this as the "norm" throughout the country.

However I would say that most bicycle crossing have horrible bicycle priority, long wait times and largely do not assist cyclists at all. This seems especially true of the Sydney cyclway treatments.

It also is fairly normal for the police to target and fine cyclists for doing completely safe things.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:58 pm

I rode my bike (part way) into work for the first time this morning and noticed that I was very much among the minority of cyclists waiting for a green light before crossing roads, then again, this was at around 0630 when traffic (both 4 wheels and 2) was relatively light.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Oh oh.. We've got a whinging prom and an Irish yobbo in the same thread.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:41 pm

And human909 is a robot isn't he? Its the setup for a great joke!

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:20 pm

yugyug wrote:And human909 is a robot isn't he? Its the setup for a great joke!

The name was created more as an Orwellian reference. But a robot/android can equally work. So on that note......

A robot and whinging pon and and Irish yobbo walking into a bar....

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:51 am

Orwell... I thought it was a reference to the Roland 909 drum machine. You're not an ex-doofer? Or a robot!?

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:39 pm

Irish Yobbo wrote:Hi all,

I've been riding for a while , but I'm new to this forum. Last week we had a police 'crackdown' on a bike crossing in Hobart, where there is a single bike crossing near a main road. The reason there was a crackdown is that many cyclists just check for traffic and ride though. It's a single slip-lane so reasonably safe, and only green for a few seconds every few minutes, which is why so many people go through. Anyway, they caught 28 people in the morning riding through the red light.

It got me wondering - what kind of crossings are around in other cities? As far as I know, this is the only one in Hobart, and I honestly can't see the point. It's right next to the pedestrian crossing, so when pedestrians walk, cyclists can ride. The only reason it's there is that's where the bike track runs, but before it was there, cyclists used the pedestrian crossing which functions the same way, so no different. Is this the norm throughout the country?

Not sure of the design of it, but there is no rule against entering the road from a road related area a few metres up the road from the crossing, going several metres down the road, then turning right, back onto a road related area :)

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:15 pm

yugyug wrote:Orwell... I thought it was a reference to the Roland 909 drum machine. You're not an ex-doofer? Or a robot!?

Sorry to disappoint. Maybe we need a thread for this... A yugyug search turns up bollywood:

InTheWoods wrote:Not sure of the design of it, but there is no rule against entering the road from a road related area a few metres up the road from the crossing, going several metres down the road, then turning right, back onto a road related area :)

:wink:

In other words, there is not law mandating that you must use the crossing. And the crossing lights only apply to those using the crossing. :lol:

I do a similar things on the Capital City Trail crossings in Melbourne. Park St is often faster and you don't have to obey the crossing lights that are 15m away.

Irish Yobbo

Postby Irish Yobbo » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:07 pm

human909 wrote:In other words, there is not law mandating that you must use the crossing. And the crossing lights only apply to those using the crossing. :lol:

I do a similar things on the Capital City Trail crossings in Melbourne. Park St is often faster and you don't have to obey the crossing lights that are 15m away.

That's pretty funny really. It was a $100 on the spot fine in this case for riding over the crossing. It's also a $66 fine for a pedestrian, but the police didn't care about that.

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:04 pm

I ride this cycleway everyday, and have been watching the police and what they do at that intersection.
It came to a head the other day when I ended up talking to one of the officers about this.

This is how it went down.

I pull up at the crossing, press the button and wait patiently for the light to change from dont walk, to walk.
Two police officers on the other side watching me, waiting for cyclists to catch running the red.

As I wait patiently, a jogger runs right past me, straight onto and across the road on the 'DONT WALK' signal.
I holler out to the two officers "HEY"! and point to the jogger, The police officers part and let the jogger straight though.

The light goes green, and I proceed to ride aross the road and one of the officers put his arm out to stop me and says to me "That guy, the jogger. He was OK to cross because the light was still flashing".
I replied - "Well, that's actually wrong. If the light is flashing red it means that you can continue to cross if you are already on the road. But if it is flashing you cannot step of the curb out onto the road. That's why I hollered. I figured if you are to catch people misusing the crossing it might help if you actually understood how a pedestraian crossing worked. Dont you think"?
"Haven't got time for smartasses. On ya bike mate" He says and waved me off and turned his back.
"I haven't got time for people who cant do their job properly that I am paying them to do". I reply as I ride off.

In hindsight, yeah I admit I was being a d7ck about it.
But, I dont think it is too much to ask for a trained officer of the law understand the basic workings of a pedestrian crossing. Espescially if it is their actual assigned post.

Also, the crossing is poorly designed, and I'll explain why.

As the cycleway approaches the crossing, it is a two way cycleway. Just like a minature version of the road as they have just divided the footpath into left and right coming and going lanes. Easy.
However, at the crossing of the road, the lines on the road continue to flow across just as they were painted on the footpath, but for the small portion of the actual road crossing it now changes to have all cycle traffic going both directions funnelled into the right lane only, and pedestrians only in the left lane.
So, as I go to ride across the road I have to now ride head on into oncoming cyclists and try and avoid a collison.
Then, when you get to the other sideand onto the footpath again, it becomes proper left and right coming and going lanes as it was before.

So what is happening, cyclists are continuing to travel in the left continuus lane as it crosses the road, simply following the same path that they have been travelling for the last 20kms, but now has become the 'pedestrian only' lane for 5 metres and people are getting booked for not riding across the 'cycle only crossing'.

Its an effing joke.

So, now I just turn left at the intersection and head down hunter street and come back around and avoid the crossing entirely. I'd recommend everyone do the same.

wellington_street

Postby wellington_street » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:07 pm

Looking at the above crossing on Streetview (think I have the right spot):
http://goo.gl/maps/Zatnc

I would question whether those markings have any legal relevance whatsoever.