DIY Cycle path maintenance

Timeonabike

DIY Cycle path maintenance

Postby Timeonabike » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:11 am

G'day,

Does anyone else out there do any maintenance on their commute route?

The other day I found myself cutting low hanging branches and sweeping sand off some tight bends on my usual route (not from the bike, mark you), as I was tired of waiting for the council to do this.

Cheers,

Time

find_bruce

Re: DIY Cycle path maintenance

Postby find_bruce » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:07 pm

Well done that man, have 3 internet karma points.

I share your frustration, but not yet to the extent of doing anything about it.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:12 pm

My mate and I did a 'sweep' of a strava segment we were targeting (A little competition between our group haha). It was super windy so we removed falled branches and 'tucked' away some of the ones that were hanging loose or about to go. Does that count?
Specialized Secteur
Kona Hei Hei
Cannondale Synapse
Hillbrick Pista
Ebike :)

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:18 pm

I've been tempted at times to walk down to the local track with my petrol hedge/line trimmer... but then usually the council does it shortly afterwards.

Usually I just send an email to the council though.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:00 pm

Always stop and clear fallen branches or other obstacles.
I've been known to kick larger chunks of bogan glitter off paths too...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 pm

yep....not the commute path...just the race track. removed one dead snake, one dead snake that wasn't (surprise!), 2 very alive sun baking snakes, many dead cane toads, tufts of grass growing in cracks in the corners, low hanging tree branches, about 10 broken spirit bottles after some low lives must have had a bender in the shelter overnight and decided it was a good idea to smash their empties all over the finish line.

and I ask myself often, why don't I ever see anyone else cleaning up stuff?

BandedRail

Postby BandedRail » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:28 pm

There is a willow tree that hangs over a path on a corner (near the Maylands Yacht Club for those who know the area) that I have to trim at least twice a year otherwise cyclists swing onto the wrong side of the path to avoid it and oncoming cyclists don't even know they are there until it's too late. The council has never trimmed that tree in the 9 years I've been cycling past it (but they happily spray all the creek-banks just when the moaning frogs are out and about :( ). I trim other trees and shrubs when I do the willow (have secateurs, will travel :D ). I used to take a broom with a retractable handle out once a week to clear glass, sand etc but the handle broke and I haven't been able to track down a replacement. And yes, picking up other peoples stuff is an all too common event (inner tubes - if you can't be bothered carrying the punctured one at least put it in a bin).

rolandp

Postby rolandp » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Yes, sweeping of glass/sand, movement of fallen branches, reporting of hazards and even went so far to develop a web application to record such items several years ago.

As a minimum, report the hazard. The more who do, should make the item more visible with the authority.

Dirty32

Postby Dirty32 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:01 am

Not so much cycle path, but I have stopped off with a dustpan and brush (in a car) to clear up the remains of a pretty sorry looking bus shelter, close to home and on my most direct cycling route. You know those ones that get smashed by some unsociable drunk, walking home in the early hours into about a million little fragments of glass or whatever material it is... It tends to spread onto the road fairly quickly and easily.

But thats about it...!

Edit: spelling.
Last edited by Dirty32 on Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

m@
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby m@ » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Calvin27 wrote:My mate and I did a 'sweep' of a strava segment we were targeting (A little competition between our group haha). It was super windy so we removed falled branches and 'tucked' away some of the ones that were hanging loose or about to go. Does that count?

Not if you put it all back afterwards to protect your KOM ;)
ALL THE ABOVEIS TRUE

harmonix1234

Postby harmonix1234 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:24 pm

I'm forever knocking on the front doors of houses asking to borrow a broom to sweep broken glass off the cycleway.

Timeonabike

Postby Timeonabike » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:25 pm

Clarification - I do this stuff only after losing patience with the relevant council after the notification...City of Cockburn = good turnaround; City of Melville = bad to non-existent.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:04 pm

I'm often tempted to smooth out a bit of path where it goes over a road. Where the beach bike path crosses the road at the end of North Rd in Brighton the "ramp" from the path to the road is a gutter. I sometimes wonder if I should concrete over the gutter to make it smooth.

DS

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

malnar

Postby malnar » Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:19 pm

Someone's put a couple of bits of tar on some shallow gutters that cross the Federation Trail in Laverton Nth. Good job. [emoji106]

fatherofmany
Location: Central Coast NSW Australia 33°26'16"S 151°20'39.50"E ish

Postby fatherofmany » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:53 am

Removed a 2 foot long piece of re-bar from the cycle 'lane' on friday afternoon.

Rode past it on Thursday, swinging wide at the last moment to avoid it but when it was still there on Friday I had to stop & move it to the council strip where a nice council man will probably find it with his mower.
15 Bikes 2 adults 6 children, 2 dogs, 10 chooks and a heck of a lot of fish

PatNZ

Postby PatNZ » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:32 pm

fatherofmany wrote:Removed a 2 foot long piece of re-bar from the cycle 'lane' on friday afternoon.

Rode past it on Thursday, swinging wide at the last moment to avoid it but when it was still there on Friday I had to stop & move it to the council strip where a nice council man will probably find it with his mower.

I did some thing similar yesterday. I removed a brick that still had mortar around it from the cycle path.

sobmal

Postby sobmal » Fri May 01, 2015 8:38 am

My last weeks worth of commutes have been spent clearing my routes hard shoulder of trees and debris.

It really bugs me that while so many trees fell the week before last that while they can clear the road for cars pretty quick, that the contractors, SES and the emergency services clear the road, that they think that it is acceptable to just push it all onto the hard shoulder, creating a very dangerous situation for cycling commuters.

I'm considering doing a stealth chainsaw mission this weekend and clear the bits that I have been unable to break/bend back off the hard shoulder.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri May 01, 2015 9:59 am

sobmal wrote:My last weeks worth of commutes have been spent clearing my routes hard shoulder of trees and debris.

It really bugs me that while so many trees fell the week before last that while they can clear the road for cars pretty quick, that the contractors, SES and the emergency services clear the road, that they think that it is acceptable to just push it all onto the hard shoulder, creating a very dangerous situation for cycling commuters.

I'm considering doing a stealth chainsaw mission this weekend and clear the bits that I have been unable to break/bend back off the hard shoulder.

Why stealth mission? Just do it.

I cleared a couple of branches off the foreshore path last week after the storm, but it was a futile attempt really considering the ones I couldn't move. To the council's credit though the path was cleared very quickly, even though most of the clearing was simply shoving stuff back off the path.

I've found that easy jobs tend to happen quite quickly in response to a request, but the tricky ones can take some time as they can get bette bang for buck fixing several easy ones than one tricky one. You do need to report them though, a council will not be liable for injury if they don't know about a hazard. It's only when they've been notified that they can be liable and they can't fix something they don't know about. I know I'd rather have my rates spent on doing stuff than looking for stuff too,
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Fri May 01, 2015 5:09 pm

It depends. If it's something that causing an immediate danger (shopping trolley across a dark path), I'll move it. Otherwise, I'll email councillors for my ward and ask them to do something for my vote.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri May 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Would the council object to laying your own concrete over a small section of gravel path I wonder or would that over the top with diy cycle path maintenance? I'm getting nowhere with requesting the council to do it and feel like getting a couple of bags if cement in a wheel barrow the stones are already there mix it up toss it down with bit of water...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Sydney Cyclist

Postby Sydney Cyclist » Wed May 06, 2015 3:24 pm

rodneycc wrote:Would the council object to laying your own concrete over a small section of gravel path I wonder or would that over the top with diy cycle path maintenance? I'm getting nowhere with requesting the council to do it and feel like getting a couple of bags if cement in a wheel barrow the stones are already there mix it up toss it down with bit of water...

I wonder when/if they would notice.

I have been watching the grass area adjacent to the bike path on my commute slowly turn into a garden.
The guy seems quite a gardener. I only saw him out there once, working away.
Not sure what the council will do when they work it out.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed May 06, 2015 5:54 pm

I've done a bit of judicious pruning in the past where new plantings were in just the right spot to obscure crossing traffic at City West station. Enough unavoidable hazards there without adding foliage.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed May 06, 2015 10:55 pm

In my street there is a blocked off bit of road. It just had a small bluestone barrier. Some neighbours put up a fence. Haven't heard boo from the council. In any case, if they rip it down, it will be rebuilt . . . until the council gives up. They are much better off leaving things like this well alone.

I think the moral of this story is just go for it. If they rip up your concrete just put it down again.

DS

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Wed May 13, 2015 12:33 pm

Bus stops, broken bottles and cycle paths seem to go together with flat tyres. Cleaned up a couple on the way to work...

Doesn't seem to make a difference though, probably the same people drinking cheap garbage and catching public transport. So glad to be able to cycle and not have to endure their behavior as well!

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:18 pm

Shock, Horror. The Council just emailed me back after like not hearing from them in 6 months saying they have completed the finance request and will seal the small section I requested to be done in early 2016. Wow didn't see that coming.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL