Commuter Backpack

Justinjd79

Commuter Backpack

Postby Justinjd79 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:54 pm

Hi all,

New here.

As I am about to start my daily cycle commute to work (15km), I would like to know if anyone can suggest a good backpack that can easily fit and keep corporate work clothes uncreased? All I will have is pants, shirt, shoes, food...

I was looking at this and it seems perfect:

http://henty.cc/shop/wingman-backpack/

Does anyone know of another/cheaper option?

Thanks,

Justin

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Commuter Backpack

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:54 pm

Tracy did a review of the Henty Wingman for BNA and I understand that it is going to be hard to beat.

Bluejay87

Postby Bluejay87 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:15 pm

A guy at work had that but said it was good in theory but in reality your clothes will still get a bit creased. I think the best option is to keep a stash of clothes at work that you replenish through weekly or fortnightly car trips or visiting local dry cleaner.

You can then reduce your load to just food and get a more standard and comfortable bag. I got a deuter off wiggle which I can't fault.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:13 pm

I've got a deuter bag also, I commute 28kms each way and my carefully folded clothes look fine at the end of the journey, plus it's comfortable and has the integrated rain cover

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:31 pm

I go for do a once a week drive in. Usually they will give you car park access to drop of clothes on the week. That's how I did it. Suits dry cleaned in city. You just need 10 outfits. Take 5 in take 5 home. Added bonus is you might get free city Parking for the weekend

I think it's hard to find a bag that wouldn't crease.. I tried but still had to iron my shirt when I got in.

Good luck

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:34 am

I run a Camelbak Octane 14+ pack, don't think they make them anymore though. It is big enough for a small lunch pack, a few shirts, some underwear and maybe trousers.

Careful folding keeps the shirts in reasonable condition, but what really helps is making sure they live in my locker for a few days before wearing. Lately I drive two days per week so stock up with gear on the drive days, but during school holidays its riding 5/week and I usually load up one day per week and travel light (lunch only) the rest.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

diventare

Postby diventare » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:58 am

Robinho wrote:I've got a deuter bag also, I commute 28kms each way and my carefully folded clothes look fine at the end of the journey, plus it's comfortable and has the integrated rain cover

+1

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:01 pm

I carry shirts in a hard case designed for a 13" laptop. Slips into my back pack no worries. I'm either on the moto our the pushie so bring shirts whenever and hang them as soon as possible.

mick243

Postby mick243 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:48 pm

I tried a multitude of commuter backpacks...... by far the best was a rack and pannier bags....

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:59 pm

I currently use a Le Coq Sportif backpack, my review below

http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=32534

external

Postby external » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:19 pm

I commute every day and find rolling the best. I will fold the arms down across the back of the shirt, lay my pants on top and then roll around a cardboard tube. All the clothes go into a plastic bag to keep them protected in case anything from lunch leaks. Never had any problems with creases unless I do it the night before and am a bit rough with the folding.
Shoes stay at work. I also keep a back set of clothes at work in case anything goes wrong or I forget something.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:54 pm

I'm a pannier convert, however it still doesn't solve the creasing issue.

It all depends on what facilities you have at work. We have a iron at work so the shirts get folded and the put in the panniers.

Tim Mifsud

Postby Tim Mifsud » Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:06 pm

I have an iron at work with ironing board. A cheap hanging rack that fits in a cupboard, a knock about commuter bike with panniers and Ortleib bags. No more unbalanced heavy backpack. Take the clothes in and out on one day, and food on another day. Other three days I ride unloaded on the other road race bike I have. Best way to do it I have found. Been commuting for over 12 months now 12km in, 12km home. On road bike days, I ride extra km for training. As for food, I plan it. Frozen soups for lunch, bananas and oats for brekky. Fruit for snacks. But that's just me.

herzog

Postby herzog » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 am

Even better, if you can leave a bunch of shirts at work - permanently.

Then find a laundromat or drycleaners near work who does the "5 shirts washed and ironed for $15" deal. Most of them have something similar. I get mine done in the Sydney CBD, so it's very rare that I need to shuttle any clothes between work and home.

tivoenator

Postby tivoenator » Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:39 am

I run my own business and work at clients premises, because of this I tend to work a for a few days at one place and then move on to the next job. So I don't have a regular place of work so that's counts out storing clothes at work. I do have a bike park in the city which also includes shower facilities.

I've tried a few different backpacks and folding methods to try and minimise creasing. Rolling your clothes makes a slight improvement. However my biggest tip is that once you get dressed, turn on the shower full hot for 30 seconds and the steam will make every crease in the clothes you're wearing instantly fall out.

rusty842

Postby rusty842 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:05 pm

Or hang the clothes whilst you shower. That's the trick I have picked up travelling in business. Once you arrive. Hang out business shirts in bathroom. No fan and hot water for 15 minutes. Works a charm.

herzog

Postby herzog » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:41 am

I travel overseas a lot for work and I've tried this hanging shirts in the shower trick several times and it has never worked. There's been no appreciable affect.

Is there a trick to it?

What I have found *does* work is put your shirts on their hangers, and cover them in a batch of 3-5 in the same plastic sleeve that the dry cleaners return your clothes in. Fold once and pack on top everything else in the suitcase.

This pretty much stops them getting wrinkled.

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:36 am

The DHB range seems pretty good, been using the 30lt for over a week and so far, fairly happy considering the price. Any 'soft' bags will provide problems when packing business attire clothes, they just get crumpled and not to mention creases.. one way is to get wrinkle free shirts and maybe a small handheld steamer for the office? Alternatively, I've seen guys hanging their shirts at the back on their commutes...but each to their own

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:02 am

mick243 wrote:I tried a multitude of commuter backpacks...... by far the best was a rack and pannier bags....

+1

Careful rolling of the clothes and using a pair instead of a single avoids cramming thus preventing clothes from creasing. Using a pair also allows keeping food and clothes separate. I can say from experience that leakage from a food container is not a good mix with work clothes.

The one relatively minor downside of panniers are that in stationary traffic, you have to be cognisant of the extra width caused by the panniers. However, Overall, in my opinion the benefits of panniers in comparison to a backpack, are greater.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:54 pm

I seem to be fine with creasing etc with my Topeak trunk bag, you can't force anything into the bag though, and you need your shirts on top. folding carefully seems to be fine for me. Maybe I have lower standards for my presentation, but they aren't THAT low :lol:

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:03 pm

As a self employed labourer, I find creasing to be of little issue. 8)

Carting steel caps around in the backpack however.....

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:09 pm

jaseyjase wrote:I currently use a Le Coq Sportif backpack, my review below

http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=32534

thanks for the detailed review. looks to be very reasonably priced. is it big enough to store a laptop (say .. 15-inch monitor)?
i'm comparing between that and http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-slice-30l-rucksack/.

I do have a rack and trunk bag .. but they only fit on my "wet" commuting bike (with mudguards, etc ..).
with my "dry" CX commuter, it doesn't have the necessary threads for a pannier rack.
also, the trunk bag is too small for a laptop.

a backpack is the only option when bringing work home & switching between bikes. but i'm not too fond of the wet/damp back after a commute though .. :P
(i'm currently using an 18-yo North Face hiking backpack that appears to be on its last legs.) therefore now looking for a replacement backpack with some support or aeration.

i don't have any issues with creases 'cos my work place does provide ironing facilities.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:48 am

https://www.alpkit.com/featured/backpacks

Waterproof and as light as you can possibly get. Despite its looks its actually quite comfy, I commute more than most on this forum and I find it perfect.
Due to the material you can also iron on reflective stickers - which I have done.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:07 pm

caneye wrote:thanks for the detailed review. looks to be very reasonably priced. is it big enough to store a laptop (say .. 15-inch monitor)?
i'm comparing between that and http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-slice-30l-rucksack/.

Theres a dedicated laptop sleeve inside, so also padded. id say it should fit a laptop.

I dont carry one but ill mock up a picture with my old laptop i have at home, pretty sure it will fit.

That DHB looks good for the money.

sogood

Postby sogood » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:16 pm

Buy iron free shirts! Been wearing them for a decade and more. Never a creasing issue on international trips when wisely folded and packed in my compact carryon. As previously said, hang on arrival.
Bianchi, Ridley, Montague, GT, Garmin and All things Apple :)
RK wrote:And that is Wikipedia - I can write my own definition.