Dynamo hub + lights - anyone using?

rangersac

Re: Dynamo hub + lights - anyone using?

Postby rangersac » Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:16 am

Yeah, I had issues with standlights on B+Ms Toplines as well, which is why I opted for a Hermanns. Two years down the track seems to have vindicated that decision. Mind you the missus' Secula seems to be behaving itself.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:23 am

I've been using Dynamo lights for years. The recumbent has a SON hub and the Brompton a Shimano.

I had an early version of the IQ Fly on the 'bent but just bought an 80 Lux IQ Cyo from Abbotsford Cycles (very quick service, knowledgeable people, more expensive than buying overseas but a lot quicker delivery) and I love it.

The fly didn't have enough oomph or the right beam shape for the twisty unlit bits of the Cook's River Path (not for my old eyes anyway) but the Cyo does. Big rectangular beam lights up the road well ahead and wide near field shows edges close by. At some point I need to check if the standlight is officially legal by seeing if the 2 bright LEDs are visible from 200m. I think they will be, but be nice to be sure.

The Toplight rear has been on this 'bent and its predecessor for I think about 8 years now and has never caused trouble in all that time. The Toplght line rear has been on the Brom for 5 years and has also been trouble free.

I am on the waiting list for Greenspeed's new 20" wheel trike and am seriously considering putting a Velologic rim dynamo on that as while GS can fit Sturmey Archer drum brake dynamos to their trikes it does affect the wheel removal and general wheel design as they got all fancy with the GT20 wheels. So if I do end up doing that I can report...

Meanwhile for those interested in the velologic: http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... hp?t=96734

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:29 pm

That's interesting zebee.

I got an IQ Fly a few months ago, and had only ridden with it on in daylight with the occasional tunnels etc. I was mainly after the hub when I got it so I viewed it as a bit of a bonus, particularly since I was hoping to eventually use the same wheel on different bikes, so I was intending to get another light anyway. I had heard other opinions of being underwhelmed but I had only got as far as looking at the Herrmans lights on eBay.

Anyhow I had the need/opportunity to actually ride in the dark, and I must say I was very pleasantly surprised. I had plenty of light shining where I wanted it. I don't know if it is an artefact of the mounting being presumably higher than on a bent, or the fact that I was running it without a tail light, but I am definitely keeping this one. As soon as my commuter bike is finished, the Fly will be going on that.

Cheers,

Cameron

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:38 am

I thought the Fly was the bees knees when I got it compared to the halogen it replaced. Maybe it is getting old... but then I think mine was 40 lux and they are selling 60 lux ones now, so perhaps yours has more go?

The Cyo is 80 lux and while the big battery things like Ayups have more light they have it absolutely everywhere including into driver's eyes. The cutoff on the Cyo is very clear. I have it high enough that is is below driver eye height (about the start of the windscreen on most cars) so I can see a long way without being a pain to other road users.

I had a look at the standlight LEDs the other night. I am a lazy sod so did not run 200m to see if they were visible but they were very visible at close to 100 so good enough for me. (Bet Plod won't run 200m either...)

Zebee

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:49 am

zebee wrote:I thought the Fly was the bees knees when I got it compared to the halogen it replaced. Maybe it is getting old... but then I think mine was 40 lux and they are selling 60 lux ones now, so perhaps yours has more go?

The Cyo is 80 lux and while the big battery things like Ayups have more light they have it absolutely everywhere including into driver's eyes. The cutoff on the Cyo is very clear. I have it high enough that is is below driver eye height (about the start of the windscreen on most cars) so I can see a long way without being a pain to other road users.

I had a look at the standlight LEDs the other night. I am a lazy sod so did not run 200m to see if they were visible but they were very visible at close to 100 so good enough for me. (Bet Plod won't run 200m either...)

Zebee
Maybe,

I don't think that there is any requirement for the standlight LEDs to be visible at a distance. If someone did want to test that, I'd lift the wheel and spin it anyway, even though it doesn't take much light at all to be visible from a distance in the right conditions.

I'd have to go back to the exact words of the legislation, but I suspect that they haven't changed since they were implemented, and dynamo lights with no standlight used to be ok. I'd argue that the purpose of the law is so that the bike can be seen approaching, in order for other road users to be aware that they may have to give way. To that end what is important, is how the light looks when you are moving.

Cheers,

Cameron

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:04 pm

Ahh couldn't help it.
Victorian Road Rules wrote:259 Riding at night
The rider of a bicycle must not ride at night, or in hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility, unless the bicycle, or the rider, displays—
(a) a flashing or steady white light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres from the front of the bicycle; and
(b) a flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres from the rear of the bicycle; and
(c) a red reflector that is clearly visible for at least 50 metres from the rear of the bicycle when light is projected onto it by a vehicle's headlight on low-beam.
Penalty: 5 penalty units.
So it comes down to: if you are stopped, are you riding or not? It would be a pretty harsh decision to ping someone for inadequate lighting because they stopped at a traffic light.

However the police did book someone in NSW for failing to stop, when in fact he did a track stand.

Whilst it is defendable it would be an unnecessary waste of time to have to go to court over something like that.

Cheers,

Cameron

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:49 pm

I'd want to be seen from behind when stopped at anm intersection, set of lights etc, but in theory the approaching vehicle should be stopping anyway.
zebee wrote:I had a look at the standlight LEDs the other night. I am a lazy sod so did not run 200m to see if they were visible but they were very visible at close to 100 so good enough for me. (Bet Plod won't run 200m either...)
This was discussed recently. I think the consensus was the cop would be running or walking anywhere - what would happen is the cop would get you to ride away & get you to stop at 200m if he or she couldn't see you :D In NSW of course the cop would just check your id & fine you for some dubious reason such as no bell, loose helmet strap or some made up road rule.

Of course the 200m rule is highly dubious - visibility will depend on circumstances - a light that is visible at 200m on a dark night on the hay plains won't be visible on the Vegas strip.

Next time you are riding at night, have a look at how visible tail lights are - some blinkies disappear very quickly.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:02 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Next time you are riding at night, have a look at how visible tail lights are - some blinkies disappear very quickly.
You need to pick up the pace. :)

Cheers,

Cameron