Commuter Confusion

MTB99

Commuter Confusion

Postby MTB99 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:39 pm

Current I commute with a friend twice a week, for me it is 35km each way. I am currently riding a Giant TCX SLR 2 cyclocross bike.

The problem I am having is that my Friend has ditched his cyclocross and started riding hi high spec road bike and it is killing me keeping up with him.

I am trying to decide should I replace the cyclocross with a roadie or do I put some good wheels on the cyclocross, unfortunately I have only very limited knowledge of road bikes and am unsure what way to go, I would hat to spend $650 on new wheels just to find I need a roadie any way

I quite like this bike as it would be my max budget- https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polyg ... mano-ulteg

Please help me make up my mind as my brain hurts

Thanks

march83

Re: Commuter Confusion

Postby march83 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:48 pm

My fastest time from Cumberland Hwy to Emu Plains on the M4 (about 30km (AT) 40kmh+) is on my crosser with slicks and SPD pedals. If the crosser is slower than my roadie then it's not by very much.

Based on that, I say just buy a 2nd set of wheels and run them with nice road slicks and swap the wheels on the weekend to go crossing.

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:29 pm

march85s suggestion is sound, on the other hands it never hurts to have another bike :-)
BTW if you get some nice spare wheels you can always plonk em on a disc ready racer later anyway,

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:17 pm

MTB99 wrote:Please help me

a) tell him to slow down :D
b) put some non-knobbly, supple 700C x 32 to 35mm tyres on. Grand Bois are the n'est plus ultra here but anything labelled "open tubular" will be over kill (e.g. Vittoria Corsa CX Open).
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:35 pm

I am commuting on a CX bike with 28mm Marathon Plus tyres and a 46/38 crankset with 12-32 cassette. Plus rack and pannier bag(s).
It does not slow me down. If i ride with friends on road bikes, I jump on the front and set the pace.
If they want to ride away from me, I let them. It's a commute, not a race.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:31 pm

As mentioned already, proper road Tyres will sort you out. I commute often on my cx bike and usually swap the road wheels in. The cx wheels are like riding on sponges in comparison. Tyres will cost you ~$50 to change over and I think you'll notice an immediate difference.

softy

Postby softy » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:41 pm

Apart from aero (strong headwinds and fast downhill decents) it is all about tyres.

best of both worlds, run challenge strada bianca open tubular cross tyres, they are made the old fashioned way not vulcanised, on soft poly, cotton mix casing. Ride like a road tyre with added air volume comfort.

http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;p ... 35;page=38

Not the cheapest tyre, but gives you the best of both worlds without comprimising the cross bike comfort.

MTB99

Postby MTB99 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:30 am

Thanks all, I am running 28mm Specialized All Condition Armadillo - http://m.specialized.com/au/en-au/ftb/r ... -armadillo

Just recently put some new wheels alloy wheels from TWE on my 29er MTB and I am amazed how much different it made so maybe that is the way to go.

I don't use the CX off road except for a small section on my commute, however I do fasinate about riding it off road more.

Also I totally agree about you can't have to many bikes.

softy

Postby softy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:34 pm

MTB99 wrote:Thanks all, I am running 28mm Specialized All Condition Armadillo - http://m.specialized.com/au/en-au/ftb/r ... -armadillo

Just recently put some new wheels alloy wheels from TWE on my 29er MTB and I am amazed how much different it made so maybe that is the way to go.

I don't use the CX off road except for a small section on my commute, however I do fasinate about riding it off road more.

Also I totally agree about you can't have to many bikes.

I think the answer is there;
Those tyres are almost a half a kilo each!
Armadillos are known for puncture protection not speed, try the tyres i mentioned above and it will be like chalk and cheese. Not only speed but comfort.

I had a set of the conti equavilents on a bike i bought, after the first ride they were off!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:40 pm

Conti GP4000s II's are good. Superb rolling resistance and excellent wet weather grip, better than average puncture protection.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:42 pm

queequeg wrote:If they want to ride away from me, I let them. It's a commute, not a race.

My thoughts exactly. People that cant ride next to you without half wheeling are the pits of the (cycling) world.

PS had a world champion drop in at my place for a coffee this morning on his way back from a training ride.
He was on his CYCLO-CROSS bike as he always is.
A cross bike with decent tyres is fine.
If you are slow its not the fault of the bike.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Nov 15, 2015 8:35 pm

Derny Driver wrote:If you are slow its not the fault of the bike.

oops.......there goes 99% of bike sales over $800.00 :lol:

softy

Postby softy » Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:13 pm

fat and old wrote:
Derny Driver wrote:If you are slow its not the fault of the bike.

oops.......there goes 99% of bike sales over $800.00 :lol:

Hee hee;
Maybe $500, lol.
(Language alert is this vid)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfzEhqx0sDY
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 7506,d.dGY

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:08 am

I commuted on my old TCX for several years- using both 28/25mm tyres- mainly from Schwalbe and Continental. I also did group rides with the TCX and never had a problem keeping up. First step swap out those tyres- get some 25 or 28mm folding tyres- lots out there- GP4000s, Vredestein, Gatorskin, schwalbe. Swapping out the wheelset would have less impact on your riding speeds than lighter/better rolling tyres. Therefore getting fitter or letting people go are the remaining options.

A good roadified CX bike is 99% as fast as a road bike.

MTB99

Postby MTB99 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:17 pm

Sounds like I could be doing the wrong thing

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/woronora ... 1095060162

I already have 4people who want to buy it, MY BRAIN HURTS!!!!!!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:52 pm

Auction it on eBay.

Also, beware of scammers. If they're eager beaver keen, don;t haggle, want to pay by Paypal and organise their own couriers, run a mile.

softy

Postby softy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:57 am

Don't sell it.....

the bike is fine, just get those concrete tyres off the bike and put on some nice road tyres. 25mm or the ones i suggested.

Paldini

Postby Paldini » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:28 am

I'm having the same thoughts as the OP. What if the cx bike frame is really heavy and the commute is very hilly with lots of stop starts?
I commute 20km each way on a cx bike, Kona jake the snake, with gp4000 continentals. It weighs 10.5 kg without the mudguards. I don't ride cross races, I just wanted a light road bike with disc breaks and fenders.

Newcastle Dave

Postby Newcastle Dave » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:36 am

Up until I changed jobs a few months back, I commuted 24 km each way on one of two bikes
1) Cell Omeo
2) Merida Cyclocross - (removed the original knobby tires and fitted with schwalbe sammy slicks

I mostly used the cell, with the cross bike coming out for wet weather (its nice to be able to use brake sin the wet that work, and without sand making a mess of the rims)., Over a period of about 18 months I kept a spreadsheet of the time it took - It was just about always within the range of 45-52 minutes (got it under 45 twice). The difference between my times on the cross bike was within the standard deviation of the times on my cell. (ie, it didn't make a measurable difference)

Where it did make a difference was accelerating to normal speed from either a stop or when I was forced to slow right down. (I was lucky in that 15 km of my commute was on the Fernleigh track, so only 3 intersections but sometimes you need to slow to walking pass before you can safely overtake pedestrians). Once up to speed I could sit on much the same speed on either bike with no noticeable difference

So my opinion would be if your commute requires LOTS of stopping and starting, you may notice a difference with a lighter road bike, if not, just get some better tires and go for it

Macca_CX

Postby Macca_CX » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:25 am

I agree with Newcastle Dave.

I was commuting on a ridley xfire with 28s before unfortunately having to let it go.

I got a aero bike as a replacement. I have taken around 3-4 minutes off my standard commute. The bike is factor as I find I bolt from the lights compared to the CX (a lot of lights on my commute). However I think an increase in fitness is also a factor.

I say keep the CX bike. Change the tyres and aim for a lighter wheelset or if you have cash a lighter CX bike. CX are great for commutes and great for practicing mtb skills along the way (gutter jumps etc)

I'm looking to get another one (sizing is an issue for me) eventually.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:12 pm

I understand how the op is thinking.....

light bike roadie and all that.

But he is under estimating the difference tyres make, people pay $100 bucks for tyres for a reason. They roll so much better and give better grip. Changing the bike and running the same puncture proof tyres will result in very little difference.

Absolute weight doesn't make much difference, wheel weight does make the bike accelerate quicker. Aero does help but only in headwinds and high speeds, but dropping your headset and slamming can help here too, by getting your upright body a little less out of the wind.

So i say save your money, try the slick top end tyres first, if your still not happy then think about a new bike.

you could always drop 5kg, that will make you faster, hee hee.

MTB99

Postby MTB99 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:39 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice, I thought I should confess.

I did sell the TCX and have bought a roadie, Focus Cayo - http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/c ... -15-49102/

Have had a few commutes and road rides on it now and am really enjoying, in fact I am thinking about joining the local cycling club. When I check strava and compare my average commute speed between the two bikes it has increased by about 3km/h and what I am finding is that I don't feel as tired after the ride, I could possibly add an additional commute day.

At the moment I feel I have made the right choice for me, maybe the MTB might only get one ride on the weekend instead of the usual two and the Roadie might get a go.

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:39 pm

Nice bike the Focus - congrats!
ALL THE ABOVEIS TRUE

softy

Postby softy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:14 am

A done deal, slick machine.
nice bike.

Now ride the wheels of it!

Enjoy.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:27 am

MTB99 wrote:Hi All,

Thanks for the advice, I thought I should confess.

I did sell the TCX and have bought a roadie, Focus Cayo - http://www.bikeradar.com/au/road/gear/c ... -15-49102/

Have had a few commutes and road rides on it now and am really enjoying, in fact I am thinking about joining the local cycling club. When I check strava and compare my average commute speed between the two bikes it has increased by about 3km/h and what I am finding is that I don't feel as tired after the ride, I could possibly add an additional commute day.

At the moment I feel I have made the right choice for me, maybe the MTB might only get one ride on the weekend instead of the usual two and the Roadie might get a go.

That's a nice bike. :) Now, as for not feeling as tired - I think that means you've got to pick up the speed a bit. :twisted: (j/k)